Yukiiz

First Name
Yuki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sedan 16
Country flag
Yes. Not disagreeing with any ideas here.
also the alingment should not have any correlation to the EPS issue- so that is odd and the first I have heard it being a factor. I wonder if at the time of the alingment the EPS/ steering was also recalibrated? So for the time being I will wait and see.
People here did alignment and the problem still there, weeks behind I tried the recalibrate and the obd computer said that where perfect so recalibrate is is not the solution too because my steering wheel still stiff… IMO the main problem is the temperature because is normal speed in the city is perfect but highway is the problem ?? or if you are driving for more that 20-30 min city
Sponsored

systolediastole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Just wanted to jump in and say hello. I've also been having this issue with my 2017 EX-T (~90k miles). Started noticing the notchiness about a month ago after I got new tires. Thought it was due to the new tires at first and got an alignment, but the issue didn't go away.

Very similar to what others have noticed – seems to only happen on hotter days and after driving the car for 20 minutes or so. More noticeable on a straight stretch of highway when making minor corrections to keep the car centered. Doesn't seem like a mechanical issue since it comes and goes. On good days, the car feels perfectly normal. As of now, just waiting to see if it'll go away as the weather gets cooler. I did find it interesting that this wasn't an issue until the new tires.. maybe that somehow messed up the EPS or something.

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Bump. Finally took my ‘16 Touring in today to have the dealer look at steering issue. I spoke to the service manager a couple of weeks ago and he was aware of the problem and said he thought the fix was a new steering rack. I asked him if Honda was offering any extended warranty for this known issue and he said they did extend the warranty on some models and that I should bring mine in to have it diagnosed. Today was that day and the advisor had not heard of the problem. After $148 check out, they said, “no fault codes. Inspection found torque sensor magnet sticking and shifting.” This item is not serviced separately and requires that the entire steering rack be replaced for $3169.60. i asked the advisor if Honda was stepping up to cover any of this (as it is a known short coming) and he said no. Only some models of the CRV were recalled for this issue.

Anyone ask Honda for “good will” help for this issue and get it? Porsche Cars North America would often offer good Will assistance on cars out of warranty with known deficiencies, even if it was only “we’ll cover the part and you cover the labor.” Seems like Honda would do the right thing on an issue as safety related as steering.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Dude, I've just gotten used to it. It's annoying when stopped or driving straight, but hasn't caused any problems

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Same issue here. I have a ‘16 Touring with only about 30K miles. It’s nothing that would cause an accident but VERY annoying. Love the car with the exception of the steering, the rain sensor w/s wipers and the audio system. I haven’t had one problem with it other than these annoyances.
SAME... i have a 16 Touring and i am at 82,000 but uts been doing this for a few years.. out of warranty to just living with it.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just replaced my tie rod ends and ball joints, only driven it for a few days, but I haven't left the stiff steering since

Porsche tech

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Odyssey EX-L, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just replaced my tie rod ends and ball joints, only driven it for a few days, but I haven't left the stiff steering since
SAME... i have a 16 Touring and i am at 82,000 but uts been doing this for a few years.. out of warranty to just living with it.
Bump. Finally took my ‘16 Touring in today to have the dealer look at steering issue. I spoke to the service manager a couple of weeks ago and he was aware of the problem and said he thought the fix was a new steering rack. I asked him if Honda was offering any extended warranty for this known issue and he said they did extend the warranty on some models and that I should bring mine in to have it diagnosed. Today was that day and the advisor had not heard of the problem. After $148 check out, they said, “no fault codes. Inspection found torque sensor magnet sticking and shifting.” This item is not serviced separately and requires that the entire steering rack be replaced for $3169.60. i asked the advisor if Honda was stepping up to cover any of this (as it is a known short coming) and he said no. Only some models of the CRV were recalled for this issue.

