ready to replace first set of tires

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
OP said he was not able to buy a new set of wheels before winter. His best bet is to buy a set of 20" all season tires for the winter to get by.
just buy a set of wheels for all season tires. its what i did and many others too. my 18s have conti dws06 p. good tire.

my plan is when summer comes back ill put the 20s back on. probably get 3 summers out of the original tires.
Sponsored

OP
OP

icedrummer

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you want all season: Continental DWS06, General GMAX AS-05 are some good tires.
thanks, what size you recommend? In other words what size is gonna offer most protection from potholes, etc. and also not rub?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
thanks, what size you recommend? In other words what size is gonna offer most protection from potholes, etc. and also not rub?
Personally, i'd just go with 245/35r20 to be closer to stock but give a little extra bit of thickness while minimizing the effect on the speedometer.

I will probably go with that size myself after i wear out my set of stock continentals.

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
255/35/20 tires are wider but cheaper. Guessing that size is more common.

Just an exxample from tirerack:
Michelllin PS4 245/35/20 - $380 per tire
Michellin PS4 255/35/20 - $310 per tire

OP
OP

icedrummer

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I agree. I’ve had these tires for 2 years. The extra half inch height is much more forgiving on bumps and potholes. Plus they are all season. I got mine at Discount Tire. Around $800 otd.
about to make my purchase, out of curiosity why did you go with 245 instead of 255? I'm considering 255/35/20 over 245/35/20. I've gathered that 255 will affect speedometer more, but besides that what other issues? Won't it technically offer more protection that the 245, or is it just the aspect ratio being raised to 35 that offers the extra protection? Thanks in advance.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
about to make my purchase, out of curiosity why did you go with 245 instead of 255? I'm considering 255/35/20 over 245/35/20. I've gathered that 255 will affect speedometer more, but besides that what other issues? Won't it technically offer more protection that the 245, or is it just the aspect ratio being raised to 35 that offers the extra protection? Thanks in advance.
the 35 sidewall thickness is 35% of the tire width so its a combination of both. 255 35 will have a taller sidewall(more protection) than a 245 35(which offers more protection than the 30 obvi) but, to make matters worse every manufacturer has variances in the size. so if you compare use the exact same brand and type. also, if you dont care for a speedo/odometer being off a little go for the bigger tire.

OP
OP

icedrummer

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
the 35 sidewall thickness is 35% of the tire width so its a combination of both. 255 35 will have a taller sidewall(more protection) than a 245 35(which offers more protection than the 30 obvi) but, to make matters worse every manufacturer has variances in the size. so if you compare use the exact same brand and type. also, if you dont care for a speedo/odometer being off a little go for the bigger tire.
thanks. I appreciate the honest response. After you explained it it was obvious but I’m still learning a lot. I appreciate people on this forum don’t quickly denigrate people that don’t know a lot (other forums aren’t so forgiving ?). I hadn’t even thought about odometer (just speedometer). No worries on it rubbing at all at this size?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
255/35/20 tires are wider but cheaper. Guessing that size is more common.

Just an exxample from tirerack:
Michelllin PS4 245/35/20 - $380 per tire
Michellin PS4 255/35/20 - $310 per tire
Yikes!! :eek: I've paid less than that for all 4 corners. Are 20"ers really that much more expensive?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Yikes!! :eek: I've paid less than that for all 4 corners. Are 20"ers really that much more expensive?
Combination of the tire and size. Michelin PS4S are still 200+ a pop in 18". They're a popular tire with good performance. I would imagine you're not getting the same 4 Michelins for sub $400 altogether.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I must be one of the few people on this forum who doesn't think the PS4S is the way to go.
My son has them on his CTR. I've driven it - meh. They're OK, but not anything special in my opinion.
I replaced the OEM Dunlops on my WRX with PS4S. I really thought the Dunlops were better - quieter, more grip, especially in the rain.
I like the OEM Continentals. I'll likely use them again when the originals wear out.
One person's opinion.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
thanks. I appreciate the honest response. After you explained it it was obvious but I’m still learning a lot. I appreciate people on this forum don’t quickly denigrate people that don’t know a lot (other forums aren’t so forgiving ?). I hadn’t even thought about odometer (just speedometer). No worries on it rubbing at all at this size?
your welcome.?
You shouldnt rub with those tires at stock height. Lowered not sure

