StellarType_R

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Finally upgraded to 18” wheels and am leaning towards running these or falken azenis rt615k + in 265/35r18. They use the as4 on the newest c8 corvette. Anyone have experience with these? I need traction and street ability. Thanks!
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Finally upgraded to 18” wheels and am leaning towards running these or falken azenis rt615k + in 265/35r18. They use the as4 on the newest c8 corvette. Anyone have experience with these? I need traction and street ability. Thanks!
I'm running these right now, I haven't used the Falken to compare though. Had the AS3+ before that (until a nail claimed their remaining life) and the Nitto NeoGen before that. The AS4 do get a lot of traction in the dry and do a good job in the wet. In these regards they are better than the AS3+. I'll probably skip talking about snow and winter since you're in CA. It was able to survive my midwest winter decently though.

Don't get the Nitto NeoGen... Just don't.

OP
OP
StellarType_R

StellarType_R

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm running these right now, I haven't used the Falken to compare though. Had the AS3+ before that (until a nail claimed their remaining life) and the Nitto NeoGen before that. The AS4 do get a lot of traction in the dry and do a good job in the wet. In these regards they are better than the AS3+. I'll probably skip talking about snow and winter since you're in CA. It was able to survive my midwest winter decently though.

Don't get the Nitto NeoGen... Just don't.
Thank you, that’s very helpful. Should be a great option especially since they are $70 off the whole set.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
I recently put these on my 2019. Moved down to an 18" wheel with the AS4 in 265/35/18. One of the best tire's I have driven on in years. They grip like hell for a uhp and are not overly loud. Some tone in the 60-70mph range but keep in mind they are a uhp and a decently wide tire. They won't be dead silent but they are not awful loud. The sidewalls are strong as well. Very happy with my purchase.

I am in upstate NY where it can get cold, that's the reason I went with the AS4 versus the PS4S, and a little more treadwear without giving up too much. I don't drive it much if at all in the winter so cannot comment on snow performance (have a suby outback for this time of year), but wanted to be able to take it out on dry days if there isn't tons of salt laid down on the roads.

Do it, you won't be disappointed.

shan0mak

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
I recently put these on my 2019. Moved down to an 18" wheel with the AS4 in 265/35/18. One of the best tire's I have driven on in years. They grip like hell for a uhp and are not overly loud. Some tone in the 60-70mph range but keep in mind they are a uhp and a decently wide tire. They won't be dead silent but they are not awful loud. The sidewalls are strong as well. Very happy with my purchase.

I am in upstate NY where it can get cold, that's the reason I went with the AS4 versus the PS4S, and a little more treadwear without giving up too much. I don't drive it much if at all in the winter so cannot comment on snow performance (have a suby outback for this time of year), but wanted to be able to take it out on dry days if there isn't tons of salt laid down on the roads.

Do it, you won't be disappointed.
I realize this is the type-r thread, which I do not have, but I am battling between the AS and PS4S. I’m also in Western NY. If I plan to have a winter wheel/tire setup from October 15 - April 15, do you think I should go for the full summer PS4S’s? What made you finally go all season?

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
I realize this is the type-r thread, which I do not have, but I am battling between the AS and PS4S. I’m also in Western NY. If I plan to have a winter wheel/tire setup from October 15 - April 15, do you think I should go for the full summer PS4S’s? What made you finally go all season?
I wanted to be able to move the vehicle without damaging expensive tires during winter, which neither AS4 or PS4S are cheap. Summer tires in cold temperatures turn in to hockey pucks and can crack if it gets cold enough (which it does here).

The AS4 will kick up less gravel in to the car and I also have zero intentions of putting this car on a track in anger while it's financed. The AS4 has more than enough grip (understatement) for when I decide to thrash it on some back roads.

Put the AS4 on your EX and run dedicated snows in the winter. Highly recommend the Sumitomo Ice Edge snows. When we got that 45" in December, my 2007 Outback with those on it was friggin unstoppable. Granted AWD but it was laughable how good it was. Not expensive snow tires at all, wear well, handle well for snows and are not loud.

