2023 Civic Type R Officially Revealed! Will Be Made in Japan!

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
So many great options today (if you can get your hands on them). Beyond a reliable everyday hauler, I would be hyped to have any of the following "affordable" new performance cars in my garage:

ND2 Miata club
GR Corolla
Type R (either gen)

The GR86 seems very nice but I would just deal with the compromises of the MX5 over it at that point. Have no interest in the Supra or Z, even in manual. Muscle cars aren't my thing either.

Personally, there's something special about having the most hardcore track-focused factory variant of a model, even if the platform is an econobox like the civic or corolla. Like a regular 3 series probably costs more than a CTR or GRC but will never be near the realm of cool or fun to drive.

These few low maintenance niche manual "trackish" cars really do it for me. Beyond that, I'd have to get into super expensive sports car territory to get any more excited. Thankful we're still seeing interest in producing them from these manufacturers.......cuz just cranking out more CUVs/EVs and ignoring this segment is much easier.
Sponsored

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's gonna be an amazing car. Despite all the "MOST POWERFUL" marketing, it will most likely be an incremental improvement performance wise (like 15hp max).

I will say, as poser as it sounds, driving mine today made me realize how much I LOVE the hood scoop/bulge. My new 4runner will have an even more useless poser hood scoop but just seeing it from the driver's seat makes me feel cooler than I am. Disappointed they dropped it on this new one. Glad they dumped the goofy 20" wheels though.

Confirmed with this release that I'm happier keeping mine but I think the toned down styling will really open the door to a whole pool of customers that ruled the 10th gen out on looks alone, especially older enthusiasts. For that reason, I feel like these will be even harder than the 10th gen to snag at sticker.....but the 10th gens will continue to retain their strong secondhand market value for years.
Hey Hold On There!
I'm an "older" enthusiast and I would have bought either one based on the Type R performance alone. It's a hot hatch econobox, no amount of styling is going to change that.

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Haha I'm guess their lists would be similar! I'm also leaning towards the Z at this point, but I'm eager to learn more of a 6mt Supra.

I'm of average size (5'10", l~190lbs) so I think I should be able to fit in the latest gen Miata! A buddy of mine let me drive his NB and it wasn't as small as I thought it would be.
For what it’s worth, I know someone who had both the CTR and a Supra, and he said the CTR was more fun to drive, especially on roads that weren’t straight, but the Supra was a little faster and costs way less to get that 30% ish Boost in power. Evidently the Supra is a fish tail tree wrap waiting to happen. But idk that from personal experience.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
For what it’s worth, I know someone who had both the CTR and a Supra, and he said the CTR was more fun to drive, especially on roads that weren’t straight, but the Supra was a little faster and costs way less to get that 30% ish Boost in power. Evidently the Supra is a fish tail tree wrap waiting to happen. But idk that from personal experience.
Type R is stupid good. Current garage - 2017 Performance Edition M2 / 2022 Audi RS 3 / 2021 Type R

The Type R is still the most fun to drive in all aspects.

Crazy.

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I want those 19' wheels but they are forged so no one gonna sell them for 1k lol

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Front, check, interior, check. Rear...not quite.
Does it make me want to trade in my FK8? Not on looks.
While I will not defend the black plastic non-functioning parts of the FK8- the totality of the look just works for me. Still.

Of course I was never looking for a sleeper.

And seeing the positive reaction yesterday after getting my AB 2018 hand washed for a treat it reminded me that in the flesh most people except those who don't get paid to be snarky, are just fine with the looks. Go big or go home. There are enough boring cars out there. Our halo Honda was never going to have the classic lines of an E-Type Jaguar, so get over it and enjoy that Type R attitude.
The new one seems toned down. 'Not that there's anything wrong with that...'

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
How are you liking the RS3 thus far? Very solid 4/5/6-cylinder garage btw. :thumbsup:
Thanks! I don't know how it all fell together but I have my dream garage complete with a best of (to me) awd, rwd, and fwd car lol.

Specific to the RS 3 - Absolutely loving it and it's about 200 miles shy of really punching it which I can tell is going to be insane. It's about as light as my old Evolution X but with 400hp so it should be nuts when I finally put my foot into it. (after my wife does as it's her baby and she gets first rights to the hammer!)

Handling - it feels like it can do what the Type R can, but it does it with some bounce and float as it's more luxury? Where the Type R feels more like it's planted and clawing it's way through things and can get corrected while into something without as much 'slop' as the RS 3. I also ascribe some of that to the tires and will be interested to see what I feel once I have more performance focused meat on it vs the 'can do everything well' it has on there now. Neatest thing I didn't expect is the ceramic brakes / rotors having almost zero brake dust.

It's still perfect for my wife as it's 'comfort/luxury fast' with all the amenities she wants, and I certainly don't mind driving it it's a LOT of fun. It's just if I'm being a little bitch about it and I had to choose, it's still the Type R which honestly surprised me. They just really nailed the visceral drivers feel in the car that is tough to replicate or exceed.

I'll take all this bs back once I punch it in a 400hp AWD car and start showing off my new Audi tattoo, but for now the Type R is still king in this house lol.

ShaneAnigans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
And seeing the positive reaction yesterday after getting my AB 2018 hand washed for a treat it reminded me that in the flesh most people except those who don't get paid to be snarky, are just fine with the looks. Go big or go home. There are enough boring cars out there. Our halo Honda was never going to have the classic lines of an E-Type Jaguar, so get over it and enjoy that Type R attitude.
This right here. Random people go out of their way to tell me how cool my car is, including Older Lady in a Subaru at Lowe's, Boomer Guy on a Harley at the gas station, Random Avalon-driving Dad and his son, etc... All of the people who aren't supposed to like it. Probably because it's a tiny bit of excitement in a world of drab SUVs, trucks, and boring-looking cars. I don't think the FL5 will get the same reaction from random non-enthusiast passers-by.

seed3540

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I would love those wheels though. It is a pain to get the power down with FBO so the wider tire contact patch will help.

CivicTypeDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Type R
Country flag
I'll admit I like some of the quality of life changes they gave the new Type R. Those AC controls look pretty nice, I'm sure the new infotainment will run better than the FK8, and it looks like the engineers designed the engine to have better cooling (we'll find out once everyone starts tracking the FL5).

But I love the FK8 more. I prefer the 10th gen gauge cluster to the new one. Just something about the speedometer being in the middle of the tach makes it feel like I'm in a spaceship. Give me black carpets all day, not really a fan of the red one. I'm not seeing any fog lights in the new one so I guess they removed it? I agree with a lot of people about the new back side... Not really a fan. I guess I'm a ricer at heart because I just love the wild look of the FK8.

Congrats to the people that wanted a milder-looking Type R though. Honda definitely delivered. Hope those people can love the FL5 as much as I love the FK8.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
The fact that it will be made in Japan is a HUGE pro imo. The UK cars, especially near the end, had laughable QC.

Also, more pros (for me): more power, nice 19" wheels, red carpets (because I have the maturity of a 5 year old), and hopefully sorting out the few mechanical quirks from the FK8.

Everything else, from exterior to interior styling, seems to show that they listened to everyone's whining about the FK8. Personally, the new civic interior is really nice......on a new civic. For the CTR, its way to boring imo.

I kind of like the back end though. Its one or two subtle useless vents and bulges away from being perfect.

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Type R is stupid good. Current garage - 2017 Performance Edition M2 / 2022 Audi RS 3 / 2021 Type R

The Type R is still the most fun to drive in all aspects.

Crazy.
Any pics of all those lovely cars in your garage? I bet its a sight to see.