Oil Catch Can: Mishimoto v. Radium Engineering

Blaze_CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Looking to add an oil catch can to my Type R. From what I have read, seems like we only really need the PCV side but couldn't find any comparisons between the Mishimoto and Radium Eng. The Mishimoto is on sale right now, so they're both at about the same price point. Anyone have any recommendation or preference for one vs. the other? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Mishi is a way simpler install
I had Mishi but got the Radium combo for both PCV and CCV. Whichever one you get does the job. I canā€™t stress the install enough though lol for another owner we gave up using the hose supplied by Radium due to its stiffness and bought some from an auto parts store.

Aside from install, itā€™s all up to your aesthetic preference

TheShadow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
Mishi is a way simpler install
I had Mishi but got the Radium combo for both PCV and CCV. Whichever one you get does the job. I canā€™t stress the install enough though lol for another owner we gave up using the hose supplied by Radium due to its stiffness and bought some from an auto parts store.

Aside from install, itā€™s all up to your aesthetic preference
The install is pretty much identical between the two (speaking only about the PCV side.) You are right on the hose being stiff and hard to get onto the barb fittings with the radium, but otherwise the install steps and mounting bracket are essentially the same between the two.

Quality wise they are similar. I like the way the radium set looks better but thatā€™s just preference. My CCV side doesnā€™t catch much, but Iā€™m in this car for the long haul so catching any drops are a benefit to me. Would definitely recommend at least the PCV side though, it catches plenty.

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The install is pretty much identical between the two (speaking only about the PCV side.) You are right on the hose being stiff and hard to get onto the barb fittings with the radium, but otherwise the install steps and mounting bracket are essentially the same between the two.

Quality wise they are similar. I like the way the radium set looks better but thatā€™s just preference. My CCV side doesnā€™t catch much, but Iā€™m in this car for the long haul so catching any drops are a benefit to me. Would definitely recommend at least the PCV side though, it catches plenty.
The radium requires a little more assembly. But otherwise yes same install. The radium hose is super stiff. Iā€™ve installed three radium ones. Hose is stiff every time lol

Once they are installed they serve the same function.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The radium requires a little more assembly. But otherwise yes same install. The radium hose is super stiff. Iā€™ve installed three radium ones. Hose is stiff every time lol

Once they are installed they serve the same function.
I understand there are lots of useless junky oil catch cans online starting at about $25 and havenā€™t considered those.

At the other end of the spectrum, Mish-Mo & Radi offer better filtering perhaps, nicer hoses maybe, baffles but not much in bells & whistles department like a drain valve up top with a pump plunger to empty them. I get increased complexity means more chance to not retain critical vacuum seal but this isnā€™t rocket science.

Wait, in a more sublime form it kindaā€™ is.

We could spend over $400 for TOTL dual can (bongos?) One and weā€™d capture what, like 2 drops drops more per 100 mi than the $25 can? No one knows unless testing multiple cans? I see this as get a decent one, empty at right iintervals (2/3 is my comfy max to account for driving style changes), then check the mental box as been there, doing that without spending so much on a possibly over-thought & engineered solution (part of my job is to sniff those out and stomp on them) for thee most powerful ā€˜airlineā€™ in the world, scary huh.

Anyway, is there something wrong with basic good quality one with easiest install ever? Iā€™m thinking BLT about now but letā€™s consider JLT?

I just ordered a JLT Performance can with bracket, hoses, and longer mount bolt that replaces radiator overflow tank one. Itā€™s not amazing looking but Iā€™ll probably spray paint the black engraved bracket a heat resistant Honda Red to match engine cover, then redo white I engraving with a wipe fill trick, squeegeeing can do wonders with thick white paint.

Eslewhere in here many love this can and I got a great deal at CarID using frequent flyer gifts cards I earned for partial payment.

Hereā€™s the JLT Performance can pitch:
https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/oil-separators/

Hereā€™s R can kit (black or clear), $149 retail:
https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-...7-2019-honda-civic-type-r-2-0-passenger-side/

It gets here Fri, PCV side install.

Some light oil or q-tip soaked with plain canned hair spray is perfect for rubber hose fits, dries quickly and works well sliding bicycle handle bar grips and even golf grips over tape in a pinch.

Last edited:

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I understand there are lots of useless junky oil catch cans online starting at about $25 and havenā€™t considered those.

At the other end of the spectrum, Mish-Mo & Radi offer better filtering perhaps, nicer hoses maybe, baffles but not much in bells & whistles department like a drain valve up top with a pump plunger to empty them. I get increased complexity means more chance to not retain critical vacuum seal but this isnā€™t rocket science.

Wait, in a more sublime form it kindaā€™ is.

We could spend over $400 for TOTL dual can (bongos?) One and weā€™d capture what, like 2 drops drops more per 100 mi than the $25 can? No one knows unless testing multiple cans? I see this as get a decent one, empty at right iintervals (2/3 is my comfy max to account for driving style changes), then check the mental box as been there, doing that without spending so much on a possibly over-thought & engineered solution (part of my job is to sniff those out and stomp on them) for thee most powerful ā€˜airlineā€™ in the world, scary huh.

