Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
So what do you guys use on the track and with which tire? I understand how the shocks might be too stiff in R mode for street tires but how about 200 UTQG tires? I like the idea of just using the long push to turn the nannies off in R mode but I guess I could learn to do the pedal dance if needed if the softer shocks lead to better lap times in Sport mode.

BTW, I will be using 265/35-18s track tires but some have significantly stiffer sidewalls than others meaning different shock settings may be better for different tires.. Happy to hear any suggestions.

I am really thinking of Yoko A052 vs Nitto NT01s vs Falken RT660s. I think the Yokos have the softest sidewalls and the Falkens have the stiffest, like the RE-71R.
Sponsored

Code Monkey

First Name
Rafal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The R mode is very soft for the track, far any serious tracking you will want at some point to switch to coilovers.

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The R mode is very soft for the track, far any serious tracking you will want at some point to switch to coilovers.
Unfortunately I also compete in a the Ontario Time-Attack series and adding coil overs will up the classification of the car. Similar to running Trofeo Rs or Hoosier R7s so not really an option for now.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Did Honda run coilovers for the Nurburgring time runs? Just wondering because it was pretty fast for a front wheel drive car.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Did Honda run coilovers for the Nurburgring time runs? Just wondering because it was pretty fast for a front wheel drive car.
I think they just put on different tires - anything else past that was speculative as I recall but anyone else can def correct me! lol

It feels like it comes down to the driver and the track. If there a lot of bumps and creases in the track, Sport seems to be a better option. R maybe for a more sorted / kept up track. I believe the old Nurbering record was done in Sport mode if I'm not mistaken, and that track has some blemishes as I understand it. (I haven't driven it myself, unfortunately lol)

Maybe run laps back to back with Sport and R then report back which worked better for you? If you're consistent and know the track you could even see if the times changed. Would be a fun test to see!

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have only driven the car with stock Contis. alignment and brake pads on a track that I have a lot of previous experience with in other cars. I ran with the long push VSA in R mode and found it worked moderately well but was limited by tire grip, lack of neg. camber and not quite up to it brake pads. I did not think the shocks were too stiff for the 30 series Contis. My next trip will improve all those issues but the track is moderately rough, certainly not a billiard table.

Wondering if the softer sidewall of the Yoko A052 might be a better choice for Sport mode and the stiffer sidewall Falken RT660 might do better with R mode but it might be just the opposite as I am really guessing.

I would need reliable instructions on doing the pedal dance to do the test. (There seem to be different versions out there).

Remind me again of the changes from Sport to R mode other than noise ,throttle response, and shock stiffness on a 2020 car.