Went from a 9th gen to 10th

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Hello all , I'm new here . Just thought I'd post some thoughts from a 9th gen owner .

Just picked up my new SI coupe today , traded in my 2015 coupe .

I put about 200 miles on her today , and here is my take on a few points of interest .

Looks
Pictures didn't really do it justice . When I saw it in person it put a smile on my face for sure . From the front and back it looks a different car . Side profile is similar . I got the modern steel color. I think the lighter colors look nice too with the blacked out pieces .

Interior is a step up in every way imo , with the exception of the cheap stained in one day fabric on the door ...also an issue on gen 9 . I really like it overall . The car seats you lower and is lower in general ..scrapes a bit in my driveway when my old one didn't .

Performance

So this is my first turbo car . I've been gentle on it so far but the low end torque is much appreciated . I do miss letting the 9th gen sitting at 4k then matting it for instant power . This one does has some lag , but when it kicks in it's fun for sure .
I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other , it's different . I like both .

The steering feel and handling is MUCH better . Tho I couldn't really tell much difference with sport mode on . Heavier steering but that's it really ...again I've been taking it easy .
I do zip down a downhill turn I really enjoy , and about 40mph in my 9th gen I felt that was about it . In this car I feel I could have probably pushed it to 50 . I'll experinent more later .

I'm not sure if it's faster than the 9th . I've only went up to 5k once , and typically not over 4k for a couple hundred more miles . The delivery of power is different for sure .

I was going around a turn at about 3k and gave it half gas and when the boost came in the tires did slip . Gonna have to get used to how turbo cars drive .

It definitely has more power in higher gears. I gave it half throttle in 5th and didn't even realize I got up to 70mph.... In a 40 haha.

And on to the sound , which is why I didn't know . It's quiet . I don't really care for mods on cars but I may boost the sound .

It does sound good ...and it's cool when the you hear the turbo spooling...but I wish it was a bit louder . Occasional burp from the exhaust couldn't been more frequent .

Tech

Having Android auto is a plus for sure . Haven't used it much but tinkered for a bit and it's pretty good .

The head unit seems similar a bit more involved . Again ..not much time spent with it .

Sound system ....
The sound system in the 9th gen was so bad . Worst factory car stereo I've had since ....probably the late 90s.

This one isn't particularly good but it is much better than gen 9. I haven't experience any sub rattle yet like I've heard about but some songs even the front speakers seem to distort a bit even at low volume . Step up for sure ..nothing to write home about tho .

I'm not sure how I feel about the electronic parking break either . Guess I'll get used to it . I'd prefer a normal brake . The brake hold feature is nice tho .

I really like this car tho and can't wait to get some days off and drive . I'm looking forward to it .

My only hard complaint is that little 1.5 litre. I have a steep driveway and have to come to a complete stop when turning into it . Man that thing struggles getting up the driveway haha . I almost stalled the car the first time ha.

Yes that was a wall of text my apologies ha , have a pleasant day all .
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welcome to Civic X. What gear are you using for your driveway?

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Thank you kind sir .

1st . I have to come to a complete stop , then go slow at an angle to avoid scraping . The old car pulled right up. This one struggles a bit .

Once I get used to the car some more I'm sure I can give it some more gas from the start .

MY driveway is no joke tho haha

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Or when I wear the plastic guard down enough haha I'll probably be more comfortable with going in with more speed .

The worst sound to hear with a new car is scraping haha

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you kind sir .

1st . I have to come to a complete stop , then go slow at an angle to avoid scraping . The old car pulled right up. This one struggles a bit .

Once I get used to the car some more I'm sure I can give it some more gas from the start .

MY driveway is no joke tho haha
It's hard for me to imagine you having any trouble. May just take getting used to / comfortable with the car.

I'm sure you will continue to enjoy the car. Even more power is just an ECU flash away!

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Yes I'm sure its a getting used to it thing ...being afraid to scrape .

