ricklndn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I hope I got everyones attention! So, I own a 2020 honda civic sedan, should I be worried about my car being stolen?
Can my key fob be hacked?
How do you keep your car safe?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Any car can be stolen with or without a key. Might be wise to have full coverage in case it happens.

S2kx8

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic EX, 2001, 2005, 2008 S2000's, 2020 Si
Country flag
You can buy on Amazon a key fob "Faraday" pouch designed just for this purpose. Seeing none of my other Hondas are so filled with the electronic doo-dads and all have a conventional key? I bought one on sale for $6.95. It really works! I stood right next to the car with the fob in the pouch and the car would not unlock or open the trunk.

OP
OP
ricklndn

ricklndn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
You can buy on Amazon a key fob "Faraday" pouch designed just for this purpose. Seeing none of my other Hondas are so filled with the electronic doo-dads and all have a conventional key? I bought one on sale for $6.95. It really works! I stood right next to the car with the fob in the pouch and the car would not unlock or open the trunk.
Yes I have heard of this... but there are always questions when using something like this..
So if I want my door unlocked I would take the key out of the Faraday pouch, do I need to keep the key out of the pouch as I drive? Or can I put the key back I into the pouch after its running?

S2kx8

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic EX, 2001, 2005, 2008 S2000's, 2020 Si
Country flag
Yes I have heard of this... but there are always questions when using something like this..
So if I want my door unlocked I would take the key out of the Faraday pouch, do I need to keep the key out of the pouch as I drive? Or can I put the key back I into the pouch after its running?
The one I purchased comes with a spring clip attached so you can keep your other keys on the ring. I don't put the fob in the pouch except when its hanging on the hook near the door at home or in my pocket. I haven't tried to put it in the pouch while driving. The fact the car can't "talk" to the fob or signal to open the door, trunk or start the car is all I was concerned with. Think of it as a simple, inexpensive additional step in layered security.

snwmble

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 Porsche 911, 90 BMW 325iX, 21 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
I owned a 2001 Audi A4 back in the day and that thing was a straight target. Was stolen 2xs and broken into about 3 or 4. Only thing that worked was putting a kill switch....and an obnoxious yellow steel disc over the steering wheel.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I use the Mission Darkness Faraday Bag for Keyfobs ($10 on Amazon) when I'm outside my vehicle but nearby (if it's parked in my driveway, etc.). No need to use it when driving or when I want the car to see the fob. It's not complete protection, but it stops one of the easiest ways of stealing a modern vehicle.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
+1
I have one too but I only use it as a key storage when I am in the house. When I am in the office, I doubt that anyone will follow me there to spoof(?)/repeat all the way from the parking.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Wait, why should someone steal a Honda Civic?

Is that really a big problem in some areas of Canada and the United States? ?
This. And even in Canada, normal honda civic sedans are every where on the road... I really don't get Op's concern
Sponsored