Anyway, is there something wrong with basic good quality one with easiest install ever? Iā€™m thinking BLT about now but letā€™s consider JLT?

I just ordered a JLT Performance can with bracket, hoses, and longer mount bolt that replaces radiator overflow tank one. Itā€™s not amazing looking but Iā€™ll probably spray paint the black engraved bracket a heat resistant Honda Red to match engine cover, then redo white I engraving with a wipe fill trick, squeegeeing can do wonders with thick white paint.

Eslewhere in here many love this can and I got a great deal at CarID using frequent flyer gifts cards I earned for partial payment.

Hereā€™s the JLT Performance can pitch:
https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/oil-separators/

Hereā€™s R can kit (black or clear), $149 retail:
https://www.jlttruecoldair.com/jlt-...7-2019-honda-civic-type-r-2-0-passenger-side/

It gets here Fri, PCV side install.

Some light oil or q-tip soaked with plain canned hair spray is perfect for rubber hose fits, dries quickly and works well sliding bicycle handle bar grips and even golf grips over tape in a pinch.
Havenā€™t tried JLT but Iā€™m sure it does the job too. I know there are those who make their own kits. Iā€™ve only had experience with mishi and radium so I know they held up just fine. The CCV side doesnā€™t catch much of anything, but I havenā€™t tracked it since I installed it either.

For mine I could have added some drain valves but I only change it every oil change which isnā€™t often so I just unscrew them.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Looking to add an oil catch can to my Type R. From what I have read, seems like we only really need the PCV side but couldn't find any comparisons between the Mishimoto and Radium Eng. The Mishimoto is on sale right now, so they're both at about the same price point. Anyone have any recommendation or preference for one vs. the other? Thanks in advance!
Go Mishimoto.

Smaller, stealth, cheaper & easier to install, on top of that you could easily adapt a valve to drain it, no need to unplug any hose. On this car, the residue collected is so small, that it is hard to modify to spend too much on a catch can.

Feedback
After 1430 miles (road trip Miami - Chicago) you will only see less than 1 oz. No need for a heavier bigger canister.

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 FK8, ā€˜19 XC60 R-Design, ā€˜17 ZL1, ā€˜02 SS
Country flag
I have a Radium on my R and a Mishimoto on my ZL1. The Radium is hands down a nicer unit.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I got the Mishi, it feel like it has a more OEM look.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I have the Mishimoto catch can with the red bracket, mostly because of the matching of the appearance to the OEM engine bay cosmetics. No doubt that itā€™s pricey compared to some others. Itā€™s precisely and well-engineered. I like the small can, because it makes it easier to empty. Thereā€™s enough room around it so that you can get your hands in there and twist the can off manually and take it straight down for emptying. I thought about a drain valve, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s necessary. An issue is that if the valveā€™s stem is long it creates a ridge at the drain hole, so ,youā€™re not going to get all the stuff out by draining.

Installation was quite easy, took about 20 minutes. The Mishimoto hoses are excellent, theyā€™re molded to fit precisely, and are a little tight going on over the fittings. At first, I did get a rattle at low RPM that has been mentioned by others. Cured that as they did by using two-sided foam tape behind the bracket. I empty it about every 30 days, when I do my fluids and tire pressure checks. In warm weather I get maybe 1/16 of an inch of carbonized oil in the bottom, enough to just wipe out with a paper towel. Recently, I did it for the first time in winter conditions, and found a substantially larger volume of liquid, milky, because it was collecting condensation that the engine generates as it warms up in cold weather. More, but still not a huge amount, able to just wipe it out.

Is it necessary? Many would say no, but I sure donā€™t like the idea of that stuff going back into my engine.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Catch Can: Mishimoto v. Radium Engineering CF3AD693-9998-4928-B758-79943D4884DE
This is the typical amount my Radium catch can collects after about 3k miles. I keep my engine revs between 2.8k to 4.5k. Type R mode.

Like Steve mentioned, donā€™t like the idea of all this going into the valves.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CF3AD693-9998-4928-B758-79943D4884DE.jpeg
This is the typical amount my Radium catch can collects after about 3k miles. I keep my engine revs between 2.8k to 4.5k. Type R mode.

Like Steve mentioned, donā€™t like the idea of all this going into the valves.
Thanks for giving us a Radium sample, does it glow in the dark?

With all the great mods youā€™ve done to your Type R Iā€™m surprised and a little let down you donā€™t get above 4,500 RPM much. In first two gears pushed hard, you canā€™t lose traction if accelerating over 4,500 but youā€™re missing out on some occasional Star Trek whoosh opportunities, especially in say... 3rd gear.
I can promise the rev limiter works well and will burble even the stock exhaust some, you surely have been there occasionally?

I know, with all the mods and making ample HP and torque down low, why would you need to routinely go higher?

ā€˜Cause fun begins at 50 (x10 rpms), actually around 2,500.
Sponsored