OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
You've got a DI mated with a low friction set of rings for fuel economy. They'll try to get the car to warm up a little quicker to help it vaporize. They're not going to institute it on all vehicles. The few failures that may occur in low risk areas will be cheaper to fix than to update the fleet. The bean counters have already assessed this I'm sure... as this has been coming for over a year.

The Xterra, Frontier and Pathfinders for years had defects where their radiators would break down internally and allow coolant and ATF to mix, and the higher pressure coolant would go into the transmission and kill them. They raised the warranty on all 3 vehicles to repair all those that died. The 100% solution was to go to a new version of the radiator and to replace all the vehicles earlier ATF that was found to be a smidge more reactive to the newer formulation.

It was just cheaper to repair the hundreds to few thousands that died. The chances of your vehicle dying were still pretty low, though many if us just bypassed the ATF side of the radiator and sacrificed the warm up/cooling since we had external coolers anyway. The nice thing about our problem is, so long as you let the car warm up during your drive, most should be fine. Short trips never allowing a warm up could be a problem.

I think over half of all the cars I've owned had some annoying flaw that could kill the car or just be a PITA. Leaking injectors in my Z31s... TCC solenoids in the Cadillac's, junky Honda transmission, worthless Honda VCM that never measurably improved MPGs but could wear the engine badly (it's also defeated now...), soft valves on my first Z32. Defective brake light sockets that died monthly in that Cavalier. The list goes on. No car is perfect.
So basically its a screw up and typical corporate what's the absolute least we can do while we just wait for the cars that will die. All while letting people drive screwed up cars so we dont spend anything?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
All DI engines have oil dilution to an extent. The prudent thing to do (especially in cold weather) is run the engine long enough to reach normal operating temps. If you live somewhere where it gets below freezing, it's probably not a good idea to drive a few blocks and shut the engine off. :cool:

What the software update does is raise idle speed and change some A/C unit parameters to basically speed up the engine getting to normal operating temps. I get it that people are panicking over this, but, I don't think it's as catastrophic as people make it out to be. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All DI engines have oil dilution to an extent. The prudent thing to do (especially in cold weather) is run the engine long enough to reach normal operating temps. If you live somewhere where it gets below freezing, it's probably not a good idea to drive a few blocks and shut the engine off. :cool:

What the software update does is raise idle speed and change some A/C unit parameters to basically speed up the engine getting to normal operating temps. I get it that people are panicking over this, but, I don't think it's as catastrophic as people make it out to be. Just my two cents.
Dont cars in northern climates have those plug in engine warmers? I know my moms lacrosse has one!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
No engine expert here, but fuel wash through the rings is not a good thing. Tends to remove the oil film from the cylinder walls as gasoline is a solvent. Can start or accelerate cylinder scoring. My P-car has scored cylinders right now in part because of leaky fuel injectors/fuel wash! True totally different engine with numerous glaring design defects not found in the Honda engine. Another issue to me is the electronic oil change minder and how long it may say you can run the oil. Gasoline in the crankcase is not optimal either.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Is this not specifically for 1.5l engines? What's that have to do with the type r? Unrelated engine afaik.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So basically its a screw up and typical corporate what's the absolute least we can do while we just wait for the cars that will die. All while letting people drive screwed up cars so we dont spend anything?
Pretty much, yes. In yes, in the same way that dying of of random cancer kills a portion of the population. Pretty much ever car has a flaw. You do what preventatives you can... whether they're covered by the manufacturer or is something you do to reduce your own risk... and you go on with life and don't overly worry about it.

Hypochondriacs may worry about cancer growing inside of them just like hypochondriac car owners may worry about the thing that may kill their car... but probably won't, but to the point they don't enjoy it. Being aware and doing what you can is one thing... but I wouldn't go overboard with worry.

We vote with our dollars. If folks feel wronged by this, then they can choose not to buy another Honda. It doesn't mean that a large portion of all other available vehicles don't have issues. It's just the way it is. I didn't not buy the Civic because of the Odyssey's design issues. I got my TSB done, am very good about changing it's ATF and defeated VCM. That's what I can do for it's powertrain... and it's not new by any means. J-series engines are old news. Heck, they put DI on them in 2018 after being port injection for so long... went to a 10 speed and the somewhat disliked Acura 9 speed to try to get better economy. They're still stuck at the same 28 for highway economy the port injection 6 speeds had so... go figure.

Folks should definitely get the TSB done if offered and monitor their oil level, especially if you short trip it, not letting the engine warm up. If you see level rising you can go and request the update, even if they're not in a cold climate state.

DI and those rings are also part of the design to help extract the amount of power out of such a small displacement engine while achieving it's fuel economy. It wasn't a total bust.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Why is this posted on the Type R forums? Had me thinking the CTR's engine was having issues lol.

