Infotainment software update?

tophuriouss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I have a 2016 Touring Civic and I am on 1.F186.69. They said there is no software update even though I mentioned the TSB 17-048 and it shows the software on that should be updated to 1.F190.25. They said they would not update it. Can anyone with the same vehicle and trim as me confirm if this is the latest update or not?
Sponsored

vikz99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX, 2015 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2015 Nissan 370Z Nismo
Country flag
so any Canadian civic users have any luck with the new TSB?

RosevilleSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
Would my 2017 type R be eligible for this software upgrade? HU says My16ada with version 1.F195.75

crimson-civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BNP 2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
Would my 2017 type R be eligible for this software upgrade? HU says My16ada with version 1.F195.75
The 2017 Type R is listed in the TSB, so yes, it's eligible...

Getting the dealership to do it without putting up a fuss on the other hand.... your mileage may vary. Some dealerships will do it without question if you show them the TSB, others will only do it if you can demonstrate an issue covered by the TSB in front of them.

In my case, I couldn't get the dealership to give me the appropriate TSB USB update for the 2017 Civic Sedan when I tried last year (and that's even after I showed them a printed copy of the TSB), so I was pretty sure they weren't going to give me the latest update if I asked, since that latest TSB listed it for hatchbacks only.

As far as I'm aware, these are the latest Infotainment (Touchscreen Headunit) TSB updates for each of the model year 10th Gen Civic's:

TSB: A17-048
Published Date: Jun 29th, 2017
Software Version: 1.F190.25
Applicable to: 2016 Civic Coupe/Sedan
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-048/enu/A17-048.PDF

TSB: 16-100
Published Date: Mar 18th, 2017
Software Version: 1.F194.30
Applicable to: 2017 Civic Coupe/Sedan
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A16-100/enu/A16-100.PDF

TSB: A18-001
Published Date: Feb 15, 2018
Software Version: 1.F197.00
Applicable to: 2017-2018 Civic Hatchbacks
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A18-001/enu/A18-001.PDF

Last edited:

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
The USB haven’t arrive yet. Hopefully next week.
My USB will get here Monday and I'll report back. However, from the recent posts here it looks like a newer update already came our to correct a phone book issue? Ugh, figures.

crimson-civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My USB will get here Monday and I'll report back. However, from the recent posts here it looks like a newer update already came our to correct a phone book issue? Ugh, figures.
If you're talking about the the TSB specific to the 2017 Coupe/Sedans, it wouldn't have helped you. From your previous post, you said you were already on 1.F194.30, which is the same version listed in the TSB that i linked. Going to 1.F197.00 would be your next logical move anyway, unless you're referring to a different update I'm not aware of.

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My USB drive got delivered this afternoon. I will try and see what happens. Hopefully 1.F197.00 will install on my 2017 EX-T sedan like the other poster here. What I find interesting is that the Honda dealer took down my vin number to make sure the part was compatible and they said it was. Finger crossed. I'll report back later this evening.

UPDATE: It worked! Updated fine. Not sure if it is a placebo effect or not but the sound does seem a bit better, a little more bass to me. Won't have much time to test other things out this evening but will have a chance tomorrow morning when I go to work.

Last edited:

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well...after some more testing I think it messed up Android Auto :( Everything works fine with the exception of any audio apps when using Android Auto. I tried 2 different phones and all have the same issue. Maps, Calls, messaging all work fine, when using Google Play music, Amazon Music or SiriusXM in Android Auto I get no sound and the apps just seem to lock up. Sounds works fine in phone calls and map directions. I cleared the cache on the AA app and the other audio apps on the phones. I also deleted all profiles on the Honda radio and nothing helped. I rebooted the radio several times and even tried a factory reset but the radio didn't do anything after I hit next- it never did a reset. Not sure what to do now. The radio did let me flash it, but I'm sure the dealer is not going to help me because I did something I should not have. Does anyone know if you can flash back to an older firmware? I figured maybe I can order the 1.F194.30 flash drive and put it back to how it was but I'm not sure the radio will allow that. Lesson learned I guess.

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another update: was able to finally get the radio to do a factory reset and it did not correct the problem. Tried 3 different Android phones and all 3 did the same when it came to any audio app working in Android Auto. My biggest concern is if the radio will let you downgrade to a lower firmware. I'm afraid if I get the firmware/software version I had on previously it won't let me do it because it's a lower number. Any techs know this? Ugh. I feel like an idiot for even doing this. I really rely on Google Maps and use AA with Google Play music a lot.

Last edited:

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Another update: was able to finally get the radio to do a factory reset and it did not correct the problem. Tried 3 different Android phones and all 3 did the same when it came to any audio app working in Android Auto. My biggest concern is if the radio will let you downgrade to a lower firmware. I'm afraid if I get the firmware/software version I had on previously it won't let me do it because it's a lower number. Any techs know this? Ugh. I feel like an idiot for even doing this. I really rely on Google Maps and use AA with Google Play music a lot.
Try factory resting the phone.

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Try factory resting the phone.
I used 3 different phones. 2 of the 3 were fresh factory resets- all 3 of them had the same issue. I suspect it's the head unit not the phones. I just hope the radio will let you downgrade firmware or I'm stuck.

crimson-civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't run into any of the issues you're having on the Carplay front. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an Android phone to try AA to see if I could duplicate your issue. I tried side-loading AA to a Samsung tablet I have, but that won't connect to my car at all (probably because it's not an actual phone).

That's really bizarre that it's only your music apps that don't work, but your Maps/Phone/Messaging audio work.
The closest related issue I could find on google, was someone with Spotify issues that resolved it after doing a factory reset on the phone, and not restoring their data to the phone because whatever Android auto issue occurred, was in a config file that persisted through the backup data.

As for the software downgrade, until someone tries it, we can't say for sure. I don't think even a Honda service tech would know until they've tried it since there have been so few USB updates for the Civic this generation.

In my experience, software downgrades typically are only blocked for critical security issues, and due to changes in licensing agreements. Even then, it's typically only implemented in customer accessible software updates. Since the TSBs are considered an internal tool, I would like to think that downgrades would be an option for regression troubleshooting.

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't run into any of the issues you're having on the Carplay front. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an Android phone to try AA to see if I could duplicate your issue. I tried side-loading AA to a Samsung tablet I have, but that won't connect to my car at all (probably because it's not an actual phone).

That's really bizarre that it's only your music apps that don't work, but your Maps/Phone/Messaging audio work.
The closest related issue I could find on google, was someone with Spotify issues that resolved it after doing a factory reset on the phone, and not restoring their data to the phone because whatever Android auto issue occurred, was in a config file that persisted through the backup data.

As for the software downgrade, until someone tries it, we can't say for sure. I don't think even a Honda service tech would know until they've tried it since there have been so few USB updates for the Civic this generation.

In my experience, software downgrades typically are only blocked for critical security issues, and due to changes in licensing agreements. Even then, it's typically only implemented in customer accessible software updates. Since the TSBs are considered an internal tool, I would like to think that downgrades would be an option for regression troubleshooting.
What concerns me is I put in the flash drive again and it said I already have the latest version and it would not let it flash again. I was going to try to do a reflash and see if it helps but couldn't. I am worried it does check the version and will only let you update to higher versions. I did go ahead and order the older firmware I had prior to this and we will see what happens. If not I am not sure how I approach the dealership about this. I am still under warranty.
Sponsored