anyone buy the new si to replace their 9th gen si?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Hi Civicx members,

I have a question for those of you who had a 9th gen SI and traded in to buy the 10th SI.
Car has grown on me quite a bit and recently have been debating on getting rid of the 9th for the 10th SI.

I currently own a '15 SI w/ ~10000 miles and supercharged. The extra amenities and being boosted from the factory makes me think about trading it in for the new one. I am not upside down on the vehicle so I can put a decent amount of money down and not really increase the total loan amount that much compared to my current loan.

Just trying to get some opinions from previous 9th owners and if they like their 10th over the 9th and if they feel it is worth the switch or if i should maybe wait for the mid cycle refresh or possibly a Type R.

Thanks!
Sponsored

erickreds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic si
I wouldn't ,more so cuz your supercharged already I own a 2015 si with 15k; I'm tryna trade in for a type R.

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Hi Civicx members,

I have a question for those of you who had a 9th gen SI and traded in to buy the 10th SI.
Car has grown on me quite a bit and recently have been debating on getting rid of the 9th for the 10th SI.

I currently own a '15 SI w/ ~10000 miles and supercharged. The extra amenities and being boosted from the factory makes me think about trading it in for the new one. I am not upside down on the vehicle so I can put a decent amount of money down and not really increase the total loan amount that much compared to my current loan.

Just trying to get some opinions from previous 9th owners and if they like their 10th over the 9th and if they feel it is worth the switch or if i should maybe wait for the mid cycle refresh or possibly a Type R.

Thanks!
I'll admit I was a little skeptical at first owning a 9th gen and going to a 10th gen. But after 6 months of research and reading reviews and watching every video I could find i decided to pursue it. Test driving it for the first time I could immediately notice the difference in handling, power And just overall convenience as well. The touch screen with android auto is amazing, as well as the other amenities. Much better overall than my 2012. The increased gas mileage, which I can immediately tell, is a plus too. I've averaged a good 10mpg better than my 9th gen. Hope this helps man. Good luck!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X. 1966 Plymouth Barracuda
Country flag
i put 54,000 miles on my 14 civic SI in 2 years, I commute a lot. The new car is a far better car then the 9th gen it replaces in every single way. The handling\ride is more crisp, the power band is better, shifting mechanism feels better, the seats are better, the infotainment system is better, instrumentation is clear, gas mileage is better, and the car is quieter. Not having red seats that stain if you look at them wrong is nice, although i wish the center console fabric was more resilient then it is on the new car. Heel-toe is a bit challenging on the new car, but not impossible. Outside of that, I don't recall anything about the old car that makes me wish I had it back.

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
A supercharged 9th gen Si is much different than a stock 9th gen power delivery wise, so this is a hard comparison for most people. If the warranty, creature comforts and possibly the more refined handling are your primary needs that your current car isn't meeting, then it might be worth a test drive at the very least. In my opinion though, the 9th gen is a great platform to begin with, if you're planning to add more power to the 10th gen, I would just stick with the proven K24 platform, I mean you're pretty much at the point where most people who modify their cars would like to be at. You're definitely going to need to ignore the power difference on your test drive lol, are you CT roots type or the rotrex centrifugal supercharged?

I drove a first model year 9th gen Si for about a year, and all I really wanted to do to it was supercharge it and wished it had the proximity key/push start function lol.

OP
OP
boosted180sx

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I wouldn't ,more so cuz your supercharged already I own a 2015 si with 15k; I'm tryna trade in for a type R.
That was my first choice but i've tried so hard to get an allocation since the announcement of the R but its so hard with all these dealers adding 10k mark up and stuff. It actually has been a very frustrating process trying to buy a Type R which is why the SI has been on my watch. I know it's in a totally different price range but cars around the Type R price range doesn't impress me too much. Love the STI styling but using a motor from a decade ago is horrible. 370z I am not a fan of, Focus RS- even though it's great, I would never buy a Ford.
Now looking at vehicles in the SI price range. I already own a S2000 so the 86/BRZ is out of the question. WRX is GREAT but I just don't know how I feel about owning a Flat 4 motor when I think about repair and stuff. Focus ST - once again, same thing as the RS.

I'll admit I was a little skeptical at first owning a 9th gen and going to a 10th gen. But after 6 months of research and reading reviews and watching every video I could find i decided to pursue it. Test driving it for the first time I could immediately notice the difference in handling, power And just overall convenience as well. The touch screen with android auto is amazing, as well as the other amenities. Much better overall than my 2012. The increased gas mileage, which I can immediately tell, is a plus too. I've averaged a good 10mpg better than my 9th gen. Hope this helps man. Good luck!
the amenities are whats pulling me in towards the 10th SI. There is just so much more that the 10th offers over the 9th amenity wise. The MPG increase is great also. My commute to work is 30 miles each way (in god horrible LA traffic) which I split during the week with my '16 ILX and the '15 SI. I only get about 24mpg mixed driving on the SI so the increase in MPG is great also.

