1.5T PRL Motorsports Civic X 1.5T Product Development

tpman24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT
@PRL Motorsports I just got the silicone intake hose and it seemed maybe 1/8 inch too long. I had to push the top of the airbox to the left to get the screws to line up when I put it back on. I don't know if it was for that reason, but there was also a good amount of vibration of the airbox when idling. Is that normal since there's no longer any room to expand and contract like the OEM hose?

Update:
It appears I may have been overly cautious or maybe it settled into place once fully attached. I emailed PRL tech and they said all is good.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
@PRL Motorsports I just got the silicone intake hose and it seemed maybe 1/8 inch too long. I had to push the top of the airbox to the left to get the screws to line up when I put it back on. I don't know if it was for that reason, but there was also a good amount of vibration of the airbox when idling. Is that normal since there's no longer any room to expand and contract like the OEM hose?
Something like this should be done by email or call for a faster response

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
My apologies for my noob question: based on the mechanism by which the Downpipe, Frontpipe, CAI, and upgraded FMIC increase HP and Tq, would it be fair to say that we are looking at around a 20 hp and Tq jump from completely stock, while actually lowering boost slightly? If so, then hypothetically, wouldn't these mods allow for us to make significantly more power while running much safer levels of boost? Or would the power gains from these parts ultimately place the same type of strain on the engine as increasing boost via an e-tune? Just trying to figure out if investing in these parts could potentially allow me to have my cake and eat it too: a big power increase without risking the long term reliability that might come with, say, a +9 boost tune (maybe these with a +6 boost tune could be the same?).
In essence, all of these mods are designed to drastically increase engine efficiency. Will these yeild gains at lower boost and timing levels? Yes. Do these mods lower boost? Not exactly. Therse cars are very finicky and sensetive to detonation, hence the knock control values. Our car wanted to make a bit less boost at times during the CAI testing due to knock control value, which is dependent on quite a few different factors (gas quality, ambient air temp, intake air temp, coolant temp, etc) and will affect timing and boost levels. Though we aim to start all of our testing with identical parameters, including knock value, slight variences can happen occasionally. The fact that we still saw gains with slightly lower boost levels at select areas of the graph just shows that these modifications are doing their job. As for gains with all of our products over stock without tuning, you're looking at about 35 whp and 5 peak torque gains. However, there are much larger gains throughout the power band that should be noted. Increased engine efficiency will always aid in engine and component longevity! :)

Very interested in this set-up, particularly because it is so data driven. My only concern would be going with the full CAI, due to the potential for hydro-lock. I was just driving up to Saratoga the other day, when I got caught in a major torrential downpour. Within 10 minutes, there was easily between 1-2 inches of water on the highway, and all that I could think about was how worried I'd be if I had a CAI. I had found several "hydro-shields" that claim to block all moisture, but I'd imagine that to do this, they'd have to be fairly restrictive to airflow, no?
We are not concerned in the least bit, as we've been manufacturing CAI systems for years without problems, even in rany Pennsylvania ;). With that being said, common sense should be used when driving in heavy precipitation areas. We have never been a fan of hydro-shields, as you may as well keep the factory intake system due to how restrictive we have seen them be.

If i were to buy the currently available stage 1 intake, would the stage 2 model be available in stage 1 additionals and from-stock purchase options once it becomes available? As far as i can tell from the PRL website, the current option for 2016+ civics is the silicon intake hose and filter, would the stage 2 product essentially be this plus more?
The Stage 1 and our CAI will use different length/angle/etc hoses, so there will be no compatibility.

I've already spoke to them about this. Short answer is no. The silicone tube is not the same length.
:thumbsup:

g

Good intel thanks man. Anyone know when the PRL CAI is gonna be available?

We are getting closer! FMIC pricing will be up within the next few days, shortly thereafter followed by CAI pricing and availability.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We are getting closer! FMIC pricing will be up within the next few days, shortly thereafter followed by CAI pricing and availability.
:yes::yes::yes::yes:guess i wont be buying tires any time soon, :rofl:

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
I got my 3" Catless Downpipe and Frontpipe installed tonight. Car sounds so good now! Nice and rowdy, temps are better, and performance gains can be felt throughout the rpm range. I do have some rattles and I tried my best to avoid them by tightening everything down after I had everything connected. @PRL Motorsports Any advice on sequence or anything to adjust the rattle out?

Last edited:

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I got my 3" Catless Downpipe and Frontpipe installed tonight. Car sounds so good now! Nice and rowdy, temps are better, and performance gains can be felt throughout the rpm range. I do have some rattles and I tried my best to avoid them by tightening everything down after I had everything connected. @PRL Motorsports Any advice on sequence or anything to adjust the rattle out?
Any other input from other people ? How bad are the rattles ? I am almost ready to purchase the combo, but not a big fan of rattles.

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
Any other input from other people ? How bad are the rattles ? I am almost ready to purchase the combo, but not a big fan of rattles.
They can be adjusted out, others have, there is just such a a small amount of clearance between the flex section of the FP and the bottom of the engine...

Apostolis

Greek
First Name
Apostolis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
They can be adjusted out, others have, there is just such a a small amount of clearance between the flex section of the FP and the bottom of the engine...
No wonder it will be so hard to do an engine swap or insert a bigger turbo in the bay. Everything is so cramped in there!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great to hear! :) As for any rattles, double check all mounting points, including brackets. Clearance at the front pipe near the oil pan can be very tight at times due to size. If this seems to be the issue you can try loosening connection points and having a partner pry with a pry bar as you tighten the connection points or vice-versa.

Vid doesn't do the sound justice but here is a small clip. I won't be buying an exhaust now, the car sounds great.

:thumbsup:

Only a small amount of people have had rattles thus far. All but two have been able to be adjusted out after talking with them. These two were initial batch errors due to movement in the jigs, this has since been fixed.

What's the ETA on the CAI?
ETA will be released by next week, today comes the release of the FMIC kit!

Patiently waiting for the CAI release. :D Almost pulled the trigger on the Injen last night, but the PRL will be worth the wait.
Glad to hear that our fans are loyal! :D

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We have a big announcement to make for the 10th Gen Civic 1.5T community... Pre-orders for our FMIC kit (compatible with both Si and Non-Si models) are finally available!

Though we aniticipate orders to begin shipping a bit sooner, we set an ETA at 90 days from today to compensate for any bumps in the road with production along the way.

http://prlmotorsports.com/2016hondacivic15tfmickit.aspx#.WZyAlT6GOUk

Kit Includes:

• Front Mount Intercooler Assembly
  • (4) 4-Ply Silicone Coupers
  • (8) 304 Stainless Steel Worm Clamps
  • (1) Hot Side Intercooler Pipe (Textured Black)
  • (1) Cold Side Intercooler Pipe w/ Mounting Bracket and Machined Billet Aluminum Flange (Textured Black)
  • (1) -4AN O-Ring to 1/4" Hose Barb (Black)
Sponsored