OP
OP

GlNib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR, 2013 Civic Si
Country flag
More details please as you get them. I know I posted before mentioning a metallic chattering noise when decelerating and people said on here its a performance car it is the LSD like above.
I took it in a few times, but they still do not know what's going. Hopefully someone here has better luck.

i have the same issue with my 2018 Type-R. i'm not so sure that it's the LSD. it's only when decelerating, and it's a spinning sound...disappears when the car is put into neutral. the sound is apparent when you let your foot off the gas, and goes away as soon as you give it any throttle. putting the car in neutral as you hear the sound, you can hear it die down quickly as the RPM drops. i could be experiencing something different for all i know, but does this sound like it describes the same issue?
Exactly! This is the same thing I am experiencing. See... I'm not crazy...

That almost sounds like the BOV being open during deacceleration. My SI makes that exact same noise during deaccerlation only. I believe the LSD would be more of a whine, and not a hissing kind of noise.

Try getting a video inside a parking garage or something. Maybe im missing what you're hearing.

Edit: I'm assuming while only in gear right? If you let it sit in neutral and coast, I'm assuming the noise stops ?

Is your car stock?
Yeah, my car is stock. Yes, it only happens when in gear and decelerating. Neutral.. the sound is gone. I will try to do a video in a garage. It will hopefully be more noticeable.
Sponsored

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (grey, sedan), 2018 Honda Civic Type-R (black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took it to the dealership and took a ride with one of the mechanics with a Type-R, it's got the same issue. He's going to escalate the issue next week and get back to me on what it is. Hopefully it's something normal.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Guys I think I found the issue. I have no access to it I have to go to the dealership. The wastegate lever has a play, I cannot tighen due to the heatshield. Grab the wastegate lever and try to move it. Im almost 100% sure that is the issue.

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I tried to tighen it but I cannot reach. Will take it to the dealer.

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
try jingling this.. if it is loose then it is what rattles as you decelerate. engine will vibrate causing this metal to vibrate in between bolts.. you can even recognize that sound just by jingling it with your hands.

oax21d.jpg
Have you tighten it? Did the sounds go away?
I'm experiencing the same issue and it is annoying!

I did zip tie it so there was no play anymore but then when I drove the annoying sound was still there...

FK8_K20c1

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Have you tighten it? Did the sounds go away?
I'm experiencing the same issue and it is annoying!

I did zip tie it so there was no play anymore but then when I drove the annoying sound was still there...
Not yet. Waiting on the master tech to come from training.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
I took it to the dealership and took a ride with one of the mechanics with a Type-R, it's got the same issue. He's going to escalate the issue next week and get back to me on what it is. Hopefully it's something normal.
Did you get any additional info this past week?

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is what I have from a technician at Honda:
"So I did get to test drive with the dealer rep and our field tech and what they said it was the brakes that are making that noise. What they had told me is because the caliper is a floating caliper. The reason the noise Is not there is because the wheel/bearing/rotor are not under load. Therefore it shifts the pads away from the rotor. It's called unloading the wheels. There no torque."

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here is what I have from a technician at Honda:
"So I did get to test drive with the dealer rep and our field tech and what they said it was the brakes that are making that noise. What they had told me is because the caliper is a floating caliper. The reason the noise Is not there is because the wheel/bearing/rotor are not under load. Therefore it shifts the pads away from the rotor. It's called unloading the wheels. There no torque."
o_O

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I thought the same thing. It doesn't sound right. Might have to get it on a dyno or something and listen to the source of the sound more specifically.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I thought the same thing. It doesn't sound right. Might have to get it on a dyno or something and listen to the source of the sound more specifically.
From what they said my understanding would be if we are coasting and the sound is occurring it should stop when we apply pressure to the brakes. Which is not the case, the sound is still there.

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what they said my understanding would be if we are coasting and the sound is occurring it should stop when we apply pressure to the brakes. Which is not the case, the sound is still there.
yes those were my thoughts exactly. i'm still thinking that it's something turbo-related. i think the techs at the dealership were guessing because they didn't take the time to figure out what it really was. like they heard the sound and immediately said "yup that's gotta be the brakes!"

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i created a case ticket with Honda. the company's website, not a dealership. this was what i wrote to them:
2018 Civic Type-R
light grinding noise when decelerating, and in gear only. the noise drops with the RPM. sounds like something spinning. braking does not have an effect on the sound. not really loud, so you can't hear it with the windows up, or going faster than 40 mph because the wind drowns out the noise. i have checked forums, and other type-r owners are reporting same issue. taken it to the dealership, and the techs there had no idea, and the same was reported from others on forums who have also taken it in to their dealerships. i was wondering if this is a normal sound or if it's a potential problem. it is not the LSD. it is not the brakes. sounds like it could be something turbo-related, but not sure.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/high-pitched-light-grind-in-2nd-3rd-coasting.13946/page-2

https://www.civicx.com/threads/metallic-sound-when-decelerating.22390/page-2
Sponsored