Bobbyt

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I must be one of the few people on this forum who doesn't think the PS4S is the way to go.
My son has them on his CTR. I've driven it - meh. They're OK, but not anything special in my opinion.
I replaced the OEM Dunlops on my WRX with PS4S. I really thought the Dunlops were better - quieter, more grip, especially in the rain.
I like the OEM Continentals. I'll likely use them again when the originals wear out.
One person's opinion.
If a type r "meh" your wrx is a piece of junk .The type r destroys a wrx and also sti p.s I owned a 2016 sti and it was slow ?

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
OP do you garage your car? Are you in a metro area? All seasons are not needed a place like Charlotte for example if you're not intending to drive sub 20 degree days or in the one or two snow days we get a year. I've been on PS4S for the past few years work great most of the year, OK in the cold. Obviously anything under 20 degrees is not recommended at all (since it affects the tire compound and longevity of the the tire) but really depends on your situation.

Also I recommend you look into the Yokohama Advan Apex V601 as an alternative if you haven't already pulled the trigger. Way better price point. For me they have similar steering feel to the OEMs (you lose some in the PS4S since it has a slightly thicker sidewall) while having better overall grip on track than (OEM gets greasy sooner).

VS the Michelins they have slightly less lap after lap grip and less meat on the rim of the wheel, so if curbing is a concern that's something to consider. For the money vs performance though I think I will lean towards this tire as my dual purpose choice (street/light track) even when I switch to 18s. The small compromises on the Advans are completely eclipsed the roughly 4 hundred dollar difference on a full set, the Michelin's have gotten too expensive for what they bring to the table. (~980 for v601 vs ~1400 dollars for Pilot Sports)

OP
OP

icedrummer

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks everyone for all the advice. One final question (I hope). I ordered the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season last night from TireRack in 255/35/20. I felt good about the decision. Then this morning TireRack called me to verify that I actually wanted that size, saying they worried it would “rub” because it will be approximately 1.5 inches taller. I explained from all my research talking to people who’ve bought these tires in this size (AND I AM NOT LOWERED at all), that this size should work. Am I being paranoid for thinking they will rub? Again, I’m a newbie and don’t have a lot of experience with this so want to make sure I’m still made the right decision. Thanks in advance, and for tolerating my possibly naive questions ?.

OP
OP

icedrummer

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
OP do you garage your car? Are you in a metro area? All seasons are not needed a place like Charlotte for example if you're not intending to drive sub 20 degree days or in the one or two snow days we get a year. I've been on PS4S for the past few years work great most of the year, OK in the cold. Obviously anything under 20 degrees is not recommended at all (since it affects the tire compound and longevity of the the tire) but really depends on your situation.

Also I recommend you look into the Yokohama Advan Apex V601 as an alternative if you haven't already pulled the trigger. Way better price point. For me they have similar steering feel to the OEMs (you lose some in the PS4S since it has a slightly thicker sidewall) while having better overall grip on track than (OEM gets greasy sooner).

VS the Michelins they have slightly less lap after lap grip and less meat on the rim of the wheel, so if curbing is a concern that's something to consider. For the money vs performance though I think I will lean towards this tire as my dual purpose choice (street/light track) even when I switch to 18s. The small compromises on the Advans are completely eclipsed the roughly 4 hundred dollar difference on a full set, the Michelin's have gotten too expensive for what they bring to the table. (~980 for v601 vs ~1400 dollars for Pilot Sports)
Thanks For the response. I had already purchased before I saw your response. Good information to consider for next time. Look at my follow up response below, and tell me what you think. Thanks.
Sponsored