New member coming from a 9th gen Si

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
Hey everyone! (Sorry if the mods have to move this, I couldn’t find a dedicated member intro area)

I took delivery of my new modern steel metallic 2018 Si sedan on Saturday! She came off the truck on Thursday, and when I called the dealership on Friday, she hadn’t even been through PDI yet. Saturday morning I picked her up with 5 miles on the odometer!

I’m coming from a 2012 Si sedan...I wrecked her on Tuesday last week. She was a faithful companion for 6 years and the first new car I ever bought. Also the first car my wife and I bought together. Sad to see her go, but I’m absolutely in love with my new Si. I’m chomping at the bit until I get past the break-in period so I can let er rip!

I was over at 9thgencivic.com before, so I look forward to talking with Everyone here and learning from all of you!

Honda Civic 10th gen New member coming from a 9th gen Si D00C03C4-73A2-4D84-B7B7-51D2843555FF

Honda Civic 10th gen New member coming from a 9th gen Si 510F62F8-DB0B-44F0-A2DC-F07191052D41

Honda Civic 10th gen New member coming from a 9th gen Si 4E68248E-DF02-4FC5-96A2-0C20E4404C6C

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
Will be interesting hearing your thoughts on the different generations since you did spend so much time in your previous ride. Welcome to GenX.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
welcome to the 10g club, just remember you gotta get paid to get laid. anyways, i liked my 9th gen a lot aside from the 2nd gear grinds and shitty seats.

it had great induction noise when that vtec engaged. youre definitely upgrading from the 9th, especially the 2012 which was really cheaply made with very little features. honda really improved the performance and interior in the 2013s and even more in the 14 and 15. but the 10g is still better in every way, aside from engine noise.

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
I am in similar boat. I still have the 9th Gen Si and looking to upgrade to 2019 Si. Would be interesting to hear how you feel about the clutch. I hated the clutch in 2018 Ex-T. 2018 Si was a bit more close to previous generation, it still traveled a bit more. I absolutely love the shifts in 9th gen. Once you add a weighted shift knob, the shifts are like butter and that too with minimal effort. Clutch has a solid engagement point and you don't have to travel much to engage. I know there are lot more comfort upgrades in 2018s ( my 2012 doesnt even have reverse camera!)- but at the end of day I drive Si for the joy of it. For comfort, I have Rx350.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Congratulations! Nice color! Best thing about this car is the handling / chassis. Sport mode is sweet and a ton of fun to play with.

OP
OP
nickhaldin

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in similar boat. I still have the 9th Gen Si and looking to upgrade to 2019 Si. Would be interesting to hear how you feel about the clutch. I hated the clutch in 2018 Ex-T. 2018 Si was a bit more close to previous generation, it still traveled a bit more. I absolutely love the shifts in 9th gen. Once you add a weighted shift knob, the shifts are like butter and that too with minimal effort. Clutch has a solid engagement point and you don't have to travel much to engage. I know there are lot more comfort upgrades in 2018s ( my 2012 doesnt even have reverse camera!)- but at the end of day I drive Si for the joy of it. For comfort, I have Rx350.
It’s crazy, with all of the features of the 2018 si, it feels like a borderline luxury car. Very comfortable. But in regards to the clutch, I have no problem with it. Car and driver really slammed the 10th civic si for having ‘vague engagement’ with the clutch but I don’t agree with that at all. Maybe they didn’t break it in properly? They said the bite point was high (which again, not true in my case) and it doesn’t have much feel. It’s light, sure, like most Honda clutches, but I can feel the friction zone just fine. My 9th had a defective throw out bearing that caused a horrible squealing sound when taking off in first gear. It was a well known problem with the 2012s and plagued me from 30,000 miles all the way till 114,000 when I wrecked it.

And the shifter on the 2018 si...yes! One of the best parts of the car. I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s even better than my 9th. And the 9th was great. I had a weighted skunk 2 knob that I’ll probably transfer over to my 10th. The shifter just feels so crisp and perfect.

