Infotainment update possible?

khory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring, 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe SE Ultimate
The 2018 Odyssey comes with remote start via smartphone app and other new features. What is the possibility that these features could be implemented on a 2017 Civic?
Sponsored

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
I say quite likely, especially, that guys in India have had an app for some time now, that allows to do many interesting things with your car:

https://www.hondacarindia.com/areas/hondaconnect/

From what I understand, an additional piece of equipment needs to be installed by Honda on the car to allow for the phone-car connectivity features.

OP
OP
khory

khory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring, 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe SE Ultimate
I say quite likely, especially, that guys in India have had an app for some time now, that allows to do many interesting things with your car:

https://www.hondacarindia.com/areas/hondaconnect/

From what I understand, an additional piece of equipment needs to be installed by Honda on the car to allow for the phone-car connectivity features.
I don't see anything on there that we don't already have other than trip analysis which could be implemented with a smartphone app update.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I don't see anything on there that we don't already have other than trip analysis which could be implemented with a smartphone app update.
It would require a physical hardware addition.

Honda hasn't kept pace with other companies on the technology front and that isn't showing any real signs of changing.

There is no real monetary incentive to offer upgrades for cars that have already been sold.

Also keep in mind that across the board any company that I've seen that's offers that kind of remote start charge so annually for it.
Viper has an after market kit that is $90 a year I believe.

Hyundai charged about the same.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
Normally, cars with an app. that will let users turn things on, change AC settings, etc. have a 4G / LTE hot spot built in that also requires an annual subscription.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Normally, cars with an app. that will let users turn things on, change AC settings, etc. have a 4G / LTE hot spot built in that also requires an annual subscription.
Yeah going over the specs more it seems like what is offered in the Oddessey is what they were hoping to have together for the civic.

It does function as a mobile hotspot and can even download firmware updates over the air.

They'll need something to differentiate the 2018 Civic and that will be it.
The 16 and 17 are indentical essentially.

Ah well. I'd say we'd need to try and make enough noise to let them know we'd pay for an upgrade kit.

Last edited:

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
From the Honda Twitter.
Utterly useless.

"We recommend speaking to your local Honda dealership to determine if an upgrade is possible and discuss pricing. We hope this helps. ^WD"
Sponsored