Is it my imagination?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Went from a 2016 EX-L Coupe to a 2019 Touring Coupe, had it about a month, now at 1500 miles. I don't know (Obviously can't make a direct comparison) but the 19 seems significantly quieter, less engine noise, road noise, less wind noise. Did Honda add more insulation or make some changes with sound deadening?. Any other Touring owners noticing this? Or are all trim levels quieter?

Another question, I realize that the tire size on the 19's is significantly larger than the 18's, however, mileage in mixed driving averaged 37-39 with my EX-L, the Touring is pretty solidly averaging about 33. I know it's in the 30's temperature-wise, but I'm really thinking the extra tire drag is causing the lower mileage. On some brief 20-30 mi straight highway trips the "current drive" screen will go to 39-42 easily, but the overall average remains at 33-34. Using Shell (TopTier) 87 octane exclusively. Just interested in others experiences in these two subjects. I know the car needs more miles to get broken in properly and warmer weather will also help, but there is such a difference both in quietness and mileage, it's pretty noticeable. Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I've seen other members mention something about the '19s coming with extra sound insulation but as with many things on this forum, that may or may not have been true.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
look over the 2019 weight specs and compare to the earlier ones to see if there’s a sound installation weight increase

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I've seen other members mention something about the '19s coming with extra sound insulation but as with many things on this forum, that may or may not have been true.
I think that if Honda had added ANY additional sound deadening to the 2019, it would be touted all over their 2019 car improvement specs.

You only have to look at the "BIG DEAL" they made of "Updating the Infotainment Center", when all they did was add a volume control knob !!! :rofl:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
look over the 2019 weight specs and compare to the earlier ones to see if there’s a sound installation weight increase
What make you think that any weight in crease is due to additional sound deadening,

If there is any weight increase, it's most likely due to the addition of the Volume Control Knob :rofl:

(or maybe different standard wheel size) ??

In any case, who cares about a little Road Noise when you have updated your Sub-Woofer Amp to a 2000 Watt unit...

Road Noise is then the least of your problems !!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

:dunno: What road noise?, I don't hear any road noise anymore !!! :doh:

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I think that if Honda had added ANY additional sound deadening to the 2019, it would be touted all over their 2019 car improvement specs.
I decided to hit up the ol' google machine and found this at the top of the results...

"Changes to the cabin include redesigned steering-wheel controls, a center console cupholder that's better for large drinks, new dashboard trim and extra sound-deadening material. "
https://www.cars.com/articles/which...uy-lx-sport-ex-ex-l-or-touring-1420754543264/

You only have to look at the "BIG DEAL" they made of "Updating the Infotainment Center", when all they did was add a volume control knob !!! :rofl:
Gonna have to agree with you on that one... Honda even mentions something about updating the buttons on the streering wheel when from what I've seen all they did was move the cruise control to the left. Go figure.

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I decided to hit up the ol' google machine and found this at the top of the results...

"Changes to the cabin include redesigned steering-wheel controls, a center console cupholder that's better for large drinks, new dashboard trim and extra sound-deadening material. "
https://www.cars.com/articles/which...uy-lx-sport-ex-ex-l-or-touring-1420754543264/

Gonna have to agree with you on that one... Honda even mentions something about updating the buttons on the streering wheel when from what I've seen all they did was move the cruise control to the left. Go figure.
It's interesting, between the new EX and the Touring, (coupes) the curb weights are almost identical. Assuming ( dangerous, I know) the body shapes are at least almost identical, the only thing that is really different is the tire size, engine/transmission/final drive ratio are all the same. Gotta be the tire size that's causing the mileage difference. Thanks for the link to the "improvements" the additional quietness is nice. Surprisingly, I seldom use the new volume knob, have gotten so use to the steering wheel controls I kinda forget about it, although It is convenient for my wife to use from the passenger seat. Also appreciate that the steering wheel volume control lost that "swipe" feature, now just an up/down rocker, simpler, easier to use. Really wish they'd stayed with the 17" wheels, the 215/50/17 tires were less expensive and enabled better mileage. Do like the looks with the 18's though, and cornering is really impressive.
Thanks for the input, hopefully some 19 Touring owners will chime in with some mileage comparisons.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I was looking online at a 19' Civic EX sedan. Noticed it has power seats, at least on the drivers side. My 17' EX-T has manual adjustable seats. Anyone else notice this?
Honda Civic 10th gen Is it my imagination? 6cca6626a88fe484f178dab980824e77

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was looking online at a 19' Civic EX sedan. Noticed it has power seats, at least on the drivers side. My 17' EX-T has manual adjustable seats. Anyone else notice this?
6cca6626a88fe484f178dab980824e77.jpg
I was a bit surprised when I found the Touring Coupe didn't have power seats like the sedan, but makes sense, would make rear seat access problematic, bought one anyway. I do wish Honda would start offering adjustable lumbar support.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I was a bit surprised when I found the Touring Coupe didn't have power seats like the sedan, but makes sense, would make rear seat access problematic, bought one anyway. I do wish Honda would start offering adjustable lumbar support.
You're not missing much, When I test drove a 18' Accord & CRV the lumbar support was mediocre. If it protruded out more I'd like it. My mother's 03' Mercury Grand Marquis puts Honda's seats to shame, the lumbar support will almost push you off the seat if you hold it down.

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're not missing much, When I test drove a 18' Accord & CRV the lumbar support was mediocre. If it protruded out more I'd like it. My mother's 03' Mercury Grand Marquis puts Honda's seats to shame, the lumbar support will almost push you off the seat if you hold it down.
Have recently driven Accords, Sport, EX & EX-L, the Sport seats were the worst, I could live with the EX-L, but it was a fully adjustable power seat, found the seats in my Civic Touring a relief after the Sport. Nicest, most comfortable seats I've experienced in a Honda were in my 2002 Accord EX Coupe.

avantegarde

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Coupe Sport MT, Tonic Yellow
Country flag
Went from a 2016 EX-L Coupe to a 2019 Touring Coupe, had it about a month, now at 1500 miles. I don't know (Obviously can't make a direct comparison) but the 19 seems significantly quieter, less engine noise, road noise, less wind noise. Did Honda add more insulation or make some changes with sound deadening?. Any other Touring owners noticing this? Or are all trim levels quieter?
Insulation and body sealing were indeed improved: https://www.hondainfocenter.com/Civic-Family/2019-Civic-Coupe/Overview/Whats-New

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had a '16 EX-T and now have '19 EX hatch. I've definitely noticed lower noise levels. Not that the sedan was overly noisy but the hatch - which I've read had louder road noise, etc. - has been supremely quiet on practically every road surface from highways to streets.

Edd

First Name
Edd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
FWIW...
I test drove a couple of EX-Ts and then opted to go with the '19. It is quieter than the 2018 EX-Ts I drove.

This excerpt was included in American Honda''s (Torrence, CA) 2019 model bulletin published on September 24, 2018:

"All Civic Sedans and Coupes also benefit from additional sound insulation in the floor, trunk, and front fenders, with new sound insulation in the rear fenders."

One of several reasons I paid a few more bucks and chose the '19.