First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got my rear rotors and pad changed, the slight shake when braking is gone. See how long these centric rotors last.
Sponsored

Reactions: 1Si

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Hi all,

Anyone here had warped rotors on their Si early on? I only have 15k miles on mine and I think I might have warped rotors.

My daily commute consists of LA traffic and crappy(shaky) freeway drive and didn't really noticed any shaking 'til last weekend when I drove on a relatively smoother/ better freeway. I noticed that the car, I can feel it in the steering wheel and on the pedal, would shake when braking on the freeway. Not hard braking, just enough to slow down the car. I'm not exactly sure as to what speed range it shakes, but it for sure goes away once I release the brakes.

Any inputs/ experiences with this issue? How can I make sure its warped rotors before I bring it in to the dealer? And will this be covered under warranty, or am I better off getting aftermarket parts instead?

I just find it weird that it would get bad this early on, I've had a few cars before this Si and never had warping issues or any brake issues besides normal wear and tear.

Thanks
I watched a video where a mechanic said that rotors can be warped by lug nuts being over torqued with impacts. They are only supposed to be torqued to 80 lb/ft of torque. Supposedly when they get over torqued they tend to warp once they get heated up. That’s why I rotate my own tires and use a torque wrench when tightening down. Have you had anybody rotate your tires or remove your rims for any reason?

OP
OP
1Si

1Si

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Got my rear rotors and pad changed, the slight shake when braking is gone. See how long these centric rotors last.
Keep us posted. I’m still deciding on how I wanna go about on mine.

OP
OP
1Si

1Si

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I watched a video where a mechanic said that rotors can be warped by lug nuts being over torqued with impacts. They are only supposed to be torqued to 80 lb/ft of torque. Supposedly when they get over torqued they tend to warp once they get heated up. That’s why I rotate my own tires and use a torque wrench when tightening down. Have you had anybody rotate your tires or remove your rims for any reason?
Yes this is a good advice. For others who dont have issues yet, check this. However I do all the maintenance myself. No mechanic has actually touched my car yet. And yes, I do use a torque wrench on everything lol So I think, that wasn’t the issue for me.

The salesguy that got me my car is a family friend, he said his civicx also needed rotors early on. I guess thats just how it is and it’d be best to just address this myself and get aftermarket rotors and pads

zhendexing

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Keep us posted. I’m still deciding on how I wanna go about on mine.
You need to figure out if it’s the front or rear or both. Run you finger across the rotor surface to see if there’s deep grooves. There are semi-deep grooves on my rear OE rotors.
And my rear pads were down to about 50% with 15k miles on the car. I’m guessing the OE front pads are about to give in soon.

Reactions: 1Si
OP
OP
1Si

1Si

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
You need to figure out if it’s the front or rear or both. Run you finger across the rotor surface to see if there’s deep grooves. There are semi-deep grooves on my rear OE rotors.
And my rear pads were down to about 50% with 15k miles on the car. I’m guessing the OE front pads are about to give in soon.
Will check that later when it cools down a bit. If I remember correctly both front and rear seemed to have the same grooves when looking at it, but I’ll double check. I might just replace all four tho, just to be done with it lol
Sponsored