Rattling noise

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
In the trunk.

1475245206399.jpg
Hey, thanks, can I ask how you removed the clip..Was it just one side. thanks again, I HATE rattles. I think when I get it off, I will use some clear silicone and the clamp it overnight.

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
Hey, thanks, can I ask how you removed the clip..Was it just one side. thanks again, I HATE rattles. I think when I get it off, I will use some clear silicone and the clamp it overnight.
I can't because it wasn't me. I read it on the forums. Search trunk rattle I'm sure it will come up.

Civictour16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Anyone else hearing a rattling noise from the rear driver side? I can't pinpoint exactly where it is but it's irritating to hear. It doesn't happen at slow speeds but it comes once you get in the 45mph+ range. Dealer is gonna take a look at it when I can get it scheduled.

Here's a clip for you to hear.
I have a 2016 Civic Touring with 2,100 miles on it and I had that exact rattle. It nearly drove me insane. My Honda mechanic actually rode in my trunk and was able to figure out it was the bumper clips making the noise. He ended up removing my bumper to completely inspect it and resolved the rattle by using foam tape to insulate all of the clips. The noise is completely gone. Hallelujah! My husband works for the dealer, so I am positive this is exactly what they did to fix it.

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic Touring with 2,100 miles on it and I had that exact rattle. It nearly drove me insane. My Honda mechanic actually rode in my trunk and was able to figure out it was the bumper clips making the noise. He ended up removing my bumper to completely inspect it and resolved the rattle by using foam tape to insulate all of the clips. The noise is completely gone. Hallelujah! My husband works for the dealer, so I am positive this is exactly what they did to fix it.
Rode in the trunk? Now that's going the extra mile! !

holtbest12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Was yours coming from the passenger side or drivers? I stuck my head in trunk while the gf drove and mine is definitely coming from the rear passenger side in the trunk behind the trim. I'm going to take mine to the dealer soon.

Civictour16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Was yours coming from the passenger side or drivers? I stuck my head in trunk while the gf drove and mine is definitely coming from the rear passenger side in the trunk behind the trim. I'm going to take mine to the dealer soon.
Mine was from the right rear bumper clips on the passenger side. My mechanic put foam tape in all of the rear bumper clips just to be safe though. So far, no more rattle at all. I will definitely do an update if the rattle returns.

holtbest12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Mine was from the right rear bumper clips on the passenger side. My mechanic put foam tape in all of the rear bumper clips just to be safe though. So far, no more rattle at all. I will definitely do an update if the rattle returns.
Thanks! I was waiting to read about someone with a similar issue to have mine resolved. I already know the dealer is more than likely going to tell me they can't replicate it and if so, now I at least have something they can do for me as a courtesy for purchasing a new car.

Civictour16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Thanks! I was waiting to read about someone with a similar issue to have mine resolved. I already know the dealer is more than likely going to tell me they can't replicate it and if so, now I at least have something they can do for me as a courtesy for purchasing a new car.
Your car is under warranty. It's their job to find that rattle and fix it. Insist on going for a test drive with the mechanic so that way they can't say they didn't hear the noise. Then if they say they can't figure it out tell them you want them to try my solution and make them show you they did it. If they pull back the trunk lining enough you can see the bumper clips. If after all that you still have the rattle for some reason, it's their job to keep searching for a solution until they find one. Don't let them jerk you around.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Same issue. Have an appointment tomorrow. Course it didn't do it on the commute home but it was SO loud this morning.

Rear passenger side. If I apply pressure (as though sitting down) on the edge of the seat and bounce, the sound replicates.

I hope that's enough for them, because the amount of dignity I'm going to lose trying that may not be worth it.

It's not the pebble rattle some have posted. It's the sound that reminds me of squeaky styrofoam
Update. They said it was, if I recall correctly, something to do with a panel assembly. Not sure if that means the rear bumper or internally, but pretty sure they said it was external. They took it off, reinstalled it, and it hasn't made the noise since now.

Sorry that's not much help, I can't remember the specifics and the service write up was really vague.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Your car is under warranty. It's their job to find that rattle and fix it. Insist on going for a test drive with the mechanic so that way they can't say they didn't hear the noise. Then if they say they can't figure it out tell them you want them to try my solution and make them show you they did it. If they pull back the trunk lining enough you can see the bumper clips. If after all that you still have the rattle for some reason, it's their job to keep searching for a solution until they find one. Don't let them jerk you around.
Man, if I told you the shit I'm dealing with because of stuff like that, you wouldn't believe. I have two rattles with my car, one being the trunk one in this threatd, and another in the steering wheel. I take the techs for a drive, they acknowledge the sound, and then when I leave the car, they say they can't replicate it. I have been accused twice by the same dealership of "forcing the techs to agree with me" (they said they felt insecure with me in the car...I'm 5'6, 125 pounds lol). They are lying purely because they don't want to resolve my issue...

Civictour16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Man, if I told you the shit I'm dealing with because of stuff like that, you wouldn't believe. I have two rattles with my car, one being the trunk one in this threatd, and another in the steering wheel. I take the techs for a drive, they acknowledge the sound, and then when I leave the car, they say they can't replicate it. I have been accused twice by the same dealership of "forcing the techs to agree with me" (they said they felt insecure with me in the car...I'm 5'6, 125 pounds lol). They are lying purely because they don't want to resolve my issue...
There is a 1-800 # in the back of your owners manual. Call that number. That goes directly to the Regional Managers for Honda itself. They will make sure whatever dealer you are dealing with stops screwing with you. Also, in my opinion I wouldn't keep giving that dealership my business. Why keep letting them get paid from Honda when they aren't even doing anything and are treating you like dirt.

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
There is a 1-800 # in the back of your owners manual. Call that number. That goes directly to the Regional Managers for Honda itself. They will make sure whatever dealer you are dealing with stops screwing with you. Also, in my opinion I wouldn't keep giving that dealership my business. Why keep letting them get paid from Honda when they aren't even doing anything and are treating you like dirt.
I called Honda Customer Care, reported the dealership, and they escalated it to a case manager. They already spoke to another dealership for me to take care of the issue. I am not going back to that dealership, I am honestly afraid they will revenge fuck up my car. I was just shocked they accused me of forcing the techs to say anything, I'm a very chill guy that avoids confrontation as much as possible. I'm hoping with all these finds for this rattle in this thread, I may take that to the techs and have them do the same.
Sponsored