Premium fuel

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
better mileage ever with this...on my regular tank i was doing 7.9L/100km
with premium i did 7L/100km and still averging again the same this tank....and here winter is freaking cold......so worth it for me in canada.........
and my manual says prmium so why not.......
If manual states premium why would you run anything but? I had Audis and they required premium and I would never put anything but in the tank. I had one go about 350,000 miles before I sold it and it ran perfect. I also had another at 150,000 miles. If your car was engineered to run on the premium fuel why would you run 87 octane?
Sponsored

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
Took a 190 mile trip today on highway with fair amount of traffic, including 30 min of stop and go.

Averaged 42.4 mpg on the trip. Previous high was like 39 mpg, with no traffic. Not sure why it was so high today, maybe we're off winter formulation?

I am on 93 octane and snow tires.
In both of my Fieros, a 4 cylinder and V6 I kept records of every fill up and you can see by the numbers when they switched to winter grade and when they switched to summer grade.

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
When the nozzle clicks off the first time, that's good enough for me. It's not like 50 more cents is going to make a difference. :)
No you are missing the point. They have found if checking for accurate fuel mileage stop at the second click every time. They after all are a manufacture that has tested lots of vehicles, many miles over the years

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
No you are missing the point. They have found if checking for accurate fuel mileage stop at the second click every time. They after all are a manufacture that has tested lots of vehicles, many miles over the years
So it's more accurate if you stop after 2 clicks every time, versus just stopping after the first click every time?

OK

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So it's more accurate if you stop after 2 clicks every time, versus just stopping after the first click every time?

OK
mr smart I am just telling you what a major automotive manufacture has found in the many millions of miles of testing. Thats all, you do what ever blows your hair back.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
mr smart I am just telling you what a major automotive manufacture has found in the many millions of miles of testing. Thats all, you do what ever blows your hair back.
Bud, I'm just playing. Just trying to get you to realize that it doesn't matter which way you do it, as long as you do it the same way every time.

sfdchonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Fuel requirements should be a consideration before buying a BMW, not an afterthought. I happily fill my 328 with 91, and I don't complain about it since it's part of the owner experience.
On the other hand, nobody is arguing that you need 91 for the Civic. It's just like people who likes to add bacon on their burgers. 91 octane is an option that has been proven on the EDIT*10th gen turbo* Civic to improve performance.

The price of filling up 91 as opposed to 87 in Vancouver (which has incredibly high gas prices)is only about 120$ a year on the Civic. That's basically skipping coffee twice a month at Starbucks.
After reading these responses, I appreciate everyone's input. I can without question vouch for the improved responsiveness of a 93 octane. I might experiment with 91 as well. I agree with most everyone here, except for people that swear there is "no difference in performance." That is like saying a #3 pencil has the same performance as a #2 ... it doesn't feel very accurate, imho.

I think jackquelegs said it best -- best "It's just like people who likes to add bacon on their burgers." I might not always splurge on on the higher octane, but it's fun to experiment with the differences. A performance tune definitely sounds awesome to take full advantage of the higher octane, if I knew more about cars. In any event, from now on, I will be sticking to top tier gas :)

Thanks everyone! I'm glad so many Civic owners are so passionate about their cars :)

rockrewls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I challenge people to test out the various fuels themselves if you keep accurate logs and driving the same you will soon determine if higher octane fuels yield better fuel milage as well as a slight performance difference, after all even hondata and vit will tell you via dyno that you will see a small performance increase with higher octane fuel :)
I am currently using 94 ultra by Petro Canada which is actually a 94.75 octane rating although since it shares the same hose as the 87,89,91 the first hose full is not 94 but likely 87
I would be curious to see what the HP and TQ numbers would add with this fuel.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have found octane isn't as important as location. Sunco regular fuel feels just as good as Speedway premium. 45mpg average. Used the same fuel for my 9th gen Si coupe 34mpg.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
GM always recommended to stop after 2 clicks.
Was this in the manual what you state? I'm sure they are stating this to make you aware to not over fill. For example if a manual states to not give it WOT (as in outer manuals) on break in would you go 99% throttle and think it's ok?
But it's a GM, so fill it till it overflows.
Sponsored