Whats the worst fact a dealership has told you?

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
I feel like I'm the only one who had a decent salesmen who knew the car inside and out, got me what I wanted at a price I wanted with minimal negotiation and a finance manager who wen't over the hondacare extras but was not pushy and fine with it being declined and approved 0.9 percent. Total time at the dealership 1.5 hours including test drive. They even had starbucks coffee.

Now that said, when I bought my G6 boy oh boy was the dealer sleazy. RIP Pontiac haha.
Sponsored

mikeyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, '17 Civic Hatchbacks EX-L
I had quite the experience since I ended up having to purchase 2 vehicles within 3 months of each other. See my other post how my first EXL Hatch was totaled and replaced by a Sport Touring. Both times I worked with the same salesperson/sales manager combo.

On the EXL, I wasn't told too many things
that weren't accurate. However, when I got the Sport Touring, I asked if the trunk mat would fit from the first one. This happened prior to me picking it up. On delivery, they asked if I needed a trunk mat and I said the EXL one was recovered prior to the car being salvaged. Once I got home, I found out the EXL one does NOT fit due to the Sport models having an elevated trunk floor with the center exhausts. I drove back down to the dealership and had to convince them to switch it out since they said they would only if it hadn't been scratched and could be resold. Keep in mind, I was already offered one on pickup but declined since I didn't need two. Eventually we got right trunk mat for the Sport models and after testing it out, it doesn't fit!!

At this point I have the salesperson carrying a floormat back into the Parts counter where there was a disagreement on it being the right mat. The parts rep went back into the inventory and 10 minutes later, came back with a piece of paper, the installation instructions. I was then told that there is a piece of the trunk mat that needs to be cut off to fit the Sport Touring! This is because of the additional subwoofer that's in the trunk. So much confusion around that trunk mat that day. It was as if they were going to force people to pay the ~$20 installation fee for a floor mat!!!

All in all, I didn't pay for it and drove off with the correct mat.

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at the Jetta and comparing to the the Civic. The salesman told me Volkswagen has far superior resale value because Honda sells to a lot of fleet customers. It took everything in me not to laugh in his face. I mentioned it again in an email after I left the dealership, so I replied back and included a screenshot of the actual resale values according to ALG which showed the Honda held its value better than the Volkswagen hands down. He then had the audacity to tell me that's not legitimate and in the "real world" its the exact opposite.

Not related to my 10th gen, but when I bought my 2014 Si a few years ago, the salesman "included" wheel locks but asked that I pay for them with a separate check. They were like $120. I kindly explained I did not want them. He told me they're already on the car and cannot be removed. This is when I started getting angry lol. I told him to find someone to take them off or I'll walk out to the shop and do it myself. He literally said to me "So you want your wheels stolen??" I told him yes and that he better find someone to take off those wheel locks or I'm walking out. Later on, he tried to jack the interest rate way up. I was already approved for 1.9 and then right before we got to the finance office, he told me the rate. (I dont remember the exact number but it was somewhere around 3-5%) I had to talk to the general manager and once again threaten to walk out before they got it corrected. I will never set foot in that place again and Ive made that known on the plethora of follow-up calls Ive gotten about that purchase. He called me just a few weeks ago on my 3-year anniversary with that car. I told him I bought 3 cars since then and have no intentions of ever going back. He forgot this and called me 2 days after that asking how everything was going with my Civic Si. I just cannot fathom how a dealership can play these stupid games and still have people coming through the doors!
Sponsored