DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Mark ups only work if chumps are willing to pay them. Our red FL5 was gone today, overheard a salesman on a call saying it went for $10k markup instead of $25k. Facts are facts, people still want new cars but they aren't lining up like they were 3 months ago. Our ADM was $10-15k on the FK8 when it came out, we were selling for like $55k iirc, after a year or two they were going for like $3-5k markup.

Our red FL5 was $74xxx. Seventy Four Thousand Dollars. For a civic. BEFORE tax and everything else. Everyone knows how that conversation will go:
"AW sick man, love the new FL5!!! Congrats! How much did you end up paying?"😃
"80,000 out the door"😉
"........oh......"😕 (who tf pays 80k for a civic?)
You quickly go from passionate Honda fan to sucker in everyone's mind.

And yes, I want Nurburgring times. I'm petty, i dont care if it's not realistic or whatever James May would say. It was cool saying my CTR was a FWD record holder on the Ring. It was cool knowing that my car was better than a GTI or Focus RS or something else I could have bought in the same price range, it validified the purchase. FL5 has the Suzuka record, mannnn that's like winning Nickelodeon Teen Choice Award. I want the Oscar winner, I want a Nurburgring FWD Record holder. On paper, the FL5 > FK8, I wanna see if it's true.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Mark ups only work if chumps are willing to pay them. Our red FL5 was gone today, overheard a salesman on a call saying it went for $10k markup instead of $25k. Facts are facts, people still want new cars but they aren't lining up like they were 3 months ago. Our ADM was $10-15k on the FK8 when it came out, we were selling for like $55k iirc, after a year or two they were going for like $3-5k markup.

Our red FL5 was $74xxx. Seventy Four Thousand Dollars. For a civic. BEFORE tax and everything else. Everyone knows how that conversation will go:
"AW sick man, love the new FL5!!! Congrats! How much did you end up paying?"😃
"80,000 out the door"😉
"........oh......"😕 (who tf pays 80k for a civic?)
You quickly go from passionate Honda fan to sucker in everyone's mind.

And yes, I want Nurburgring times. I'm petty, i dont care if it's not realistic or whatever James May would say. It was cool saying my CTR was a FWD record holder on the Ring. It was cool knowing that my car was better than a GTI or Focus RS or something else I could have bought in the same price range, it validified the purchase. FL5 has the Suzuka record, mannnn that's like winning Nickelodeon Teen Choice Award. I want the Oscar winner, I want a Nurburgring FWD Record holder. On paper, the FL5 > FK8, I wanna see if it's true.
Amen.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Affordability is relative to one's finances. It depends if this pricing 60-80k is low relative to your net worth/income. Then it's like buying a new pair of shoes. Then if you don't like it no big deal, you even afford to take a loss. And there are lots of such customers - firsf wave - that buy it for the novelty. Until hype dies and it becomes clear what the car can/can't do.
In my case I'm not a millionaire, not first wave category. Yes I could rel easily afford to buy a 19 CTR and 19 1.5 M/T sedan. Even if in EU there are no markups I have no intention to throw 10-15k for a CTR trade-in. Only if I think how hard is to earn them. The lifetime lost not belonging to me and lent to the others to make that money, early cold mornings, absurd people I must deal with, etc. Also the time spent ceramic coating the cars, installing accessories. I also like gen X more, they have no GPF filter and plan to keep them long time (they are low mileage). Under these conditions it does not make sense to me to throw 10-20k down the toilet.

Last edited:

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
its what ive been wanting to know too. But the civicxi forum is calling us babies for wanting that information and exclaiming; who cares about it while explaining away that times dont matter. In the world of performance cars, times always matter. Cuckoo land.
IF the FL5 posts a better time than the FK8 - then it will 'all the sudden' matter to the same people stating it doesn't matter. haha

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I hope it does beat the record...We all want the platform to succeed. We hate the greedy dealerships that's all.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Was it this high of a mark up with the 2017 when it first came out? Can't really remember.

diakonia

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R, Accord, CRV
Country flag
Was it this high of a mark up with the 2017 when it first came out? Can't really remember.
When the FK8 came out in the spring of 2017 the markups were between $5k and & 10k. After 6 months or so you could find them for MSRP.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Is it just me or does this car get even more boring the more you see it? The boring egg shaped rear and a spoiler that is designed to all but disappear against any background. The bulbous front end that just has no spice to it. Like I get 'the FK8 is too aggressive' for some, but this pendulum swung so hard the other way it's hard not to go nap time when another picture shown.

This rear couldn't be more boring and uninspired if it tried. It feels like with the FK8 they designed the Type R then removed bits to make the base level Civics. So fully cladded out, it looks proper and 'like it is meant to be'. This current Type R looks like they built it the other way around - from the base car they tagged on sporty bits to make the R.

Look at the Spoiler shunted onto the hatch line at a weird angle without any drama to it like the side wings on the FK8 -

Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2023 Civic Type R (FL5) U.S. Pricing: $42,895 💰 4002-1668454302.jpg?crop=0.791xw:0.791xh;0.209xw,0

And moving a giant screen to the top of the dash on a 'track oriented car' will never make sense to me. Just what I need in my sightline - a giant screen - huzzah!

Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2023 Civic Type R (FL5) U.S. Pricing: $42,895 💰 2023-honda-civic-type-r-2751-1668454287

Cripes it's huge I mean my goodness are we driving an F-150 and need to have a drive in movie screen sitting on our dash?

Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2023 Civic Type R (FL5) U.S. Pricing: $42,895 💰 2023-honda-civic-type-r-2773-1668454295

And sorry, but most cars that are boring resort to one thing to try and spice it up since no matter how fast they are going they look like they are standing still or having a little nap -

Blur part of the image! WE SPEEDIN NOW BOIZ NO ACCORD HERE THIS IS TURRETO SPEC JDM YO!

Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2023 Civic Type R (FL5) U.S. Pricing: $42,895 💰 4061-1668454308.jpg?crop=0.646xw:0.645xh;0.100xw,0

Grrrr look at this Accord leap at you! So fast .... and WILD!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2023 Civic Type R (FL5) U.S. Pricing: $42,895 💰 4129-1668454309.jpg?crop=0.804xw:0.677xh;0.131xw,0

I'm glad the Type R continues, I'm glad this one performs sufficiently but man oh man I love my FK8 more each day tbh.

And I could forgive most of this if the thing whooped the FK8 in all aspects. But it doesn't - it's just a fat little piggy someone stuck a wing on and the letter R.

Blech.