Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Turbo is supposed to be delivered this Friday, I'm posting this thread and saving a few posts for pictures and a write up along side installing and getting tuned by Drob. Hoping to be tuned and finished within a month depending on work.

Follow the journey haha

*UPDATE 1/6/2022* - Turbo is here! I took some photos, I will take some with measurements later today also.
Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1641496441578

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1641496463330

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1641496483358

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1641496534582

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1641496558991

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1641496580099

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1641496595499

EDIT2 1/18/2022: I made a new post pointing out the delays i've had but realized I forgot to share some of the other information I had at start after communicating with Vargas and obtaining the turbo. I was unable to get an Install Kit along with the turbo when Vargas sent it to me, which means this install will really show how the fitment is compared to factory, other than a few specific things I'm replacing (with OEM) on install:

1: Turbo-manifold gasket
2: Turbo-downpipe gasket
3: Replacement Downpipe studs
(All three of these items replaced are OEM replacements, nothing aftermarket, oil and coolant gaskets, etc. will be reused IF POSSIBLE, car has ~50,000 miles.)

The other item of note is oil weight since I do know bigger turbos so far have suggested different than OEM weights. I asked specifically about changing oil weights and Vargas' recommendation and they stated they prefer using 0w-40 or 5w-40 with their units. (Amsoil brand, which is the brand I already use as well) I was originally going to use 0w-40, however since I was unable to get enough of the 0w-40 for free AND the fact that its now that cold north-eastern winter here, I'm opting Amsoil Signature 0w-30 for now. (And for free. Big seller. Main seller...)

TLDR: Few OEM part refreshes, and Oil will be Amsoil signature 0w-30, to be changed a week from now, ahead of install and tune.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neddih

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
INSTALL DETAILS:

Just to refresh I did not purchase an install kit with the turbo, however I did purchase a new OEM turbo-manifold gasket and OEM turbo downpipe gasket, as well as RV6 downpipe studs and nuts (their downpipe hardware kit) If you were to purchase an install kit I assume all of these would be included as well as the coolant line studs and oil/coolant gaskets. Turbos compared side by side and fitment during install pictured below.

For someone who hasn't changed a turbo before, the install was super easy. One thing I can say is make sure you clamp the upper and lower coolant lines closed WELL. Oops.

After the downpipe and inlet pipe were removed I broke the bolts and nuts to the manifold loose, then removed the turbo support bracket. disconnecting all of the original lines was easy and I did not disconnect any of the lower connections from the engine only at the turbo. If you are doing this yourself make sure not to lose any of the gaskets that go with their connections, this includes a small copper o-ring on the bottom of the top oil line connection. with the upper coolant line already pinched and disconnected from the pipe that attaches to the turbo the coolant hard lines were easy to work around and pull the old turbo out and put the new turbo in. Before putting the new turbo in I used the 2-nut strategy to pull the old coolant line studs from the OEM turbo and put them on the new one. after this it was as simple as making sure the original gaskets were in place and attaching the OEM lines back to the turbo.

There was only 1 part of the turbo install that gave me any issue (looking at you 27won inlet pipe, love the part but HUGE pain) and that was getting the turbo support bracket back on. As far as fitment goes the bracket fit, but no matter how much tetris I played with it I was unable to get it bolted back into the turbo and the engine at the same time. However this was fixed by filing out more of an opening towards end of the backet that bolts to the turbo and it didn't take much. I don't think this was really a fitment issue. I put a photo of the bracket at the bottom of this post, the part I filed out towards is where the black is left from the large washer, towards the left.

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644447559238

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644447574897

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644447640929
`
Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644447681000

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644447711878

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644447743479

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neddih

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
TUNING:

After the install I loaded the temp tune that Drob provided me and took the car to his office and let the man work his magic. The car was tuned on 93 oct and made 304whp/314wtq. The turbo spools earlier on like the W1 and takes off, the curves from the tune are amazing. Completely different car now. Needless to say this was as good as I could possibly hoped for and I believe 304 is one of the higher numbers on 93 oct? The turbo has impressed me from unboxing, to install, to results and I recommend it to anyone looking. If you are going to get a custom tune, let Drob the wizard do it, the car feels AMAZING. Below are some photos of the curve and a video of the last dyno pull.

HUGE shoutout/thanks to Drob, Vargas, 27Won, PRL and members on these forums because without any of it I never would have taken on such a great on-going project. Now off I go to update gtman's reliability thread!

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644448362850

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644448503894

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results 1644448672380

Attachments

Last edited:

OP
OP
Neddih

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
First photos added, looks great, and Vargas was a pleasure to work with, especially considering when I originally reached out to them it was about a question regarding my PRE-ORDER, and ended up being able to get one now. As of now I will be getting a better idea of when install and tune can happen after I get back next week.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Exciting stuff. That turbo looks fantastic.

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
After looking into this turbo more, im
Double excited to see how this turns out. :love::love::headbang::headbang::spaz::drive:

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just read about them last night. Didn’t realize they just appeared on the 10 Gen scene.
Pumped to see how these do.

keep us up to “speed”!

MrJustin81

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The “it connects to ALL OEM tubing” is what has me day dreaming lol

OP
OP
Neddih

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just a quick update for everyone: Unfortunately this week did not go as planned due to none other than my boss. (Yeeeeah I said it.) Which put me behind more than I wanted but unless he screws up again I should have a date for tuning at IMW figured out sometime next week, and the install will happen the week before that. Good news is I used my free time well to make time before I can do the install to doublecheck the car from top to bottom, might as well.

Goal is to get the install done as soon as possible ~2-3 weeks from now and the tuning scheduled for as close as possible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neddih

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just wanted to give everyone an update:

I am set to get tuned with drob at IMW on the 8th. Have not done the install yet, I may be updating both the install and tuning posts at the same time once all is said and done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neddih

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Alright, I'll update with more details tomorrow but for everyone wondering:

Turbo is a direct bolt on and literally everything factory can be re-used on install and fits all factory lines. Turbo performed GREAT on dyno with Drob, 304hp 314tq, and he said it would have likely been another 40hp ontop of that with flex fuel. Below is the curve:

Honda Civic 10th gen Vargas Turbo journey and review/results SI_You_Drob__2-8-2022

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Torque curve looks nice, looks like boost comes In sooner than the RV6 turbo.
Sponsored