sleepingawake

First Name
Sleeping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
I have K&N drop in air filter. When wanted to see if cleaning is necessary, i saw bugs, bees inside side of the filter. Is this normal? How can they get in?

Should i go back to original air filter?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have K&N drop in air filter. When wanted to see if cleaning is necessary, i saw bugs, bees inside side of the filter.

How can they get in?
Crawling... flying...

They probably were looking for yummy K&N oil. :cool:

OP
OP
sleepingawake

sleepingawake

First Name
Sleeping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
Crawling... flying...

They probably were looking for yummy K&N oil. :cool:
Well, shouldn't filter be avoiding them? Upper side is ok, but how do they pass the filter. Are they elastic? :)
Those will damage my engine i think, so using original filter is better?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying they're on the underside of the filter? I mean that's where debris and stuff will be.

Last edited:

OP
OP
sleepingawake

sleepingawake

First Name
Sleeping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
Aren't you saying they're on the underside of the filter? I mean that's where debris and stuff will be.
Yes. They had to be on the upside of the filter? If it goes underside, wont they reach the engine and pistons?

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Do you have a SRI (round cone shaped) our just an OEM square one? If it’s the square one and the bees are on top, the filter is working by stopping the bees. The top of the filter is the dirty side.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
For the OEM intake box, I coulda sworn the top side is the engine side. This way debris and water and what-not falls to the bottom of the duct instead of being sucked directly into the filter. Hence if there’s crap on the underside, should be fine.

Open your airbox and follow the passages. It should be pretty obvious which side is which.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For the OEM intake box, I coulda sworn the top side is the engine side. This way debris and water and what-not falls to the bottom of the duct instead of being sucked directly into the filter. Hence if there’s crap on the underside, should be fine.

Open your airbox and follow the passages. It should be pretty obvious which side is which.
I thought the same and mentioned it to the OP.

OP
OP
sleepingawake

sleepingawake

First Name
Sleeping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic RS
Country flag
Do you have a SRI (round cone shaped) our just an OEM square one? If it’s the square one and the bees are on top, the filter is working by stopping the bees. The top of the filter is the dirty side.
Mine is drop in filter.
That's what i'm saying, bees and flies are on both underside and upside, not just top. I'm pretty sure i assembled correctly.

@casper @gtman

Honda Civic 10th gen K&N Air Filter has bugs, internal side! polaris-slingshot-knn-high-flow-air-filter-upgrade-installed-main

Last edited:

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Ok. If the bugs are on top of the filter in the photo you posted, that is normal. If they are underneath the filter once you remove it from as pictured then obviously they got there by bypassing the filter. How did they do that? Are there gaps between the filter and its housing? Is there a hole beneath the filter in the housing. Did the bugs fall in there while removing the filter? From the cover? Bottom line, clean it up, if you can’t find how the bugs got by the filter they probably didn’t. They came from somewhere. And Relax, a Honda engine can easily digest bugs, they are fuel after all, they burn. But seriously, the enemy is airborne abrasive particulates, so make sure air is not bypassing the filter. Surely you can see a hole big enough for bees to crawl through.

and they do like K&N filter honey (oil). So do mayflies, grasshoppers, mosquitoes, moths, knats, sawdust, cottonwood stuff, flower petals, pollen, road dust, mud, pine needles, feathers, glitter, etc. that’s their job.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Your drop-in filter will have dirt and debris (and even bugs) mostly trapped in the underside of the filter. At least that's what I've noticed on all the cars with a stock airbox and drop-in panel filter setup. Seems normal to me.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
But bottom line, it’s not the K&N filter letting them in. So unless the filter is the wrong size and doesn’t fit, it’s not the problem.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Your drop-in filter will have dirt and debris (and even bugs) mostly trapped in the underside of the filter. At least that's what I've noticed on all the cars with a stock airbox and drop-in panel filter setup. Seems normal to me.
Depends, I’m assuming the filter in the photo is down flow, meaning the photo is the intake side, which all my Hondas are. Bottom line no way bugs go through the filter unless they bypass it. Bugs should always be on the intake side. My guess is he dropped some in there on install and they stuck to the oil in turbulent flow.

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
You can’t have bugs on both sides of the filter which is what he is implying unless they had an orgy drunk on K&N oil while doing witchcraft stuff.
Sponsored