First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have found octane isn't as important as location. Sunco regular fuel feels just as good as Speedway premium. 45mpg average. Used the same fuel for my 9th gen Si coupe 34mpg.
I agree, the detergent gas from my local Shell or Exxon runs smoother than the discount stuff from the grocery store or Speedway.

The grocery is cheaper, but that's all it has going for it.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I have found octane isn't as important as location. Sunco regular fuel feels just as good as Speedway premium. 45mpg average. Used the same fuel for my 9th gen Si coupe 34mpg.
Interesting, what about Sunoco 93 vs Speedway 93?

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I challenge people to test out the various fuels themselves if you keep accurate logs and driving the same you will soon determine if higher octane fuels yield better fuel milage as well as a slight performance difference, after all even hondata and vit will tell you via dyno that you will see a small performance increase with higher octane fuel :)
I am currently using 94 ultra by Petro Canada which is actually a 94.75 octane rating although since it shares the same hose as the 87,89,91 the first hose full is not 94 but likely 87
I would be curious to see what the HP and TQ numbers would add with this fuel.
Ultra 94 now has 10%+ ethanol :thumbsdown:
I stick with ethanol free Shell 91, I still may use the ultra for some 1/4 mi times this spring tho. Depends on what @Hondata thinks?

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If manual states premium why would you run anything but? I had Audis and they required premium and I would never put anything but in the tank. I had one go about 350,000 miles before I sold it and it ran perfect. I also had another at 150,000 miles. If your car was engineered to run on the premium fuel why would you run 87 octane?
hahaha my first tank from the dealer was regular...thats why..lol

rockrewls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Ultra 94 now has 10%+ ethanol :thumbsdown:
I stick with ethanol free Shell 91, I still may use the ultra for some 1/4 mi times this spring tho. Depends on what @Hondata thinks?
Yeah unfortunately the Petro Canada does have E10% but at almost 95 octane it should still out perform the shell 91 that being said I will try each for 1 month and determine if I see a difference.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
hahaha my first tank from the dealer was regular...thats why..lol
Oh. Yeah I guess. Is that what the dealer does? They only put regular when your car calls for premium at your dealer? You didn't state that though in your other post. It sounded as though you regularly switched from regular to premium noting the differences. Ok. Now I understand but remember you don't know MPG then because at dealer they idled a lot and just go around lot and transport (short runs) so the MPG was down at dealer unless you reset it when you drove off lot. Good as long as you stick with premium in that new Honda. I'm glad mine is regular. Hahaha.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Just curious but are you guys just against ethanol based on fuel economy? Do you not drive enough and the ethanol will sit in your tank too long aging/causing problems?

I actually go out of my way to run around e35/e40 in my 450r and in my 335 ran as much as the low pressure fuel pump could keep up with (~e30) and have/had great results with both.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
some here may be laboring under the misconception that "top tier" means premium. It doesn't. It means good name brand gas. Not discount no name gas. It has nothing to do with regular or premium.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
some here may be laboring under the misconception that "top tier" means premium. It doesn't. It means good name brand gas. Not discount no name gas. It has nothing to do with regular or premium.
yes I had to straighten someone out on that earlier.

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
The only time I run premium, is in my motorcycle. It has nothing whatsoever to do with performance benefits or anything, I use it because it has no ethanol, and my bike is carbureted. For my bike, yes it's better. But that's because it only costs a dollar more at most to fill up, and I don't have to worry about the carbs "gunking up" over winter.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The only time I run premium, is in my motorcycle. It has nothing whatsoever to do with performance benefits or anything, I use it because it has no ethanol, and my bike is carbureted. For my bike, yes it's better. But that's because it only costs a dollar more at most to fill up, and I don't have to worry about the carbs "gunking up" over winter.
yep I didn't clear my ethonal blend out of my quad soon enough last time and now the carbs coming out to be cleaned... lol but oh well I needed to pull it and send it out to get over-bored anyways! :headbang:

but in my cars I drain the tanks so fast that I never think twice about it.

my bike gets 87 because thats all it needs, no E0 near me, and its a commuter that also usually (rain...:bat:) goes through a tank in a couple days.

djasonw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Toyota iM
Country flag
I've experimented with high octane from Mobil (top tier). The performance was the same and gas mileage was virtually the same. You absolutely achieve NO benefit from using higher octane than 87. The 16 Touring 1.5 t is programmed to run fine on 87. If you update the ECU (Hondata) with higher boost then you will HAVE to use the higher octane. It would be nice if our cars were able to adapt to 93 and give us higher performance. Unfortunately the stock factory ECU will NOT provide additional performance with higher octane fuel. I used to have a 2001 Merc C320 that said premium fuel recommended for optimum performance. I rarely purchased the higher octane because I was ok with the performance yielded with 87 octane.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've experimented with high octane from Mobil (top tier). The performance was the same and gas mileage was virtually the same. You absolutely achieve NO benefit from using higher octane than 87. The 16 Touring 1.5 t is programmed to run fine on 87. If you update the ECU (Hondata) with higher boost then you will HAVE to use the higher octane. It would be nice if our cars were able to adapt to 93 and give us higher performance. Unfortunately the stock factory ECU will NOT provide additional performance with higher octane fuel. I used to have a 2001 Merc C320 that said premium fuel recommended for optimum performance. I rarely purchased the higher octane because I was ok with the performance yielded with 87 octane.
did you write the ecu code? how do you know the timing cant adapt over time to running 91 vs 87? and I am pretty sure Ive even read with the hondata maps you can run 87 if needed w/ reduced performance because the ecu will adapt to the knock and pull timing.

rockrewls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
According to dyno testers Hondata/Vitviper the ecu retards and advances timing based on octane/knock detection lvls, im sure there are limitations to how much it will retard or advance timing but if you use better fuel it should advance to maximum levels based on the numbers it senses.
Therefore you should see a horse power increase based on fuel alone 5-10hp depending on the fuel and its knock/detonation resistance.
In general the 1.5T engine makes ~190 hp on 87 Octane fuel and gains aprox 6Hp on 91 octane i'm unsure what 94-95 octane would add on top of that.
I would imagine a well put together engine might make 200 hp in stock form with 94-95 octane fuel, but only tuners could confirm that.
here are the dyno charts from Hondata
Honda Civic 10th gen Premium fuel 17_civic_mt_stock_87_octane_vs_reflashed_with_91_octane
Honda Civic 10th gen Premium fuel 17_civic_cvt_stock_87_oct_vs_91_octane_plus_6_ps

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
According to dyno testers Hondata/Vitviper the ecu retards and advances timing based on octane/knock detection lvls, im sure there are limitations to how much it will retard or advance timing but if you use better fuel it should advance to maximum levels based on the numbers it senses.
Therefore you should see a horse power increase based on fuel alone 5-10hp depending on the fuel and its knock/detonation resistance.
In general the 1.5T engine makes ~190 hp on 87 Octane fuel and gains aprox 6Hp on 91 octane i'm unsure what 94-95 octane would add on top of that.
I would imagine a well put together engine might make 200 hp in stock form with 94-95 octane fuel, but only tuners could confirm that.
here are the dyno charts from Hondata
17_civic_mt_stock_87_octane_vs_reflashed_with_91_octane.gif
17_civic_cvt_stock_87_oct_vs_91_octane_plus_6_psi.gif
Rock what are the 4 graphs comparing please?
Sponsored