Votes: 28 34.6%

• Total voters

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I prefer cloth because it holds up better to spills and leather is too slippery. The cloth seats in my Acura RSX look like new after 14 years and 177kmi. However, I sat in a 2016 Civic EX and didn't care for the cloth seats. The cloth seemed very thin and flimsy--almost like speaker-grill fabric for home speakers.
Sponsored

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
Feel aside (since I haven't sat in both yet), the two tone striping looks so much more premium on the leather than cloth. Looks a little drawn in on the cloth seats.

That said they are BOTH light years ahead of the 2015 and older Civics.

Honda Civic 10th gen Leather vs Fabric interior 2016-honda-civic-lx-interior

Honda Civic 10th gen Leather vs Fabric interior 2016-honda-civic-touring-interior-view

OP
OP

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's an awesome comparison side by side shot! Thanks for sharing. You're right the leather does look better.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I can see that the new seat fabric is a lot like the fabric used in my wife's Saabaru and my Nissan Titan. It gets water stains REALLY easily! But as far as durability goes, both vehicles are about 10 years old and it seems very durable. I prefer the older style cloth like what's in my Prelude.

Perforated leather is a PITA to keep clean. I am kinda leaning towards preferring the cloth... but neither material has me too happy.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Perforated leather is a PITA to keep clean. I am kinda leaning towards preferring the cloth... but neither material has me too happy.
Oh god, perforated leather is the worst. Every car I have had personal experience with that had perforated leather had tears in it, the little dots make a perfect tearing line so one it starts its like tearing down perforated paper. I'd have considered the leather due to looks but seeing that scares me off of it. Cloth for me!

As a note, my new HR-V has some very odd cheap feeling cloth in the door panels that I was sure was horrible quality when we purchased it. Grey cloth that I though would get dirty easy too, but so far it is perfect almost 6 months in and still looks like new. It does feel cheap, but it must be somewhat better than I feared as I'm resting my arm on it all the time when driving the wifes car and it shows nothing.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Honda Civic 10th gen Leather vs Fabric interior perforated-seat-repair1-honda-pilot

Honda Pilot seat. This is my fear with leather, but boy do I love it when new!

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Ug. I too mentioned the problem with perforated leather previously. Why do they use it?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I had one car with perforated seats. No tears, but you can NOT use the usual leather conditioning products, the perfs fill up with dried product. Looks great on the showroom floor, but a nightmare to upkeep.

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
Ug. I too mentioned the problem with perforated leather previously. Why do they use it?
They are necessary if you want cooled seats. The perforation is also supposedly more breathable, although I think that is more about the quality of the leather. IMO they look better too but definitely not worth the hassle if it ends up ripping and damages easily^

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
New Touring (with leather) owner here, new to leather so I can't comment on lifespan. I had the interior treatment done which gives me a ten year warranty on the leather. The seats do feel a little slippery but I don't slide around at all when driving. I do feel that they are warmer than my older Civic with cloth seats and I keep the heat off. I'll look into regular cleaning and retreating it to prevent it drying out.

OP
OP

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
ten year warranty on leather? that sounds like a wise investment. mind sharing the details on pricing and such? was it from your dealer or a 3rd party?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Always make sure you read the fine print on such a warranty. I am willing to bet it goes something like: "normal wear and tear is not covered" "damage is not covered"

Even if the wording seems OK, be sure you read that they don't leave room for their kind of interpretation or definition of coverage.

Nothing, except maybe sheepskins, will save cheap leather

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
ten year warranty on leather? that sounds like a wise investment. mind sharing the details on pricing and such? was it from your dealer or a 3rd party?
http://www.finalcoat.com/installed_products.html scroll down to see interior coverage.

Applied by the dealer. Exterior and interior was $499 CDN

I didn't get it for the warranty, it's just a bonus. I had this done on my 2006 Civic and it still looks great after a good wash. Winter up here sucks and I drive 130 km each weekday for work on salt and sand covered snowy highways so every bit of protection helps.

Last edited:

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
The Civic seat fabric and all fabric in the car is extremely generic and low quality. The only solution is the Leather, which itself didn't look too good in person either.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Comfort, easier to clean though harder to maintain but also looks better.

Leather.
Sponsored