I will say though, my problem isn't the 1.5's issue, but rather how Honda is addressing it. There is a clear and well documented string of owners who are expericing the dilution al ovef the country and yet Honda started off the TSB with just a couple "cold" states then expanded it a bit more, but it still isn't comprehensive enough IMO. Also, i've heard and seen on the internet that Honda's response is "dont take short trips as frequently" or something along the lines of that. They certainly could have addressed the issue better is all im saying.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why is this posted on the Type R forums? Had me thinking the CTR's engine was having issues lol.

I will say though, my problem isn't the 1.5's issue, but rather how Honda is addressing it. There is a clear and well documented string of owners who are expericing the dilution al ovef the country and yet Honda started off the TSB with just a couple "cold" states then expanded it a bit more, but it still isn't comprehensive enough IMO. Also, i've heard and seen on the internet that Honda's response is "dont take short trips as frequently" or something along the lines of that. They certainly could have addressed the issue better is all im saying.
They may very well change their tune as they implement their changes and get some more data. As time goes on and if class actions keep rolling, we may all benefit by lengthened powertrain warranties... at least for the engines at no cost. This would negate for them the need to do a recall to correct a design issue that can be improved, but not fully corrected by what they're trying to accomplish with TSB. They said that was done in Canada... though it's only an extra measly year beyond what we get by default state-side. Will have to see what Honda USA does. I'd be surprised if they don't tack on more time. The Nissan radiator/transmission issues I'd brought up earlier made them to a 8 to 9 year prorate style warranty to fully, or partially cover repairs... though the mileage limits were pretty low (ending at 100k miles). At least no ones dying like from that airbag recall from a few years back. I'm not sure what Tesla's doing after another person got decapitated a week or so ago by autopilot putting them under the back of a semi... though that's a whole different conversation of whether the owner, the automaker... software manufacture, whatever, are at fault for a fatal accident.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Well originally I made a statement about the article leading into my question of if this might increase cars across Hondas line including the R as a way for them to recoup cost as the article said this was gonna cost Honda a ton. But like usual instead of discussing my question I asked people decided to pick apart the part of my post that I really wasn't addressing. so I got aggravated and removed the original question since no one wanted to talk about that. I did how ever ask it again twice in comment further down and both those times it was ignored as well. The reason I posted it her was originally related to my curiosity abut opinions if this would effect the prices of Rs. But if you have ever read any of my posts ( like them or not LOL) you will notice instead of discussing what I bring up people seem to love to tear apart my posts and go on for 5 pages about something I wasn't even asking. LOL . gotta love forums.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I brought it up as a talking point about if it would raise prices for the R and all honda cars because of honda wanting to recoup their costs. But none seemed intrested in talking about that. Like most my posts people never answer the question i ask instead focus on something else..
My bad. "No". I don't think Honda will raise their costs because of this specific issue. I can give too many examples of different automakers that have had substantial costs resulting in a loss... that this just doesn't seem that major. This will cost them some money... but in the whole scheme of things, they'll spend the minimal amount to fix the few cars that die, do the TSB as a preventative and soldier on.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My bad. "No". I don't think Honda will raise their costs because of this specific issue. I can give too many examples of different automakers that have had substantial costs resulting in a loss... that this just doesn't seem that major. This will cost them some money... but in the whole scheme of things, they'll spend the minimal amount to fix the few cars that die, do the TSB as a preventative and soldier on.
You are ok, im use to it in here lol.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I really do not see what all the fuss and confusion is about.

All DI engines suffer from OD
The rate of increase in % OD is worse in colder climates, or when the engine is slow to warm up to operating temperature.

So, to reduce the amount of ACCUMULATED Oil dilution, Honda is
(1) Modifying the A/C system so that the engine gets more of the Heat as the engine warms up, rather than letting it flow to the passenger Compartment.
(2) Altering the fuel injection, so that when starting and warming up, the fuel is not so rich.(less excess fuel to blow down past the piston rings into the oil)
(3) Increasing the Idle speed at warm up time, so engine warms up faster.

That's the FIX .. it should help, and for most people, keep the amount of OD under control.

The more important question and discussion should be.

(1) Do you want your Dealer messing about with updating hardware & software in your car, when most don't seem to have a clue what they are doing.

(2) Do you want the update, if it means you will be sitting and shivering in your car at the start of a cold morning's drive, while all the heat that your A/C would be supplying to you in the passenger compartment, is being used instead to heat up the engine oil.

(3) Do you want your idle speed to be forced high, just to warm up the oil.

