Si Warped Rotors

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
I have had a 17 Si Coupe and currently commute in a 20 Si Coupe. Both cars had a good pulse/vibration from the brakes starting at around 10kmiles which just gets worse. My 20 Si has 42k miles and every time I hit the brakes the shudder drives me crazy. It’s a lot worse if outside temps are over 80 or so. I don’t want to mess with the dealer as they will say wear and tear but reality is this car was used for freeway commuting in no traffic. I have owned 10+ other Honda/Acuras from new and all have gone over 100k on stock pads/rotors.

Anyhow what are my best replacement options for rotors/pads for a stock car/commuter?

Appreciate any help!
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Anything oem equivalent from Autozone etc. will work just fine. I had some issues with my brakes recently also, specifically what appeared to be a frozen pad on the rear driverside, although if i remember to post some pictures something else definitely went wrong but I dealt with it until the car started shaking during braking.

As long as you change the pads/rotors or have it done as long as the shop is good or you put a little effort into greasing slide pins etc. well and make sure the pads/calipers are sitting right after you should be fine. I think the brakes just didnt receive enough tlc when installed from factory

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Stop tech for the win for a reliable, solid feel. So far, one of the best mods I’ve done. Replaced my warped rotors 20k miles ago and they’re still holding up like champs.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Stop tech for the win for a reliable, solid feel. So far, one of the best mods I’ve done. Replaced my warped rotors 20k miles ago and they’re still holding up like champs.
Agreed, I just put slotted stoptech rotors on a few weeks ago when I addressed my own issue. Stuck with OEM-ish pads but they feel great anyway. I also took the time to clean and paint the calipers black and even without a larger big brake caliper they look real nice now

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
my stock rotors went 70k miles and could've gone longer if i didn't want to switch up to slotted and drilled rotors. i went with a set off ebay for around $200 for all 4 rotors and pads so far they have been solid.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I did pads/rotors all 4 corners on my 17 Si at 80k because I couldn’t stand the shaking any more. I found that there wasn’t really any grease on anything. I had lots of pad material left. Rears were wearing a bit unevenly, which seems common.

I did get my brakes pretty hot on some curvy roads, but the shaking started before that.

-Don’t ride the brakes down long inclines. Try downshifting and engine braking as much as possible. (This car doesn’t have strong engine braking because of rev hang tuning and size)

-Don’t over torque lugs. This puts pressure on the rotor and can cause warping issues

-Upgrade to aftermarket rotors if you are doing anything other than occasional spirited street driving.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Agreed, I just put slotted stoptech rotors on a few weeks ago when I addressed my own issue. Stuck with OEM-ish pads but they feel great anyway. I also took the time to clean and paint the calipers black and even without a larger big brake caliper they look real nice now
Nice! I want to paint my calipers as well. Just not sure what color yet.

Mind posting a pic of how your calipers came out?

SilkyMittsSI

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Sierra 2500HD Dmax, ‘19 Civic SI, ‘14 Civic LX
Country flag
Just changed mine this past weekend, did all 4 corners, 73k miles and when you hit the brake the vibration/pulse was wild.

I went with Powerstops Geomet coated rotors and ceramic pads, and it brakes super smooth now! Haven’t had them on very long but so far so good!

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just changed mine this past weekend, did all 4 corners, 73k miles and when you hit the brake the vibration/pulse was wild.

I went with Powerstops Geomet coated rotors and ceramic pads, and it brakes super smooth now! Haven’t had them on very long but so far so good!
I have a buddy running powerstops on his WRX. He’s liked them for the price. He mentioned they do need to heat up a bit to have a nice bite and after a couple thousand miles, they squeal a bit.

Last edited:

lowlife.drew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My fronts warped around 40k miles. I resurfaced them, sanded my pads flat for any imperfections. Lasted about 2 weeks, did it a second time, warped again. I think it’s a random issue with the rotor, cause 2 of my buddies had the same issue around that mileage range. Pads last long as hell compared to Nissan though 😂 Still had about 6mm left on the original pads. Just went ahead and swapped in the PowerStops with drilled & slotted rotors, haven’t had an issue since, currently at ~65k miles. Rears never had an issue, just upgraded so my brakes match around 50k miles.
If you go PowerStop, make sure you follow their break-in process. It’s fairly aggressive but, my brakes don’t squeal like other people complain about. If you do it right, you’re good to go. I’m sure StopTech is similar. Takes a few minutes of warm up to get a good bite but, they’re one hell of an upgrade for street pads for like $300ish

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This is the rotor from the rear driver side that had a frozen pad, and probably some other wacky stuff going on too. View attachment 385192
Honda Civic 10th gen Si Warped Rotors 20230813_171627

Honda Civic 10th gen Si Warped Rotors 20230813_171631

Here are the new rotors and painted calipers:
Honda Civic 10th gen Si Warped Rotors 20230813_163525
Honda Civic 10th gen Si Warped Rotors 20230813_174703

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That rust is bad! How’s the rest of the undercarriage?
Very minimal, especially considering i cant get an undershield to not come off to save my life lol

I used the SOP (i believe is the brand) rotor kit. Has the cleaner, etcher and paint. The paint is pretty hardcore and honestly when i do get around to touching up the frame ill probably just use the same stuff

Edit: the brand is "POR"

SilkyMittsSI

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Sierra 2500HD Dmax, ‘19 Civic SI, ‘14 Civic LX
Country flag
Ya I’ve heard a few people say they start to squeal, I thought that was more with the drilled and slotted rotors. But only time will tell, I don’t drive the car all that much so hopefully not an issue but if it is I’ll be changing them out.

I have a buddy running powerstops on his WRX. He’s liked them for the price. He mentioned they do need to heat up a bit to get a nice and after a couple thousand miles, they squeal a bit.
Sponsored