amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
if you do it like you have it set up on the picture then yes you are increasing the torque from the extended length. That's why he said 90 degrees.

if you have it at 90 degrees, the centerline is the same
For my own sanity I did the math and it makes no difference like you said.
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY OIL Change Reference Civic Type R 1588635217240

The force applied perpendicular to the blue line is Cos(4.76degree)*100lbs which was 99.655lbs, and then when multiplied by the radius of 1.0033ft you get the same 100 ft-lbs of torque.

I CAN SLEEP NOW.
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
TIL about crowsfeet for situations like this. Bought a set on amazon.

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
For my own sanity I did the math and it makes no difference like you said.
1588635217240.png

The force applied perpendicular to the blue line is Cos(4.76degree)*100lbs which was 99.655lbs, and then when multiplied by the radius of 1.0033ft you get the same 100 ft-lbs of torque.

I CAN SLEEP NOW.
:rolleyes1:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I didn't even know that would need to be accounted for - thanks guys that's something I would have never thought about tbh.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I got under my car yesterday to drain my transmission fluid and I noticed oil all over the metal pan and my oil filter was coated with oil. Used a K&N filter, hand tight. I’ve changed my oil twice, used K&N filters both times, the first time nothing leaked. Should I be worried about something else or is it probably just a crappy filter?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the oil appears to be from the oil filter seal, suggest trying an OEM filter and tighten it a little more.

if there is evidence of oil leakage above the filter and coming from somewhere on the engine., it could be a valve cover leak.

I got under my car yesterday to drain my transmission fluid and I noticed oil all over the metal pan and my oil filter was coated with oil. Used a K&N filter, hand tight. I’ve changed my oil twice, used K&N filters both times, the first time nothing leaked. Should I be worried about something else or is it probably just a crappy filter?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Swap out - use a factory stock Honda filter + new crush washer - as cheap as they are just use the Honda ones - then you know you're using the proper part.

I lost ~3/4 quart by my estimate with my wrong torque spec - you should be fine imo once changed out - and lesson learned lol

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Also make sure the gasket surface on the engine side is clean.

Hand tight is how much? Wix and mobile 1 filters specify 3/4 turn after the gasket meets the housing surface..

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

Hand tight is how much? Wix and mobile 1 filters specify 3/4 turn after the gasket meets the housing surface..
The Honda filter says the same thing on it. When I try to do that, at around 1/2 turn after contacting the gasket it hits a hard stop so I stop tightening at that point. No leaks when you do that in my experience.

edit: To clarify, it's a hard stop because the metal housing of the filter hits the seating surface.

Last edited:

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Swap out - use a factory stock Honda filter + new crush washer - as cheap as they are just use the Honda ones - then you know you're using the proper part.

I lost ~3/4 quart by my estimate with my wrong torque spec - you should be fine imo once changed out - and lesson learned lol
I spent an hour sifting through threads here and i had finally convinced myself that people were AGAINST OEM filters after they switched from A01 to A02 made by Honeywell

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag

This is a bit alarming, there is a small amount of oil around my valve cover, I guess it could be leaking here and then with acceleration the oil trickles down further?

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY OIL Change Reference Civic Type R 0A4146C1-0E7A-4BCB-AFA1-B97FCEE6C612

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY OIL Change Reference Civic Type R 6FF11AD7-71F6-4912-823B-38CAA2EC4115

fk8dc5s

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2003 DC5S 1994 CD5
Country flag
This is a bit alarming, there is a small amount of oil around my valve cover, I guess it could be leaking here and then with acceleration the oil trickles down further?

0A4146C1-0E7A-4BCB-AFA1-B97FCEE6C612.jpeg

6FF11AD7-71F6-4912-823B-38CAA2EC4115.jpeg
boom you got it too. saw this on my 2019 too. valve cover gasket leak sadly. happened to Rs and Si too. sadly because of PLASTIC valve covers. and it will keep doing it. reluctantly took it to the dealer to get replaced and good so far. no damage done when they did it. 2 months in.

veehexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK2R
Country flag
boom you got it too. saw this on my 2019 too. valve cover gasket leak sadly. happened to Rs and Si too. sadly because of PLASTIC valve covers. and it will keep doing it. reluctantly took it to the dealer to get replaced and good so far. no damage done when they did it. 2 months in.
I've the same on my FK2 which i'm waiting on Honda to recover from their cryptoware before i can get any parts. UK dealers are pretty much dead in the water and it's not a stock item anywhere i can find either... hope it wont be a re-occuring issue once the seal is replaced but not big money for a replacement.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I cleaned it off Sunday night and have driven a few hundred miles and there is nothing on that spot yet.

But I guess how else would that oil have gotten there? It’s probably the same issue, the chances of oil finding its way onto that portion of the engine by some other means is low (maybe I spilled some last time I changed the oil?) but I’d like to replicate it once myself before taking it in.
Sponsored