But you can feel a big power difference on a steep grade below boost compared to the 9th .

Other than that the power feels sufficient. I hope to have some fun driving this weekend , thanks :)

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How is the rev hang? Considering the dealer I went to made me an appointment and then lied to me about not having any Si's so I wouldn't be able to drive one I wouldn't know. I have heard it's nonexistent, better than the base civic, and ridiculous, so I have no judgement.

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Well I haven't driven it hard yet ....but I will say the 1st to 2nd shift feels off. It seems like a long drop in rpms.

All of the other shifts seem fine and don't seem to hang at all . It drops rpm as soon as you hit the clutch.

I'll be honest , I was kinda worried about the Rev hang from what I was reading but I can't really tell there is any with the exception of the first to second shift ....but that may be just from gear ratios .

My 9th gen seemed to hang more than this one does .

The gearing is different for sure from the previous gen . Rev matching doesn't need as much rpm but you do have to blip the throttle harder than you do in the 9th gen .

Again this is all based off of only slightly spirited driving . I haven't taken to redline or when wot gear to hear .

I will give more impressions on this once I start giving it the beans , lol :)

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I haven't driven it hard yet ....but I will say the 1st to 2nd shift feels off. It seems like a long drop in rpms.

All of the other shifts seem fine and don't seem to hang at all . It drops rpm as soon as you hit the clutch.

I'll be honest , I was kinda worried about the Rev hang from what I was reading but I can't really tell there is any with the exception of the first to second shift ....but that may be just from gear ratios .

My 9th gen seemed to hang more than this one does .

The gearing is different for sure from the previous gen . Rev matching doesn't need as much rpm but you do have to blip the throttle harder than you do in the 9th gen .

Again this is all based off of only slightly spirited driving . I haven't taken to redline or when wot gear to hear .

I will give more impressions on this once I start giving it the beans , lol :)
Thanks! I'd certainly love to hear more after your break-in period is up and you're more comfortable and used to the car. Enjoy!

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
And to speak on the clutch (since I've heard complaints ) and the shifter (which is praised)

The clutch for sure is very light (which at my old age I like ) but it doesn't feel much different at all than the 9th gen in terms of feel.

The shifter , imo doesn't feel as solid as the 9th gen . But the throws are shorter and it's much easier to hit 5th and 6th . It goes right right in without any effort or awkwardness . Especially 6th since that's sometimes awkward because you rarely use it except on highways .

As for the gearing ...I feel I was always a gear lower in the new car than the old car .

Typically roads I would cruise in 5th gear at say 45 or so I'd be in 4th gear in this car .

I'm curious to see speeds in gear compared to the last gen . They might be the same , and it may just be me subconsciously keeping it in boost territory . But is still like to compare .

I will say that I have seen an increase in gas mileage of about 6mpg so far which is nice , since the state I live in has some of the highest gas taxes in the nation :(

I also wonder if the put in premium fuel ...I doubt it. So I am curious to see if there will be any difference when I put in premium .

My gas Indicator when I bought the car said I had almost 400 miles . If that is to be color me impressed . I was lucky to get 300 in my old car . Even a grain of 50 miles per tank would be fantastic !

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
No problem bud . I think they say 600 miles for break in , but I'm probably gonna start driving normally at about 400 or so . That's what I did in my previous car .

Apologies for my spelling errors .

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
The first one I looked at was lunar silver. (It was sold ) Infact I saw the girl who bought that one at a sheets gas station today haha .

I put a deposit down and the first color to come in was this one . I wanted lunar silver , or white ...but when I saw the modern steel I really liked it so I said yes !

Haha . But thanks , also :)

OP
OP
9civic10

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Quick side story

While I was at the dealer today they had a white type r . A little much for my taste haha but it was definitely unique .

I asked to drive it but was told no , ha (was sold months before hand according to the dealer)

Figured it was worth a shot at least ha
Sponsored