LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I parked my car on the street and came out to this :( Looks like it was backed into by a truck. This is the 3rd insurance claim since I got the car in 2020, all not my fault.

I found the emblem wedged inside the bumper, think I'll keep it.

Honda Civic 10th gen I have the worst luck :( IMG-20220414-WA0012

Honda Civic 10th gen I have the worst luck :( IMG-20220414-WA0014

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
This is a really good idea and I'm going to look into it.
I think a dash cam is never a bad idea. It’s a major line of defense for covering your ass in the event of an incident.

However, I don’t know if it solves your problem of these incidents occurring in the first place.

There is something else I’d like to toss into the conversation though. That being risk assessment. Parking in the “less desirable” spots. Further or in the very back of the entrance to the building you are parking for, making sure you are giving adequate space for other vehicles to park next to you, etc… Of course, nothing is 100% safe.

Last edited:

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I think a dash cam is never a bad idea. It’s a major line of defense for covering your ass in the event of an incident.

However, I don’t know if it solves your problem of these incidents occurring in the first place.

There is something else I’d like to toss into the conversation though. That being risk assessment. Parking in the “less desirable” spots. Further or in the very back of the entrance to the building you are parking for, making sure you are giving adequate space for other vehicles to park next to you, etc… Of course, nothing is 100% safe.
The dashcam isn't so much as to prevent it, but so that who's responsible can be held liable for repairs. Not everyone has the option of parking in a garage. You either park on the street or have no car.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The dashcam isn't so much as to prevent it, but so that who's responsible can be held liable for repairs. Not everyone has the option of parking in a garage. You either park on the street or have no car.
I just feel that for somebody who cares about their car, having no other option than street parallel parking is the worst nightmare. Absolute dealbreaker for me if that was my only parking option for my job, or place of residence.

You cannot trust anybody in a vehicle. 99% of people don’t care about their car, or anyone else’s car they bump into.

OP
OP

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I don't usually park on the street. I parked there for an hour while I had lunch at my girlfriends, her parking pad was getting snow removal done, so I didn't have a choice. I was parked on the street for an hour :(

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Sorry to hear of the damage. Yeah. People aren’t always careful.

Perhaps there is some video footage from a Ring camera or something that can show what kind of truck it was and see if that truck shows up in that area again if maybe someone knows who it belongs to.

Otherwise if you can fix it yourself you can get a custom grill.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That really sucks. Sometimes you have to park where you don't want to.
The camera idea is a good one.
...or quickly attachable bumper protectors with huge horizontal metal spikes that will tear up any vehicles that run into it. And discourages other vehicles from getting too close...not saying that is legal or I have seen it, but fun idea. People may not care about your vehicle - but they somehow seem to care about theirs...

Okay, a bit extreme. But thought you could use a happy thought.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
Laws vary from place to place, but in Washington a dash cam will not be enough to criminally charge anyone with hit and run unless it clearly shows the face of the driver- which, given the viewing angle of your average dash cam, seems unlikely. This doesn't stop your insurance company from using the video to pursue a civil case against the vehicle owner, but I'm not sure how likely it is they would bother.

The main benefit could be discouraging your own insurance company from raising your rates, if they start to get suspicious of multiple claims.
Sponsored