Last edited:

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
I'll second what tinyman392 and RTC975 have said about the tire. I'm running an AS4 255/35 on my 19" wheels. This gives me just a tiny bit better ride than the OEMs. It also gives me much better peace of mind about the road conditions in the northern section of the country.

You certainly lose traction compared to most any summer tire but this tire does a nice job through all the cold temps we see. I personally do not drive in the snow or even on slushy roads so I can't comment on that.

One thing I've learned on this forum is that tinyman392 always gives good advice.

shan0mak

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
I wanted to be able to move the vehicle without damaging expensive tires during winter, which neither AS4 or PS4S are cheap. Summer tires in cold temperatures turn in to hockey pucks and can crack if it gets cold enough (which it does here).

The AS4 will kick up less gravel in to the car and I also have zero intentions of putting this car on a track in anger while it's financed. The AS4 has more than enough grip (understatement) for when I decide to thrash it on some back roads.

Put the AS4 on your EX and run dedicated snows in the winter. Highly recommend the Sumitomo Ice Edge snows. When we got that 45" in December, my 2007 Outback with those on it was friggin unstoppable. Granted AWD but it was laughable how good it was. Not expensive snow tires at all, wear well, handle well for snows and are not loud.
Thank you! Sorry to hijack OP, seemed it could add a bit more to the thread. This pretty much verifies all I was thinking, those darn YouTube reviews on the PS4S make them so tempting, but are honestly way more than I need. I’ll stick with the AS I had originally settled on. Honestly the overall reviews are stellar for the AS too, but I don’t need to tell you that!

Cheers

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello!

I have a Sport 6MT, so not quite a Type R, but I am so far in love with my Pilot AS4 tires. They really do grip in dry conditions, I can only get them to chirp above 40 when I slam shift, which even my Pirelli summer tires would do. The wet traction is pretty good as well, and snow was passable surprisingly. I have about 10k miles on the tires already, and I love they confidence and progressive break-free of them. Road noise is acceptable, with moderate tread noise at 70+ on Kentucky / Ohio highways. They have saved me from more than a few slides when Ive cooked turns too. Overall, for a 540 treadwear All-Season, they perform like a low-mid range summer tire. I would not hesitate to buy them again.

shan0mak

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Does the "rim protector" strip along the sidewall on these add width in a way that could affect fitment?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Does the "rim protector" strip along the sidewall on these add width in a way that could affect fitment?
In reality it shouldn't. They're designed to stick out just slightly more than the rim would. The stock tires on the FK8 have rim protectors too.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't have a CTR, but I just put PS4AS on my '19 Si, and I am blown away by how good they feel. Great dry traction, and they feel very sure footed in the wet. I have never used the Falkens, but I don't see how you could go wrong with the Michelin PS4AS.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm going to add this bit of info as well ... the Michelin PS4AS (235/40R18) are quieter than my OEM Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season (235/40R18).

*both measurements were done on the same stretch of road (downhill, 6th gear, cruise control set ... effectively coasting, to eliminate as much engine noise as possible), at the same time of day, on my way home from work.

Michelin PS4AS
Honda Civic 10th gen Looking for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 feedback 20210305_112153

Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season
Honda Civic 10th gen Looking for Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 feedback 20210305_112211

Last edited:
OP
OP
StellarType_R

StellarType_R

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello!

I have a Sport 6MT, so not quite a Type R, but I am so far in love with my Pilot AS4 tires. They really do grip in dry conditions, I can only get them to chirp above 40 when I slam shift, which even my Pirelli summer tires would do. The wet traction is pretty good as well, and snow was passable surprisingly. I have about 10k miles on the tires already, and I love they confidence and progressive break-free of them. Road noise is acceptable, with moderate tread noise at 70+ on Kentucky / Ohio highways. They have saved me from more than a few slides when Ive cooked turns too. Overall, for a 540 treadwear All-Season, they perform like a low-mid range summer tire. I would not hesitate to buy them again.
Thank you, very helpful!
Sponsored