Leather vs Cloth - Mid year Impressions

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I apologize as I'm SURE this has been discussed, but I'm not really finding lots of opinions.

Working my way up and down the whole what-model-do-I-want-vs-need thing. I thought I was settled on an EX-T w/ Sensing, but now after seeing that it looks like $1,200-$1,500 for an EX-L vs EX-T (although Sensing is another matter) and wondering the value of that.

Now that you guys have owned and/or spent a lot of time checking out both sides, what is the verdict? Is Leather a lot better? I know we won't know long term durability for some time, but certainly you guys probably have a good idea of which is better and/or a better deal.

What about the "8 way adjustments"? Is that potentially "worth it" right there?

Then, of course, since I MUST have Sensing I start thinking about the Touring... but man, that is A LOT more than, say, the EX w/ Sensing.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I've never had leather seats in a vehicle until this Touring, only fabric and a few vinyl (hot). I've had the Touring for 12,000 miles so far and I love the feel of the leather but have not had GA style heat yet. I like leather so much that I recently upgraded my La-Z-Boy recliner to a leather one. If I can afford it I'll stick with leather in future vehicles.

DX2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sorry but the cloth feels cheap to me. Especially the material on the arm rest.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
I got the EX-T last week thinking it was the best value Civic in the lineup. This is my work car after all. I also have a 2015 Optima SXL but I kinda wish I got the leather for a few reasons, one of them being because of the armrests on the doors and center console. When I test drove the car I had on long sleeves and a light jacket so I didn't really feel the material on my elbows until this week. I'm in the car a lot for work and have began noticing how uncomfortable they actually are. I would almost guarantee that in the EX-L models and up those parts are just vinyl and not leather. I wonder why they just didn't use that material for those areas? Vinyl and cloth have to be about the same price nowadays.

thepixelsedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I Agree that the armrest cloth is a little on the rough side on warm days and long drives but I still prefer it over the hard plastic that I'm used to in past vehicles.

However, I wish they had done something differently with the area directly beside where your cup holder is... I dunno how many times I've made a turn and whatever I'm drinking splashes a bit onto the fabric right beside it. I'm thankful that at least it's black and u can't really notice anything.

FC1rob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring & 97 Civic Coupe Turbo
Maybe it's just me but the leather in my Touring is way more supple and softer then the leather in my 07 530i. Calling either REAL leather is a stretch but Honda surprised me with these seats!

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
I've always liked leather seats (my girlfriend doesn't), I think the seats in the coupe touring are pretty damn good. Are there cars with a higher quality leather seat? Of course. But I've been in cars with much worse leather. I like these seats.

finneylp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, 2016
Country flag
I got the EX-T with sensing and I'm very happy with it. I hear what others say about leather- and it may be nice.

I'm mostly chiming in to recommend the Honda Sensing package. I think it was an extra $1,000 and, aside from the obvious improvement in safety, it is just a step below self driving at this point. I commute 60 miles on the highway every day, and the lane keeper assist + adaptive cruse control the best.

max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex 1.5t cvt
Country flag
i always choose a NON-leather interior but it's not a deal breaker for me. if the only car i want has leather i will buy it. but i prefer a fabric over leather, the way i drive i find myself sliding all the time from left to right whenever i make a turn. and fabric just seem to make my body stick more to the seat. but then again not everyone drives as fast as me lol..

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i always choose a NON-leather interior but it's not a deal breaker for me. if the only car i want has leather i will buy it. but i prefer a fabric over leather, the way i drive i find myself sliding all the time from left to right whenever i make a turn. and fabric just seem to make my body stick more to the seat. but then again not everyone drives as fast as me lol..
FWIW, I don't slide around on these seats.

And I make running through the mountain twisties a weekly event.

max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex 1.5t cvt
Country flag
FWIW, I don't slide around on these seats.

And I make running through the mountain twisties a weekly event.
you obviously do not drive as hard as i do. i bet you still have the small rubber side knobs on your tires. mine are totally gone already.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Yeah, I find the Touring leather to not be very slippery. The fact that it's perforated probably helps. I have been in cars with really slippery leather and I hate that feeling.

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
I would have liked to see the EX-T have a combo of perforated micro suede and vinyl seating. We all know 60%+ of leather seats are vinyl anyways.....something similar to the seats in a TSX Special Edition would have been cool.

My2016Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing - Modern Steel Metallic / Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For those that didn't opt for the Leather seats, etc and regret it only because of the arm rests, there is a solution that I considered myself.

You can go to the below site (or any other similar parts store), put in either the 2016 Civic EX-L or Touring and do a search for "armrest". You can easily find the 'leather' ones and replace them.

http://hondapartsnetwork.com/
Sponsored