OP
MrPink

MrPink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Agreed. All the posts are like that. It gets old.

For the noise, I wonder if it's something that will get quieter after the break-in period, especially if it is in fact drivetrain noise, since that is primarily what the break-in period is for.
i drove around lastnight to monitor... and what people are saying about it getting quieter or happening less frequently after the car warms up (past the temp gauge warm up period) is true..

when u have ur windows closed u can't even hear it..

i am afraid of something not getting lubricated properly ... sounds like a cheap fidget spinner haha
Sponsored

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can someone snag a recording of it? That would be most helpful.

CTR_FK8_00436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR / 2011 Civic Hybrid
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can someone snag a recording of it? That would be most helpful.
Yes! I keep wondering how to do this. I'm think of me (or a passenger) using the mic + recorder on a smartphone, but I think it will be hard to capture the sound. Anyone have any ideas or know any tricks to capture noise coming from under the hood/car? Someone suggested a tunnel, which may help, but I don't have any nearby, so I'm at a disadvantage here.

OP
OP
MrPink

MrPink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
i drove around lastnight to monitor... and what people are saying about it getting quieter or happening less frequently after the car warms up (past the temp gauge warm up period) is true..

when u have ur windows closed u can't even hear it
Yes! I keep wondering how to do this. I'm think of me (or a passenger) using the mic + recorder on a smartphone, but I think it will be hard to capture the sound. Anyone have any ideas or know any tricks to capture noise coming from under the hood/car? Someone suggested a tunnel, which may help, but I don't have any nearby, so I'm at a disadvantage here.
yah nothing long enough to capture the noise... hmmmm.. trying to think... the wind would negate any sound ur hearing if it was just an open road unless u knew exactly where it was coming from.. i have a go pro... so maybe i will try with a passenger

RosevilleSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
I have this same noise. If you'll notice, you won't hear it when you're giving it gas. I thought it was just the blowoff for the turbo? I know there is a phshew! sound when you really give it gas and then drop off of it quick, but the noise your talking about is possibly a general bleed of some sort? That was my only guess. I haven't been to worried about it, but I don't remember noticing it when I first bought the car and now it seems to be fairly prominent.
Heeeeey. I have this too. I noticed it a week ago and thought it was like a metallic rubbing or flapping?? when I wasn't on the gas. I theorized it was suspension if rubbing, or something with the turbo under vacuum.

Any ideas?

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
Heeeeey. I have this too. I noticed it a week ago and thought it was like a metallic rubbing or flapping?? when I wasn't on the gas. I theorized it was suspension if rubbing, or something with the turbo under vacuum.

Any ideas?
Its the bushings breaking in , take it to the track

lgd251

First Name
LG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R 2017
Vehicle Showcase
Shouldn't have read this thread, now I hear it loud and clear! :doh:

I passed in a tunnel yesterday and it was fairly loud, but the car had been running for about 5 to 6 minutes! Will try to snag a video if I can later today!

lgd251

First Name
LG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R 2017
Vehicle Showcase
Had a hard time getting a video where you can hear the high pitched sound. It would be easier with a windscreen and an external mic. If you listen carefully at 0:07 in the video you can hear when I lifted the throttle the sudden hissing sound. Off throttle the sound is constant. Will give it another try with some sort of windscreen on my iPhone. TBC

Rawklobster

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017
i know there are threads about grinding when coasting etc.. i don't know if this is the same issue... i only hear it when the windows are down..

it's a higher pitched light metal on metal grinding noise when i left off the gas .. mostly happens in city driving ...

anyone get the same noise? or had it checked out?
Same issue here. When I brought it in the mechanics at the dealer had no clue, which quite honestly didn't inspire any confidence in them.
There was another type R on the lot that had yet to be picked up and they test drive it and heard they exact same noise.
The notes the mechanic made to my issue was because the other type r was also making the noise that it was a normal sound......
He didn't even know what it was but I guess cause the other one was making the same noise then it must be fine.....
Anyone hearing this I urge you all to please report this to your dealership. They only way this will get corrected is if enough owners put it to paper.
I've never heard a car making this noise and called it normal. Even if it's a minor thing it should be addressed while all your cars still have warranty. It could lead to something else down the road and the last thing anyone wants is to give Honda some sort of excuse to claim it's not covered.

HondaReese23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 and EM1
I am very glad I am not the only one. I see no reason why this should be occurring and why it should be considered normal. I am going to drive the car for a few thousand miles and if I am still hearing the noise I will take it in. I just don't like others working on my car :)
Anybody have any luck taking it to the dealer?

HondaReese23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 and EM1
I am very glad I am not the only one. I see no reason why this should be occurring and why it should be considered normal. I am going to drive the car for a few thousand miles and if I am still hearing the noise I will take it in. I just don't like others working on my car :)
Anybody have any luck taking it to the dealer?

kaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black FK8 | 2017 Sonic Grey FK7
Country flag
discussion seemed dead...
going to assume that this is normal and there is nothing to worry about?

@MrPink what did your dealer say?

HondaReese23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 and EM1
not sure why it would be normal.
does every Type R owner have this issue? if so, then it would be deemed "normal", no?

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
Have you guys put a couple thousand miles on it? Is it still happening then?

My money is still on break in noise. The primary reason there is a break in period is so that the gears in the drivetrain can have a chance to get mated (i.e. grooved) to one another.
Sponsored