Twills97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Will confirm, my brand new 21 type r has made this sound since purchased on 04/22/21. Only 8 miles on odometer when leaving the dealer. Didn't really notice on my drive home, Im guessing I was to excited about my new purchase. I've been hearing it ever since then. Currently at 750ish miles. Didn't redline it, didn't mash the throttle, didnt race anyone, never dumped the clutch....
well I might have done a third gear pull from 4k to 5k, but I know for sure it wasn't until after atleast 350 miles. Only done that twice when letting a friend ride in it, But never red lined or raced/dogged the car.
After 600 miles I began to drive a little more aggressive, only because nobody owns a type r in my area,, so all the wrx and sti guys try to race,, and trust me, there is plenty of them to go around...
Don't wanna go to the dealer because, 1. I don't want them to drive the car and, 2. they always say they can't hear the sounds or feel... etc... I hear it when when shifting from 1st to second, like for a few seconds then goes away as soon as I release the clutch, the sound get less noticeable as gears increase, if I push the clutch in and hold it in, or just shift to neutral and release the clutch, the sound goes away. If I just let off the throttle completely and coast but stay in gear I hear the sound, same as changing gears, it gets less noticeable as gears increase.
I remember someone saying before about the cotterpin on the actuator making a similar noise. But to me it just sounds more intense than a rattle. Idk. Just sad that after paying for a 2021 "sports" car, especially at the hefty 39k that I paid. I kinda get embarrassed and hope that nobody else hears it as I do. Like going through main street in my town with buildings on each side, im sure the sounds are amplified, I avoid going down it, even though I wanna show off the car, just because I don't want people to assume it's a p.o.s....

bring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 CW
Country flag
Itā€˜s when you let off the throttle - a high-pitched rattle - vey soft, not loud. If you have the radio on you wonā€™t hear it.

Last edited:

bakutobiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
In addition to the typical wastegate actuator "jingling keys" noise that is confirmed to be normal, I also have this exact sound that you posted. It also is only perceptible at low RPMs and low speeds. It actually sounds like a very small exhaust leak.

Edit: looks like there is a recently started thread with the same "slapping" noise:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/possible-knocking-noise.63944/

jcfishel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R #44709, 1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
Country flag
This has been a very informational thread! I picked up a CW 2021 model on Memorial day and it made the noise immediately leaving the dealership lot with only 8 miles on the odometer. I really thought I was hearing things but this thread has me convinced what I'm hearing is the electronic wastegate actuator. For me it almost sounds like the faint tinkling sound an old burned out filament style lightbulb makes with you shake it close to your ear. Most audible with the windows down, between 3k-4k, off throttle, regardless of gear, clutch or brake pedal and goes away with even the lightest pressure on the throttle.

subscribed to this thread on the off chance a TSB is ever posted.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This has been a very informational thread! I picked up a CW 2021 model on Memorial day and it made the noise immediately leaving the dealership lot with only 8 miles on the odometer. I really thought I was hearing things but this thread has me convinced what I'm hearing is the electronic wastegate actuator. For me it almost sounds like the faint tinkling sound an old burned out filament style lightbulb makes with you shake it close to your ear. Most audible with the windows down, between 3k-4k, off throttle, regardless of gear, clutch or brake pedal and goes away with even the lightest pressure on the throttle.

subscribed to this thread on the off chance a TSB is ever posted.
I really hope there's a fix but at this point zero faith. It does sound kinda ridiculous. I just installed a catless downpipe and I can say another fix is simply to make your exhaust so loud you can't hear the ringing! Definitely works for me haha.

veedster

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
I donā€™t know if anyone is still struggling with this issue, but Iā€™ve been reading the forums and decided to inspect the wastegate actuator/level. Itā€™s located at the front engine bay and itā€™s beneath the very front metallic heat shield, with a part of it sticking out that connects to what Iā€™m assuming to be the turbo/intake system. I tried to tighten this level, and even though it seemed to have a little bit of lag, I tightened it by a quarter turn. I took the car out to test to see if that metallic sound was still there, and even though it didnā€™t go away completely (you could still hear it very very faint) it essentially sounded much better. So I donā€™t know, does this thing loosen up when doing pulls? Who knows, I hope I donā€™t have to keep tightening it lol

jcfishel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R #44709, 1993 300ZX Twin Turbo
Country flag
I donā€™t know if anyone is still struggling with this issue, but Iā€™ve been reading the forums and decided to inspect the wastegate actuator/level. Itā€™s located at the front engine bay and itā€™s beneath the very front metallic heat shield, with a part of it sticking out that connects to what Iā€™m assuming to be the turbo/intake system. I tried to tighten this level, and even though it seemed to have a little bit of lag, I tightened it by a quarter turn. I took the car out to test to see if that metallic sound was still there, and even though it didnā€™t go away completely (you could still hear it very very faint) it essentially sounded much better. So I donā€™t know, does this thing loosen up when doing pulls? Who knows, I hope I donā€™t have to keep tightening it lol

If you read this whole thread you'll see that you should not be messing with that electronic wastegate actuator, Tinkering with it might inadvertently trigger a CEL. Just complain to the HoA about it and subscribe to the thread to see if there is an update on it (not likely).
Sponsored