Infotainment software update?

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
2016 EX-L. Mine would change screens when going over harsh bumps. Took it in and they updated. Problem remained. Took it in again and they said they found another update to do. Fixed it this time. Not sure if they did firmware one time and something else the other time, so I don't know which one fixed it.
Sponsored

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
I was under the 36K mile bumper to bumper warranty. After that, I don't know. I'd imagine there would be a charge, but not sure how they could justify it.

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Do they charge you for these fixes when you bring the car in?
I'm still under warranty and it's a free update. If you complain of one of the symptoms the update fixes, they should do it at no charge. If not, spend the $35 and do it yourself.

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I'm still under warranty and it's a free update. If you complain of one of the symptoms the update fixes, they should do it at no charge. If not, spend the $35 and do it yourself.
I am soon going to get the 18 EX-T. I am sure I will like the car better than my 2001 but I know the infotainment system is going to drive me crazy

dby2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
I ended up just ordering the darn part. Tired of fighting with my dealer. I'll report back when I get it.

spiezer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 Touring
Country flag
No problem.

You have the Touring so you're audio system will be different than mine, but have you noticed if the audio sounds a bit different to you? On my EX-T, the bass doesn't sound as flat as it used to.

Maybe they tweaked the EQ in the update? Or maybe the EQ curve in this update was intended for the hatchbacks specifically? Either way, I have no way to quantify it so could just be my imagination for all I know.

I use the song "Magia", by Kalafina as my reference track, if anyone's curious.
The bass sounds the same as it did when I updated my car at the dealership. So there definitely were some changes implemented between the original version I had on my car compared to the most recent one.

The bass definitely seems a bit more solid compared to when I first got the car.

The update is fantastic. Haven't had any issues with Carplay with the phone plugged in before starting up the car. I did notice that the temperature readings didn't display while I was driving if I was messing with the knob while during. This occurred after my first drive after the software update so it's probably no biggy.

I'm guessing that they changed the software so more resources are allocated to Carplay and possibly Android Auto functionality.

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
The bass sounds the same as it did when I updated my car at the dealership. So there definitely were some changes implemented between the original version I had on my car compared to the most recent one.

The bass definitely seems a bit more solid compared to when I first got the car.

The update is fantastic. Haven't had any issues with Carplay with the phone plugged in before starting up the car. I did notice that the temperature readings didn't display while I was driving if I was messing with the knob while during. This occurred after my first drive after the software update so it's probably no biggy.

I'm guessing that they changed the software so more resources are allocated to Carplay and possibly Android Auto functionality.
Has the issue gone away after the initial drive?

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I received my usb drive today and the update worked on my si, it does seem to have a smidge more bass all settings being equal, at least from what I can tell.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Hard to say. The only difference between the 2016 models and 2017, was the change in the side mirror design, and the addition of sirius-xm to the EX sedan trim, if I recall.

I would think the 1.F970.00 update would work, but there are some items that stick out, which would give me pause.

If you look at the TSB specifically for the 2016 model:
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-048/enu/A17-048.PDF

1. It mentions 2 different update methods depending on the software version, which means at some point Honda changed the software update process between versions 1.F8xx.xx and 1.F190.25.

2. So, one question you have to wonder is if it would even be possible to successfully run the update from 1.F8xx.xx directly to 1.F197.00? Or would you need to update from 1.F8xx.xx to 1.F190.25 first, before attempting to update to 1.F197.00?

3. Another oddity is that my 2017 EX-T sedan was purchased in November 2016 and had version 1.F191.56, But the TSB for '16 Civics dated June 2017 only updates the 2016 models to version 1.F190.25, which is still down-rev from what I started with. So I would have to wonder if there was a hardware change between 2016 and 2017 that would make it incompatible.

Cross-checking head-unit part numbers doesn't help, because the head units of each model year have different part numbers .

On the flip-side, I would think that the update would first do a hardware check to make sure the head unit was compatible before updating, because inevitably some Honda service tech is bound to accidentally plug an Accord USB updater into a Civic or vice-versa. So I think your biggest concern would probably be item 2 above.
i just bought the usb for 1.F197.00 update and my 16 ex-t running on 1.F183.52. will let everyone know if it work or not. ps: if it doesnt work, can i return the usb?

Last edited:

crimson-civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BNP 2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
i just bought the usb for 1.F190.25 update and my 16 ex-t running on 1.F183.52. will let everyone know if it work or not. ps: if it doesnt work, can i return the usb?
Probably not, since you would have had to open the package to get to the USB drive. Most places I imagine will only take back parts that are unopened.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I ended up just ordering the darn part. Tired of fighting with my dealer. I'll report back when I get it.
It would be hilarious if one of the things that happens at CivicX meetups is people sharing USB keys to get their software updated. ;)
Sponsored