Going from 10th gen to 9th gen Si

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Sold my 10th gen and bought a 9th gen. Am I the only one here doing so? Anyway, here's my feedback.

Definitely miss the character of the power band from the 10th. On local roads I can get power between 3-5k rpm, which makes my 2,3,and 4th gear all fun and usable without much risk getting pulled over. On the 9th gen, similar power comes after at least 4.5k, up to 6.5/7 k. In 2nd gear the speed would already be close to 90km/56m, /hr. In order to enjoy the same power in 3rd gear, I would run a risk of getting not only pulled over but towed on the spot:doh:. So 3 fun gears VS 1, 10th gen wins. For those who love high rev, a simple mod is to make a paper tachometer arc cut-out and tape it over the digital one, which the 3 position changed to 4, and 4 position changed to 5 and so:nixon:...……….then it all makes sense and you will be happy.

Definitely miss the suspension of the 10th. The 9th I would describe as crunchy, while the 10th I would say it's chewy. And on sport mode, it's very chewy. Both help to make a good handling car, but the chewy 10th feels more plated in high speed bumpy turn. Just like your teeth dig into a chewy granola bar, all planted in every bite. Superb damping setting from the factory!

Definitely miss the limit in turns. With the chassis, suspension, wheels/tires, the 10th gen can handle more than the 9th. The 9th I would describe as very willing to turn, while the 10th I would say it wants to turn. Very sharp steering like a motorcycle. Late turn in, it just cut through a corner like a hot butter knife cutting through a chunk of...…...butter.:thumbsup:

Definitely miss the sound of engine/exhaust. A lot of reviews say the 10th is very quiet. I do not agree. It's definitely not very quite. I would say it's not even quiet by all means. I can definitely hear and feel enough of the engine by just the combination of sounds. For the 9th gen, it's definitely louder. But most of the sound is from the engine, not the exhaust, at least listening from the driver seat. For those who love louder sound, just don't turn on the music and it will bring the same hearing of driving a 9th with music on.

Definitely do not miss the pedals. The 9th gen is way more easier to heel toe, and the clutch pedal feels more natural. However I've figured out a way: adjust your seat two/three clicks back than you normally would set, or until you can't bottom the clutch pedal. Then use the limit of the length of your leg as a natural stopper for the clutch pedal:lock:, which should be around 20% from the bottom. This way the real bite point is still the same crazy high in the pedal travel, but it will be lower relatively to your leg travel, and makes it "normal" and easier for fast shifting. 20% from bottom is enough to fully disengage the clutch for this car, no worry of grinding.

Definitely do not miss the seat. The seat itself is very good and supportive; however, it's the one piece seat headrest area that makes my neck painful after an hour drive. This headrest area is pushing too much forward to me. I like sitting very straight up (close to 90 degrees!), and my head/neck are like passing the vertical line forward, almost pushes out a double chin. Again, I have figured out by tilting the seat back one click back than I normally would set. It's better now.

Definitely so so on the shifter. The 10th gen has a shorter throw, but for some reasons, it doesn't feel as good as the 9th. I feel like there's an extra barrier at the neutral position, particular when you shift from 2nd to 3rd, which makes the shift not as quick sometime. The 9th gen has a more "elegant" feel :drive:shifting into each gear. Once you passed through the point of no return (the middle neutral area):p, it will be "absorbed" into the next gear (vs "pushed" into for the 10th gen). And when the 9th gen stick reaches the destination, you will be rewarded with a "solid but soft" feedback, like a ballet dancer precisely landed on one foot after a jump. While the 10th gen will reward you with a "solid but hard" feedback, like a precise robot returns its arm to a ready position.

Well, thanks for reading till now:coffee:. When the 10th gen first came out, a lot of criticisms, particular from the 9th gen. I asked myself, how could any big company, like Honda, makes something new worse than the old one? Just doesn't make sense. Not only in car manufacturing, but even in human civilization. We can only get better and that's why we are what we are today after millions of years. You may compare the 10th to another car and say it's worse; but just doesn't make sense comparing to the 9th and conclude it's worse. So the truth is, I actually moved from a 9th to a 10th, and the 10th is definitely a better car overall! I guess it's just about human nature when we lose something, we will only miss and think about the good of that something. But man, for this 10th gen, I don't even have to wait until I lose it to miss it! I love my 10th gen!
Sponsored

Last edited:

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice write up. The things you aren’t crazy about on the 10th gen are easily remedied with relatively inexpensive aftermarket parts, save the seat.

alexrawdriguez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
Nice write up. So were you one of those people that thought the 9th gen was superior in every way and after switching back you realized it was not?

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you had a 9th gen...then went to 10th gen and went back to a 9th gen and is missing the 10 gen? Yes the last paragraph has me confused as well.
Well, thanks for reading till now:coffee:. When the 10th gen first came out, a lot of criticisms, particular from the 9th gen. I asked myself, how could any big company, like Honda, makes something new worse than the old one? Just doesn't make sense. Not only in car manufacturing, but even in human civilization. We can only get better and that's why we are what we are today after millions of years. You may compare the 10th to another car and say it's worse; but just doesn't make sense comparing to the 9th and conclude it's worse. So the truth is, I actually moved from a 9th to a 10th, and the 10th is definitely a better car overall! I guess it's just about human nature when we lose something, we will only miss and think about the good of that something. But man, for this 10th gen, I don't even have to wait until I lose it to miss it! I love my 10th gen!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I’m confused on this as well lol glad I’m not the only one
He traded up his 10 gen Si for a 9th Gen Si, at least that is my take

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went from an RSX Type-s to (after a couple year break) to a 9th gen then 10th gen. I think I would have preferred the 8th gen over the 9th as I felt like a lot of the K20A1/Z3 character was missing and made the 9th gen not all that great... and was a source of a lot of criticism as a poor successor to gen 8 which was met with a lot of fanfare in '06. I'd never consider going from a 10th gen back to a gen 9 as I think the K24Z7 is pretty lackluster staying NA and the chassis is inferior... but if it's what you want... good on you for pursuing it.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Canadian humour, gotta love it!

amirza786

First Name
A