Fly_2019_Si

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi there! Unfortunate that this issue is the reason I just found these forums, because it seems like there must be tons of good stuff here! Anyway, I did some quick searching of the forums but this issue seems a bit different from what I've seen.

Background: picked up a lease on a 2019 Si Coupe circa 2019-11-30. No problems with the car to date (except for it getting sideswiped while parked on the street - thankfully the damage was purely cosmetic). I took the vehicle in for its first oil change at the dealership a week and a half ago (Sat. 2019-05-04) at approx. 4500 mi. and 60% oil life remaining.

Issue: today, driving on the freeway toward the airport, I noticed white smoke in the rearview mirror. Didn't see smoke from the hood. Got off at the nearest exit. While coming down the off-ramp, the car threw up a "check oil level" warning light. Pulled over, looked underneath the car, and it was leaking oil like a sieve. I did not not hit anything, nor did I notice any damage when taking a look under the car. Prior to this incident, I hadn't observed any oil leaks, nor any mechanical issues. I had the car towed to the dealership.

Based on my past experience of changing my oil for many years, I'm guessing that either the drain plug or the oil filter weren't properly tightened.

I plan to call the dealership tomorrow and try to sort this out, but I'm curious to hear how y'all would recommend approaching this. I'm now exposed to:
  • direct damages (hundreds of dollars for re-booking flights on short notice, or flight cancellation fees, if this turns out to be a bigger issue).
  • potential damages (potential engine damage from driving with insufficient oil)
  • personal damages (general inconvenience and time lost, the fact that I won't see my girlfriend for 12 weeks thanks to my trip getting derailed, etc.)
I'm really upset by this, but am hopeful that the emotions settle out by tomorrow morning. Any suggestions y'all could offer would be appreciated - thanks in advance. :)
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Potential damage should be an easy argument. I’m sure they’ll put up a good fight on direct damages. You can mention your “personal damages” but I don’t think you are going to get anywhere with that.

Unfortunately this is not the first time a forum member has reported this happening. Search around and you can find some similar cases.