GoleeMD

First Name
Jim Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a 2017 FK8 that is essentially stock as far as engine and performance mods go. I plan on having fun and learning a lot upgrading it little-by-little, and one of the first things. I wanted to start with is a tuner that I can grow with to make the most out of each future upgrade.

I've heard conflicting opinions regarding Hondata FP and K-tuner, specifically for the FK8. K-tuner seems to be more versatile and easier to use, with the v2 not requiring a PC connection for certain common features, and is supposed to be the better tuner for people with the 1.5T engines and/or multiple vehicles... plus it's cheaper. Though I then read that Hondata FP might be superior and have more available features specifically for the FK8, despite some of the other disadvantages.

Which would you guys recommend specifically for a 2017 FK8 and why?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. And you can see that reflected in my tuning thread numbers. 90% of the time when a tuned Type R owner adds their car, they're using a Flashpro.

What's really telling is that many Type R owners had a tuned 1.5T before upgrading and most of those used KTuner for tuning. Yet when they tuned their FK8 they switched to Hondata's Flashpro.

/thread officially closed ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoleeMD

GoleeMD

First Name
Jim Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I had originally gathered when first looking into it, but what made me think about K-tuner and ask the question was checking out D-Rob's website (I wanted to see who it was I accidentally insulted in that other tuning thread yesterday).

I saw he had a Flash Pro trade in program for people who wanted to get rid of their Flash Pro and "trade up" to K-tuner, and all the customer testimonials on there were singing K-tuner's praises. When I saw it was actually cheaper and that v2 could be used for a lot of things without having to hook up to a PC, it made me wonder. I'm guessing most of those reviews were from 1.5T owners.

What do you guys think would be the best way to get ahold of a Flash Pro? Any downside to buying used, other than the the potential for scams or the hassle of somebody who is otherwise legit not unlocking it properly? I think I'll reach out to Derek and ask what he's doing with all those used Flash Pros he's getting traded in...

xXoVrKiLLXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R ABM
I picked mine up new from PRL's site a few years back. Personally I dont like the form factor of either - I think both are too big/bulky (I came from a FoST and STi background and really would rather a device form factor such as the Cobb Access port (live read out/datalogging/5 way map switching and way smaller) but thats just me). I'd go new - rather not run into the potential issue where the unit isnt unmarried from the previous owners ecu etc.. again just me.

Last edited:

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
The new hondata is now the size of a credit card basically.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
They basically just went from a larger corded version to a direct plug-in dongle.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I picked mine up new from PRL's site a few years back. Personally I dont like the form factor of either - I think both are too big/bulky (I came from a FoST and STi background and really would rather a device form factor such as the Cobb Access port (live read out/datalogging/5 way map switching and way smaller) but thats just me). I'd go new - rather not run into the potential issue where the unit isnt unmarried from the previous owners ecu etc.. again just me.
See the new Flashpro Mini;
Hondata Flashpro Mini - YouTube