OP
OP
nickhaldin

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
welcome to the 10g club, just remember you gotta get paid to get laid. anyways, i liked my 9th gen a lot aside from the 2nd gear grinds and shitty seats.

it had great induction noise when that vtec engaged. youre definitely upgrading from the 9th, especially the 2012 which was really cheaply made with very little features. honda really improved the performance and interior in the 2013s and even more in the 14 and 15. but the 10g is still better in every way, aside from engine noise.
I never had a problem with grinding gears, but I had the well known throw out bearing defect. I always liked the seats, they were durable and firm which tends to be better for my back on long drives. But I definitely like the 10th si seats better. The 2012s were the best performing 9th (check out car and drivers numbers) most likely due to being the least heavy of that generation. My 10th is soooo much quieter on the highway which I really like for my commute. I will agree, the 10th is better in most ways.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
welcome to the club man, sorry you wrecked the old one but at least you are ok. the 10th gen si is my first si and i am in love with the car. even my girl has finally come around and told me she loves the car as well, after i let her take it on its longest road trip to date from NY to Vermont. she brought it back clean and with a full tank of gas.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I really liked my 2015, but Honda did cut some corners on it. The overhead red LED was missing, and the passenger window switch wasn't illuminated. I'm sure there are other little things that I'm missing. I mean how much can these little thing cost? They were present on my 2006, and also on my 2017. On the other hand, the rear seats were finished like the fronts which they are not on my 2017, weird. My 2015.....
Honda Civic 10th gen New member coming from a 9th gen Si IMG_20160218_101013800

Last edited:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I never had a problem with grinding gears, but I had the well known throw out bearing defect. I always liked the seats, they were durable and firm which tends to be better for my back on long drives. But I definitely like the 10th si seats better. The 2012s were the best performing 9th (check out car and drivers numbers) most likely due to being the least heavy of that generation. My 10th is soooo much quieter on the highway which I really like for my commute. I will agree, the 10th is better in most ways.
yes the 2012 was the quickest of the 9th sis becuse of the weight. i remember test driving one and thinking to myself this feels quicker than the 2014.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I really liked my 2015, but Honda did cut some corners on it. The overhead red LED was missing, and the passenger window switch wasn't illuminated. I'm sure there are other little things that I'm missing. I mean how much can these little thing cost? They were present on my 2006, and also on my 2017. On the other hand, the rear seats were finished like the fronts which they are not on my 2017, weird. My 2015.....
IMG_20160218_101013800.jpg
i never really came to the conclusion about that orange color. sometimes it looks good to me in certain lighting and sometimes it looked bad.

but on the sedan version it always looked bad for some reason.

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
i never really came to the conclusion about that orange color. sometimes it looks good to me in certain lighting and sometimes it looked bad.

but on the sedan version it always looked bad for some reason.
It looks better in person when you can see the pearl effect. I told the dealer I wanted Blue, Red, or Orange in that order and the orange one was the first one they could get their hands on. The color grew on me quickly.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Hey everyone! (Sorry if the mods have to move this, I couldn’t find a dedicated member intro area)

I took delivery of my new modern steel metallic 2018 Si sedan on Saturday! She came off the truck on Thursday, and when I called the dealership on Friday, she hadn’t even been through PDI yet. Saturday morning I picked her up with 5 miles on the odometer!

I’m coming from a 2012 Si sedan...I wrecked her on Tuesday last week. She was a faithful companion for 6 years and the first new car I ever bought. Also the first car my wife and I bought together. Sad to see her go, but I’m absolutely in love with my new Si. I’m chomping at the bit until I get past the break-in period so I can let er rip!

I was over at 9thgencivic.com before, so I look forward to talking with Everyone here and learning from all of you!

D00C03C4-73A2-4D84-B7B7-51D2843555FF.jpeg

510F62F8-DB0B-44F0-A2DC-F07191052D41.jpeg

4E68248E-DF02-4FC5-96A2-0C20E4404C6C.jpeg
Welcome to the club! I come from more than 25 years of owning Toyotas, the Si is my first Honda. Great car, lots of fun, hopefully it will last as long as my Toyotas!
Sponsored