If you drive medium to long distances, the hot engine will drive the fuel out of the oil, and it gets used (not wasted), and your % OD will remain low
If you only drive small distances, and your %OD rises, and cannot take an occassional long trip, then change the oil more often.

It helps in monitoring OD of the initial Oil level is set and know accurately .
Overfilling the oil at an oil change to some arbitrary level at or above the Max fill line, does not help with estimating how might OD is occurring.

Measuring oil level does rely on the DIp Stick, which is near to useless, especial when the oil in new/clear. A better dip stick would be a big advantage !!
Which crazy idiot at Honda designed a Dip Stick with a shiny orange (oil colored) plastic area for measuring the oil ???

I live in Maryland, which is not one of the States that is currently covered by the TSB or one where the TSB is recommended. (but it sure has been cold this winter !!)

I do not plan on talking my Car into a Maryland dealer, most of who will currently be totally ignorant of the TSB, and how to carry it out correctly.

I will monitor my oil level myself, having sucked out the overfilled oil, so it starts off at the MAX line, and if it rise to the top of the Orange Plastic (6% OD), I will just change the oil (and filter full of OD oil) myself, and carry on without worrying about OD (or what the Dealer could have screwed up when they had my car in for the TSB, or damaged the paintwork, or messed with the tire pressures etc etc).

Maybe in a year or so, once there is a little more History on the effects of this TSB, I will re-visit the option to get the TSB done, or whatever new updated version of the TSB they are recommending at the time.

In the meanwhile, I will enjoy my much improved "Honda Hacked" Infotainment system, and not worry about OD or the radio Warranty (both of which I can take care of myself, for far less hassle, cost & time being wasted, than relying on the Dealer).

In any case, I have already voided my warranty, I have modified my car with an Unauthorized Addon ...!!! OMG, I am ruined !!! There does my Manual Gearbox warranty !!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda to update 400k engines software ,143k of them civics fishy

If fishy had a middle finger, he would be waving it at the Dealer !!

------ And NO !!! I do not drive with that on the Gear Knob !!! It is just to keep the Gear Shift Knob cool in the summer's sun, and provide a conveniently handy "Micro-Fiber" type cloth, for wiping the "Static attracted dust" off the Infotainment Center Screen.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
BTW: I just spent the last 5 minutes checking my oil level.

It is still EXACTLY at the Max Line, after about 4000 miles since I last checked it, where it was set to the max line.

So, unless I am loosing/burning oil, I have no increase in OD over the last 4000 miles.

(Mid 2018 SI Coupe, with no OD TSB updates, and early enough manufactured in 2018, not to have the Updates done at the Factory)

The Catch-Can had accumulated about 1/8 teaspoon of liquid, which was only water.. zero oil or gas.

So maybe the addon Catch-Can was not really necessary, but the two BLUE HOSES do look cool -- and it isn't doing any damage ...

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I tend to agree with the above. Just look what the VW/Porsche/Audi Group just went through with Diesel Gate. Cost the companies Billions with a B, people went/or will go to jail and it's not over. I've read nothing about an increase of prices on the new vehicles since this blew up. If prices on cars went up due to TSB's from my Rav4 experience a new Rav would cost about $60k! Seems like I get a recall notice about once per month.(and most are B.S.)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tend to agree with the above. Just look what the VW/Porsche/Audi Group just went through with Diesel Gate. Cost the companies Billions with a B, people went/or will go to jail and it's not over. I've read nothing about an increase of prices on the new vehicles since this blew up. If prices on cars went up due to TSB's from my Rav4 experience a new Rav would cost about $60k! Seems like I get a recall notice about once per month.(and most are B.S.)
Toyota lost over a BILLION dollars with the sticky accelerator thing years back... and people died as a result. Ford/Firestone lost PILES of money over the blowing-tire-rolling-Explorer thing years before that, with multimillion dollar lawsuits. Airbag recall for defective ones that injured and killed people. In the whole scheme of things... it's pretty minor, and none of those last issues sunk an automaker. This isn't the sort of thing that will kill you so there aren't going to any large settlements. It'd take 1000 dead engines to even cost them a million, assuming $10k per engine/labor. It's just not that much money in the whole scheme of things. The real question to me is will it affect long term (10+ year, 150k+ mile engine durability?) Most of us, statistically, won't still have there cars and it'd be something that's affect the used market possibility... but Honda will have made their money.
It'd be a black mark on Honda to be sure... but many won't care/remember. This generation Civic/Accord/CRV would be long done. Maybe it would affect future sales... but that's not something we'll know for a bit. I do expect future sales to be less, but I think that'd be far more based on 10th gen getting long in the tooth with the competition offering something newer/better and not much about people being afraid of fuel dilution.
Sponsored