Anyone ask Honda for “good will” help for this issue and get it? Porsche Cars North America would often offer good Will assistance on cars out of warranty with known deficiencies, even if it was only “we’ll cover the part and you cover the labor.” Seems like Honda would do the right thing on an issue as safety related as steering.
since the Honda dealer has checked it, it is very drivable…stickiness is pretty much non existent. Divine intervention?

hrmsfzer

First Name
Chen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan canada spec
Country flag
Mine is 2017 Canadian Civic Si sedan.

I found that when the battery gets weak, Electronic power steering can become stiff and notchy.
My OEM battery fades slightly after 3 years/45k miles, and the EPS symptom is that when I turn the steering wheel to a fixed angle, and then I want to turn it to the center, I will feel stiff and hard to return to the center in the beginning.

I replaced the battery with a smaller size in car shop, but the steering feeling is still there, and when driving straight, it is not easy to keep in the center of a lane.

I later copied the conditions under which the symptom appeared:
1. The engine room temperature should be high enough.
2. Turn on the air conditioner.
3. Turn on the audio.
4. Turn the steering wheel slowly (angular velocity for in-lane correction on the highway)
The steering is heavy and tight when the EPS system goes from standby to kick-in.

I think back on whether I made any changes to the car during this period at all, and it doesn't feel like a mechanical failure. Seeing many American owners complaining about such issues (difficulty going straight on the freeway, drifting left and right in the lane) and after replacing the EPS rack, it still occurs after a period of time. (The same issues also occurs on 2017 to 2022 Taiwan-spec CR-V. )

Then I saw that the fuse of the EPS system is an astonishing 70A specification. What a electric power consumption of EPS system.

During this period, Except for changing the tires, the only change and attenuation of the vehicle is probably the battery (original Group47/LN2 battery attenuation > replaced a smaller LBN2 battery)
So I replaced the battery with a battery similar to the original specification (CIVIC battery in Canada is Group47/LN2, different from 51R battery in US, which has larger CCA and amp-hours)

After the new OEM spec(Group47/LN2 which has 650CCA 60AH specs) battery replacement, the problem of hard and notchy steering disappears when driving at high or low speeds and quick or slow turning. The above findings are for your reference.

Last edited:

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
Very early 2016 LX MT here (bought Dec 2015)

Canadian model, built in Alliston, ON

No Honda Sensing or any fancy lane junk on this car.

I don't know what battery I have offhand, but it's whatever came with the car.

So glad that I found this thread, thought I was losing my damn mind.
Been experiencing this problem (on & off) for a long time...

Fortunately the problem is currently on hiatus for me...
but I do not drive much at all on a daily basis - no commute.

My issue has been that at highway speeds on a long "straight" road, that the small steering inputs you normally apply to keep in your lane, due to wind gusts, etc... require more steering input or force than is normal to overcome a "sticking" sensation. The result is that instead of turning the car say ... 2 degrees left or right as you required, now it has turned 5+ degrees ... and that is too much.

Scary as F### when it happens and I cannot believe there has not been a recall.

I get my car wheels/tires swapped every season (winter/steel-> all-season ->... ) at the dealership and always get an alignment at that time. In the past I've thought maybe the alignment was off a bit, but clearly that is not it at all. If this happens again at least now I have this info, so thank you all.

Last edited:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Once i replaced LCA, ball joints, and tie rod ends.... I haven't experienced this issue

kommong2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have the same issue where streeing is jerky or resisting turning when driving more so when driving fast . Called Honda and they said no recall would have to pay from my pocket if dealer has to replace. Doesn't make sense if so many people have the similar issue.

RollSeven

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I have the same issue where streeing is jerky or resisting turning when driving more so when driving fast . Called Honda and they said no recall would have to pay from my pocket if dealer has to replace. Doesn't make sense if so many people have the similar issue.
Thankfully I have an extended warranty that covered the repair. The Honda dealership ended up having to replace the entire steering rack. The job cost between 2k & 3k, if I remember correctly.

Between this issue and the constant AC issues I've had since buying my 2016 Civic, I will definitely do more research on any future Honda, or other vehicle brand before buying in the future.