First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, it's downright scarce anymore. I live in a town on the coast so you can still find 'marine gas' here in there in either 87 or 89 octane... but at a cost at or exceeding 93 octane E10. I still purchase it for long term storage w/Stabil added for use in either generators or emergency fuel to get a ways down the road. I have a problem with my carberatored stuff wanting to fire up in the spring on E10... but with E0 w/Stabil I'm always good to go. I could just drain the bowls when I'm laying them up... but laziness prevails.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The ethanol doesn't keep as well. It readily absorbs water. Honestly... if you have in a totally filled container that's sealed up decently tight... it isn't *too* bad... but I tend to keep my stock of fuel onhand for 1 year... the use it quickly and replace it all. It's already between a few 5 gal Jerry cans and a 5 gal tank on a generator. I live in the east coast where we get whacked by a hurricane now and then... and being in the Navy, my family and I don't tend to get a call to evacuate until after everyone else has gone and the fuel is dried up along any route we'd take.

1 year w/Stabil w/E0 is good to go. 6 months with E10 with or without may be problematic. I've also had problems with it greatly accelerating need to replace fuel lines on my small engines. It's not that big of a deal to do... but it's tedious work. Especially running line + filter in the itty bitty tanks on 2 stroke engine powered tools not to mention the priming bulbs. It just rots it out.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
There are definitely differences between regular and premium fuels outside of cost. The fuel economy numbers on a lower octane are not as good as they would be on a premium. So outside the added cost, the reduced knock and better fuel economy make up for the difference in price.

Longevity is important to some as well, however, I am a guy who has historically kept a car no longer than 2.5 years, so a high mileage engine and the effects of having carbon build-up are not as likely to be my problem, but a problem for a future owner.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
1 year w/Stabil w/E0 is good to go. 6 months with E10 with or without may be problematic. I've also had problems with it greatly accelerating need to replace fuel lines on my small engines. It's not that big of a deal to do... but it's tedious work. Especially running line + filter in the itty bitty tanks on 2 stroke engine powered tools not to mention the priming bulbs. It just rots it out.
Tell me about it. I also have been replacing fuel lines and priming bulbs on my small engines. Sometimes carburetors. I'm not sure whether the polymer rotting is caused by ethanol itself or the additives needed because of ethanol. I just last week resuscitated my tiny Honda 1.5 hp 4 stroke tiller/cultivator which I bought 15-16 years ago. It was sitting in the garage for many years. I don't remember when I used it last time and whether I left it empty or it dried out by itself. The manual doesn't contain the word "ethanol," because ethanol was not widely used at that time. It didn't want to start initially, but after some persuasion, and just a little Techron and Seafoam, it surprised me by working like new with the original carburetor...

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Back then with engines that ran on leaded gas the fix was to install harden valves to run unleaded

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
A 2 door Cutlass Supreme of that generation with a V8 was a good looking & popular car. It surprise me when GM stopped making Olds because I always thought it was a popular brand no matter what model.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
A 2 door Cutlass Supreme of that generation with a V8 was a good looking & popular car. It surprise me when GM stopped making Olds because I always thought it was a popular brand no matter what model.
I agree also Pontiac because I always think they did a better job with the firebird ( TA) than Chevy did with the Camaro

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Do any of you understand what a premium fuel really does or is? Half of you only guess it "controls knock".
Beating a dead horse indeed.

novadrive

I have a manual hatchback sport and it recommends 93.That's all she gets.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have a manual hatchback sport and it recommends 93.That's all she gets.
Actually I think Honda recommends 91 but 93 is good too. :cool:
Sponsored