Oil on engine air filter?

Calween

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic ext
Hey all, I can't really find any answers on the web or throughout this forum (from my quick searches that is). The story is I went to the dealer to get my oil change on my Civic. And the tech came out with my engine air filter and told me it was dirty and needed to be replaced and wanted $120 to do it. I said eff that, and went straight to the parts desk to buy a Honda OEM filter for $20.

Went home and opened up the intake to take the dirty filter out that the tech put back in and opened the packaging on the new filter and noticed that there was a thin layer of oil on it. It was on the top around the rubber seal and when i would lightly dab my finger on the paper I noticed that there was oil on that too. Now it isn't a lot by any means but just wondering if this is normal? I know it can't be a blow by issue as the new filter hasn't been installed yet and the old filter was dry as a bone. Just thought I would ask and see if anyone else noticed it? or should I be bringing the filter back to the dealer and getting a new one?

Just and FYI, it is the 1.5L turbo engine.

Thanks!
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
It was wet inside the package when I got mine.