i put 54,000 miles on my 14 civic SI in 2 years, I commute a lot. The new car is a far better car then the 9th gen it replaces in every single way. The handling\ride is more crisp, the power band is better, shifting mechanism feels better, the seats are better, the infotainment system is better, instrumentation is clear, gas mileage is better, and the car is quieter. Not having red seats that stain if you look at them wrong is nice, although i wish the center console fabric was more resilient then it is on the new car. Heel-toe is a bit challenging on the new car, but not impossible. Outside of that, I don't recall anything about the old car that makes me wish I had it back.
I have the Acuity shortshifter on the 9th gen so it might not be great to compare a factory 10th shifter with. Oh, and god the red seats ... I love them but I somehow got one very minor stain on it which I have no idea how it got there that just bugs me lol. Heel and Toe is a bit challenging on my 9th also so that probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. I think it's just the pedal placement. (which is PERFECT when I take the s2000)

A supercharged 9th gen Si is much different than a stock 9th gen power delivery wise, so this is a hard comparison for most people. If the warranty, creature comforts and possibly the more refined handling are your primary needs that your current car isn't meeting, then it might be worth a test drive at the very least. In my opinion though, the 9th gen is a great platform to begin with, if you're planning to add more power to the 10th gen, I would just stick with the proven K24 platform, I mean you're pretty much at the point where most people who modify their cars would like to be at. You're definitely going to need to ignore the power difference on your test drive lol, are you CT roots type or the rotrex centrifugal supercharged?

I drove a first model year 9th gen Si for about a year, and all I really wanted to do to it was supercharge it and wished it had the proximity key/push start function lol.
It's mainly the creature comfort that is pulling me in towards the SI. That and I guess the "smog" check from the 6th year on. Being in CA having to install/reinstall the blower every few years might get tiring.
I have the CT-E Kit so it's a roots type blower. Currently has ~252whp no lag, on the stock intake so it's a little bit on the lower side of the power. I'm not too concentrated on the power difference btwn my current and the 10th Si because Intake/downpipe/clutch when it comes out along with a tune from Vitviper(he tuned my 9th gen and its been GREAT) would be the first thing I would do and he seems to have gotten great power out of the L15. A part of me is a little skeptical on the reliability part however because it hasn't been out for as long as the K24 has.

Thanks for all of your input. Surprised to see so many have moved on from the 9th to the 10th SI. Seems most ppl have only great things to say compared to the 9th. I'm actually going to go test drive it today and see how i feel about the car. Is the rev hang still horrible like the 9th gen on factory tune? I assume it is because of the dual mass flywheel it seems to have.

Sorry for the wall of text lol.

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
Oh damn I didn't see you were in California, I thought the CTE was CARB legal. I can see how it would get tiring pulling and reinstalling parts for smog check. I think that alone is worth the jump lol. Good luck sir, theres no doubt your SC 9th gen is a fun a car, but I think the 10th gen is just as fun and easier to get up to your current power levels without the extra hassle.

OP
OP
boosted180sx

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Oh damn I didn't see you were in California, I thought the CTE was CARB legal. I can see how it would get tiring pulling and reinstalling parts for smog check. I think that alone is worth the jump lol. Good luck sir, theres no doubt your SC 9th gen is a fun a car, but I think the 10th gen is just as fun and easier to get up to your current power levels without the extra hassle.
yeah ..... california ... lol. But the look on people's faces when they don't expect the whine is very enjoyable though lol. I get the "WTF" look a lot.
Regarding the smog, I don't have to smog the car until 2021 since my car is a '15 so I still do have a few more years. With the 10th SI, all i would have to do is reinstall the factory downpipe and flash it back to stock which is far easier than removing the blower/reinstalling the factory cats and then flash to stock. Original plan was to keep it until i have to smog it then sell/trade in for a car but the more I see the 10th SI/Type R, more I want it lol. My total loan term would only really increase 1 year if I made the switch so it just seems like a great car for the price. A part of me is still itching to wait till the R is more readily available although that might be wishing too much.

I'm going to see how I really feel after test driving it. I've only previously drove it around the parking lot so I wasn't really able to get the right feel for the car. It's just good to know a lot of people have no regrets moving up to the 10th.

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
I had a '13 Si sedan on Eibach ProKit springs & bars, and just got a '17 coupe. I just hit 500 miles, and I'm extremely happy. Very different, but better in almost every regard, IMO.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/my-new-2017-aegean-blue-si-coupe.12339/

I'm not a power junkie, though, and I've been babying it so far, but I don't have any complaints. I am a handling junkie, and this car is both more capable and more comfortable. Get the Summer Tires if you can; the standard ones don't do justice to the car.

Also, I had an '02 and '05 S2000, and this car feels like a grown up version of the '05 in terms of handling. The ride is very different from the 9th gen, close in feel to my BMW 135i with Performance Suspension. I'm really impressed.

