Premium fuel

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Those numbers look about to be what they claim the gain is for the plus 6 tune. I don't think they're anything to do with octane but I might be wrong.
Sponsored

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
one more time; higher octane is not "better" gas. It does not "pack more of a wallop". It is not "more explosive". All it does is delay combustion. If your motor doesn't require retarded combustion, then it cannot possibly improve your horsepower. In fact, in absolute terms, regular has more energy because the gasoline content isn't reduced by the presence of non-combustible octane.

rockrewls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
The Dyno charts are from Hondata and are comparison of stock to tuned +6 psi
One is a manual 6 speed the other is a cvt transmission comparison.
What higher octane fuel does is allow more timing to be added thus increasing hp and tq the ecu will adjust timing according to the octane/knock level hence more octane less detonation = more available timing thus more horsepower and torque although without a tune it likely wouldn't be more then 10 hp, that number could only be verified by a tuner.

rockrewls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
The stock hp is 190 hp and torque 185 for the cvt transmission
The stock hp is 190ish and torque 190 ish for the manual trans.
The top chart is messed up but if you look at it carefully it can be easily figured out.
Those numbers were produced on 87 octane fuel.
I've spoken with doug at Hondata and 91 will allow a 6hp and 6ft/lb tq increase without a tune.
I'm unsure what 94-95 octane would allow my best guess would be 9-10 hp/tq
without a tune.
If true these engines can make 200hp in stock form with no tune on 94-95 octane if the ecu would advance the timing enough.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
one more time; higher octane is not "better" gas. It does not "pack more of a wallop". It is not "more explosive". All it does is delay combustion. If your motor doesn't require retarded combustion, then it cannot possibly improve your horsepower. In fact, in absolute terms, regular has more energy because the gasoline content isn't reduced by the presence of non-combustible octane.
That's partially true. But think of it the other way around. If the vehicle requires premium and a lower octane is used, then the ECU will automatically retard timing (resulting in a slight loss of performance). Alternatively, if the ECU can sense a higher octane and advance timing, the opposite holds true.

Not all manufacturer ECU's have the parameters to benefit from higher octane. But initial datalogs from several well-known tuners (including Hondata) suggest Honda's L15B7 responds favorably to premium. And this isn't an isolated phenomenon. We saw the exact same thing with Hyundai's 2.0T.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I. Put premium in my tank..bwas down to 6 miles to go and wasnt sure how far til the mext gas station and they were out of regular.. So i filled it with premium. Not thinking about it i drove home.. 30 min backroads and 20 min highway.. The car "felt" "stronger" similar situation with my accord i did not feel any difference.. Once i got home i looked at my fuel economy.. 44.7mpg on a 22 degrees Fahrenheit day.. Wow.. Normally i get about 35mpg on that drive...

Thoughts? Experience? Gonna measure and do the math on next fill up.. But wow.... Seriously...
Same here, was getting about 35 mpg and put in premium (v power 92) for the first time and felt better throttle response probably throughout the torque range but felt more down lower in the RPM.
Sponsored