First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Traffic light turns green, I shift to first, my car gets going and the car behind me signals because I'm moving too slow at take off...

This is what I've experienced most of the time driving and I'm wondering if I'm just not giving the car enough gas to accelerate.

Can anyone else relate?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Traffic light turns green, I shift to first, my car gets going and the car behind me signals because I'm moving too slow at take off...

This is what I've experienced most of the time driving and I'm wondering if I'm just not giving the car enough gas to accelerate.

Can anyone else relate?
Honestly... not really. You've got a light car with a decently powerful engine. A smidge of lag or no from the turbo... you shouldn't be too slow for traffic.

Maybe give it a little more gas as you come off the clutch... you may be bogging/near stalling the engine. Not to insult you if you're a manual guy... I've got an Si and while there's a little more power, you'd actually make more power immediately due to a turbo that's spool faster and make torque rise earlier.

My vote is either there's something wrong with your car... or your taking off so gentle as to bog the engine down to nothing. I'd experiment with a higher RPM upon releasing the clutch. Not drag-strip-launch or anything... just bump it up a little bit more and get into the throttle a little deeper once you're off the clutch.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag

Can anyone else relate?
Some people are just impatient assholes.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel this way in my Type R too. I don’t think it’s the car. I think it’s just me not accelerating properly. It’s the first to second gear shift that throws a wrench in my quick acceleration plans usually.

OP
OP
LMFK7

LMFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly... not really. You've got a light car with a decently powerful engine. A smidge of lag or no from the turbo... you shouldn't be too slow for traffic.

Maybe give it a little more gas as you come off the clutch... you may be bogging/near stalling the engine. Not to insult you if you're a manual guy... I've got an Si and while there's a little more power, you'd actually make more power immediately due to a turbo that's spool faster and make torque rise earlier.

My vote is either there's something wrong with your car... or your taking off so gentle as to bog the engine down to nothing. I'd experiment with a higher RPM upon releasing the clutch. Not drag-strip-launch or anything... just bump it up a little bit more and get into the throttle a little deeper once you're off the clutch.

Yes! my car does bog when i do accelerate sometimes. So it is me that's causing this car to take off slow. I'll put in more gas and release the clutch a lot quicker. Can't wait to get off of work and try this out!

thanks guys!

OP
OP
LMFK7

LMFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel this way in my Type R too. I don’t think it’s the car. I think it’s just me not accelerating properly. It’s the first to second gear shift that throws a wrench in my quick acceleration plans usually.

I guess I'm just being too careful on this car since its my first ever new car that I ever had. I know it sounds corny but man, this car makes me feel like I'm 25 again!

OP
OP
LMFK7

LMFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's half the problem.. I'd recommend trying to be in first by the time the light turns green. This isn't always possible, but the quicker you leave the light the better.

Honestly, it is probably your driving.
Yeah, I may be babying this car too much where I don't wanna give it some force. Won't be doing that anymore!

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Traffic light turns green, I shift to first...
Consider to shift to first while waiting for green light or about to turn green? This can save the shifting time off while the light is green.

Deleted member

That's half the problem.. I'd recommend trying to be in first by the time the light turns green. This isn't always possible, but the quicker you leave the light the better.

Honestly, it is probably your driving.
Any time the clutch pedal is pressed the clutch is being worn. If slow shifting is the problem he should just learn to shift a little quicker instead of sitting at a light with the car in first and the clutch to the floor. Either that or just make up for the slow shift time by accelerating a little more briskly once the car is in gear.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Take it from someone who owns a CVT 2.0L Civic, if my car is fast enough for traffic with that horrible drive by wire throttle combined with the CVT response, there is absolutely no way in hell that your hatch sport is having trouble keeping up. I agree with everyone saying that you're probably driving in such a way that the car bogs out off the line and Im not trying to be an asshole at all by saying that, just my take away based on what you said.
Sponsored