Last edited:

sfedai0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 civic
Country flag
I had a '13 Si sedan on Eibach ProKit springs & bars, and just got a '17 coupe. I just hit 500 miles, and I'm extremely happy. Very different, but better in almost every regard, IMO.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/my-new-2017-aegean-blue-si-coupe.12339/

I'm not a power junkie, though, and I've been babying it so far, but I don't have any complaints. I am a handling junkie, and this car is both more capable and more comfortable. Get the Summer Tires if you can; the standard ones don't do justice to the car.

Also, I had an '02 and '05 S2000, and this car feels like a grown up version of the '05 in terms of handling. The ride is very different from the 9th gen, close in feel to my BMW 135i with Performance Suspension. I'm really impressed.

Very useful feedback. Im coming from a ap2 also, and am tossing between another Ap2 or getting this.

PvtZoller

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2015 Honda CRV
Country flag
I had a 2015 Si Sedan and upgraded to a 2017. . . . Loading up on lots of high performance modification is not really for me so we are probably coming from different places. My 15 had an intake, flashpro, and some sticky tires.

So far I love my 2017. The turbo makes for some very smooth power, wonderfully quiet and easy to drive. I really love the amenities. Heated seats, apple car play, new climate control.

I am VERY busy with work and family so I dont keep cars for very long just for the sake of NEVER worrying about reliability or repairs . . . And I like cool new stuff.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
My 15 is now for sale :)

https://www.genestevenshonda.com/inventory-details/2015/Honda/Civic/2HGFB6E54FH708981

The 10th is pretty much better in every way as you'd expect in a new design. Seats are more comfortable , features like the 10 speaker stereo, heated seats and outside mirrors along with the dual zone climate are a welcome touch. The car drives better too. The body structure is much more rigid and the steering has improved drastically over my 9th. Power wise there is no comparison as Vit showed on the dyno 40 more HP and 60 LB-ft more torque to the wheel vs a stock K24. Biggest difference is MPG, I'm getting 8 more on the same commute.

Misses... Exhaust is quieter and no intake roar like the 9th. Rear camera and lane watch isn't as clear. Major traction issues with the Goodyear tires at WOT. 1st gear is nothing but wheelspin and can break them loose pretty easily just rolling into the throttle in 2nd. Drove it in the rain yesterday and could break them loose in 4th gear.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
My 15 is now for sale :)

https://www.genestevenshonda.com/inventory-details/2015/Honda/Civic/2HGFB6E54FH708981

The 10th is pretty much better in every way as you'd expect in a new design. [...]

Misses... [...] Major traction issues with the Goodyear tires at WOT. 1st gear is nothing but wheelspin and can break them loose pretty easily just rolling into the throttle in 2nd. Drove it in the rain yesterday and could break them loose in 4th gear.
VERY clean '15 - looks all-original and meticulously maintained. That's one used car I would actually buy (and I'm NOT a used-car buyer). That's how my trades always look - as good, if not better, than the day I bought them. Had that car been available near me and before I bought my '17, I'd probably have offered $18K cash. I was originally considering a used Si, but the few I found were overpriced, abused, and/or modified from stock.

I completely agree about the factory all-season tires being inadequate to handle even the stock power levels. However, I can't bring myself to pay more for Summer tires that may need replacement every 10,000 miles. I'm used to getting 75,000 miles out of a set of Michelins on my Ridgelines. Type R owners who will daily drive theirs are really in a pickle for now since there are no all-seaons tires available in its size - only dedicated and expensive season-specific tires. That's one of a several reasons I'm glad I didn't buy a Type R - it's too much of a race car.

Last edited:

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
I completely agree about the factory all-season tires being inadequate to handle even the stock power levels. However, I can't bring myself to pay more for Summer tires that may need replacement every 10,000 miles. I'm using to getting 75,000 miles out of a set of Michelins on my Ridgelines. Type R owners who will daily drive theirs are really in a pickle for now since there are no all-seaons tires available in its size - only dedicated and expensive season-specific tires. That's one of a several reasons I'm glad I didn't buy a Type R - it's too much of a race car.
This is killing me right now. I had Potenza S-04s on my '13, and while they didn't last terribly long, they were so good it was worth it. They lasted much longer than they did on my RWD BMW 135i, which I gave up partially because it was a tire-eating monster and I had to reduce expenses. I'm struggling with this decision too, since it seems so wasteful, but good tires really transform the car.

I think the suspension on the '17 is more capable than my '13 on Eibach ProKit, but I was far more confident in that car, due to the good tires. They were good enough to exceed my confidence/skill level, whereas these all seasons feel designed specifically to make the driver not want to push the car at all. They don't necessarily give up, but they howl and squeal at the slightest provocation, so it seems like I'm being an irresponsible jerk when I'm barely pushing it.

@zroger73, trust me, it's worth sacrificing some longevity; remember, the point of this car is totally different than the point of a nice truck. I totally agree with your reasons for not getting an R (felt like I could've written your post a while back myself), and was looking for the same as you with the Si. But I can't over state how much of a difference good tires make on a sports car.

Maybe one of you can accidentally spill a box of nails in front of my car so I'll be able to justify getting good tires...? ;)
Sponsored