Riding the clutch in reverse

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I understand that people often ride the clutch a little more in reverse than, for example, first gear. Imagine the speed at which you reverse out of a parking space. Manufacturers know this and the clutch is expected to take this kind of wear with negligible effects to longevity. But here is where my concern lies: I reverse uphill into my garage. The incline and short length of driveway, as well as angle of approach from the alley, necessitate riding the clutch through the whole process (about 15 seconds). I tried fully engaging the clutch one time and thought I was going to rocket into my wife's car, so that won't be happening again. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or is this within reasonable levels of normal wear?

For anyone who wonders why I reverse in, there are several reasons:
1) I try to keep my car as far away from my wife's car as possible, which is easier to accomplish when I'm closer to the wall I'm trying to hug. I'm not saying anyone is careless about opening doors, I'm just saying I can't be the only married guy on this forum.
2) The driveway ends in an alley lined with tall fences and so visibility is really poor as I potentially enter traffic. It feels slightly safer driving forward into the unknown rather than reversing into it.
3) If there is one incontrovertible fact in the world of driving, it's that pulling forward out of a parking space is infinitely superior to reversing out of a parking space.
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I reverse uphill into my garage. On the stock clutch it was a pain in the ass. I would expect a normal clutch to be fine with this behavior on a regular basis but with how marginal the factory Si clutch is, it's hard to know.

When I swapped out for the ACT organic clutch, slipping the clutch to back up into the garage got so much easier. The grab while slipping it is super consistent and easy to modulate unlike the factory clutch. Plus I don't feel bad about doing it since the ACT clutch is designed for hard use.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
No, thankfully
That's good, however the additional wear from regularly slipping the clutch for an extended time like that might be the difference between holding a tune and slipping on a tune.

I'd say if you're keeping it stock, the wear should not be a problem for a long time. But as always, if you're tuning be wary of the clutch.

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
Probably not much of an issue. How many times do you back into the garage a day?
I'd just devise some kind of clip on barrier so I could drive straight in, and not worry about the clutch.
Should be even less of an issue for a 2020.
[Lower gearing in reverse]

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Your clutch is fine as long as you don't hit boost or try to tow your wife's auto up the drive.
Most of us "hilltowners" ride the clutch when starting up, or down(in reverse)!
Being aggressive or holding it on an uphill by "riding the clutch" UNNECESSARILY is another issue.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I don't even like pulling head first out of my driveway which is inclined towards the house... so I'm driving uphill when I'm pulling out. It's a decent slope and I hate it.