?! Continental SportContact 6 > Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?

DPE

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
In sheer dry grip, the Continentals are hard to beat for a tire that's not considered an R-comp or 'tweener' tire (like the RE-71R, RT615K+, etc.). Other than that, IMO, the tires aren't great. Sidewalls are too soft, they won't take any abuse without chunking, I felt like for a 30-series tire they are NOT terribly direct, and overall I felt like the Pilot Super Sport (that I admittedly had on a different car) was a superior tire other than outright grip. Where it was very close. And the PSS is the prior generation of the PS4S. Wet grip matters, but I don't hammer on my cars in the wet so as long as the tire doesn't totally fall apart I can't really judge that.

Also seems that test was done in Germany by Germans. Continental is a German company. Michelin is French. There's some history between those two countries. I'm just sayin'.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Well, the Contis are 240 treadwear and the Michelins are 300 treadwear, so that is to be expected. The SportContact 6 is between the PS4S and the PSC2, so it would have been interesting to see it compared to both of those tires.

The main reason I would take the PS4S is that the Michelins will last 3x as long (with a treadwear warranty) and have better wet performance. Oh, and they won't chunk after 30 minutes of track driving, as my Contis did.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Well, the Contis are 240 treadwear and the Michelins are 300 treadwear, so that is to be expected. The SportContact 6 is between the PS4S and the PSC2, so it would have been interesting to see it compared to both of those tires.

The main reason I would take the PS4S is that the Michelins will last 3x as long (with a treadwear warranty) and have better wet performance. Oh, and they won't chunk after 30 minutes of track driving, as my Contis did.
You really can't compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers. Though your statement still holds true that the Michi's will last much longer than the Conti's.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
You really can't compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers. Though your statement still holds true that the Michi's will last much longer than the Conti's.
True, but other than the cheater 200TW tires, it's a pretty decent general guide to treadwear life.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the 20" Conti's that came on my CTR, but thinking of the PS4S as the next set. Had them on my SI before I traded it for the CTR and loved them. This a daily, so that probably favors the Michelins. Am I right to think the PS4S will protect the rims more than the Continental Extreme Contact 6's? Cup 2's meanwhile rule for track times - Honda set the Ring record on those- but again this is a daily.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Conti's get a bad rep because their life sucks. but yes, their overall dry grip and handling is better than the PS4S. PS4S is recommended because it has a good blend of durability and grip.

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Pilot-Sport-4-VS-Asymmetric-5-VS-Premium-Contact-6.htm

They'd probably shine more in RWD or AWD applications.
Thank you. However, the review was on the Pilot Sport 4, not the Pilot Sport 4S. The Continental reviewed was the Premium Contact, not the Extreme Contact 6. And it was based on 18" tires - not the 20's I run on my Type R. Still good info if the overall tire character is similar. The Continentals on my Type R perform very satisfactorily. Just thinking if another option still performs just as well and also protects the rims it might be worth switching.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Thank you. However, the review was on the Pilot Sport 4, not the Pilot Sport 4S. The Continental reviewed was the Premium Contact, not the Extreme Contact 6. And it was based on 18" tires - not the 20's I run on my Type R. Still good info if the overall tire character is similar. The Continentals on my Type R perform very satisfactorily. Just thinking if another option still performs just as well and also protects the rims it might be worth switching.
d'oh misread it lol.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
i just installed PS4S on my car in 255/35/19 size. the stock Conti's are definitely superior when fresh, but that only lasted about 2k miles and the performance deteriorated rapidly from there. the PS4S still have really good grip and if they last 20k+ miles i'll be super happy with that.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i just installed PS4S on my car in 255/35/19 size. the stock Conti's are definitely superior when fresh, but that only lasted about 2k miles and the performance deteriorated rapidly from there. the PS4S still have really good grip and if they last 20k+ miles i'll be super happy with that.
Thank you, good to know. So you switched your stock wheels for smaller 19's? I don't want to give up the handling I bought the CTR for in the first place, but just dropping to 19 vs. all the way down to 18's sounds like it might work. Your feedback appreciated.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not surprised about the wet grip though. Conti had been really good with their Max Performance in the wet. Extreme Contact Sport was fantastic in the wet.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Thank you, good to know. So you switched your stock wheels for smaller 19's? I don't want to give up the handling I bought the CTR for in the first place, but just dropping to 19 vs. all the way down to 18's sounds like it might work. Your feedback appreciated.
yes i did. i had the same exact concerns as you, and after much deliberation (months) i decided to go for the 19x9.5 +38 SSR wheels. the car definitely feels different now. the turn in is not as razor sharp which i expected. the handling is still amazing, but it just feels different. there is also a tiny bit of detectable torque steer now (also expected with the +38 offest). but the improvement in ride quality and comfort cannot be understated. i no longer fear hitting bumps on the interstate or potholes which is huge. i also love the look of these wheels and the car has a much more aggressive stance now. i hated the tucked look of the OEM setup. i considered going with 255/30/20 PS4S with the stock wheels to gain a bit more sidewall, but decided that wasn't enough protection for a daily driver.

Honda Civic 10th gen ?! Continental SportContact 6 > Michelin Pilot Sport 4S? 20200608_183843

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting review here. The FK8 Type R was the car tested with various tires. In wet traction, the Continentals win... in dry, just about even with Michelin. What do you think?

https://tiresvote.com/articles/sport-auto-2019-r20-uhp-summer-tire-test/
Based on this article my OEM Continentals are best, and a rational choice by Honda for the CTR. Except the article does not address the level of rim protection or resistance to chunking, or overall fragility of the tires. Given that is an issue with this tire profile, especially on the Type R, it would have been illuminating. What good is a great performing tire that is too easily destroyed and takes the rim with it? I have tire/rim insurance, but that still is not as good as having tires that can take a moderate pothole.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yes i did. i had the same exact concerns as you, and after much deliberation (months) i decided to go for the 19x9.5 +38 SSR wheels. the car definitely feels different now. the turn in is not as razor sharp which i expected. the handling is still amazing, but it just feels different. there is also a tiny bit of detectable torque steer now (also expected with the +38 offest). but the improvement in ride quality and comfort cannot be understated. i no longer fear hitting bumps on the interstate or potholes which is huge. i also love the look of these wheels and the car has a much more aggressive stance now. i hated the tucked look of the OEM setup. i considered going with 255/30/20 PS4S with the stock wheels to gain a bit more sidewall, but decided that wasn't enough protection for a daily driver.

20200608_183843.jpg
Thank you, they look great, no worries there. Not sure I can accept torque steer and less sharp handling. I guess tires, like cars, involve compromises and tradeoffs. But I traded my SI with its beloved PS4S upgrade for a Type R to experience that razor sharp handling. Now I know what the tradeoffs will be. Much appreciated.