Should Honda have kept VTEC engines in Civics or is the 1.5T a welcome change?

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Well this turned into a striped debate. I agree the K series engines were awesome and still are. I would still love to get on older Civic and "K" swap it. I think the 1.5T L15 engines have their merits. The turbo allows for a lot more to play with tuning wise out of the box the are quick enough cars. I do not think they are the best Honda could come up with not by a long shot but every company now is pushing for lower emission and higher MPG. Getting more out of smaller displacement. That trend is only going to accelerate except in the top tier cars you pay through the nose for to get that raw visceral power at the cost of "economy".

I guess only time will tell but VTEC is still very relevant that is for sure.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I do not think [L15 engines]are the best Honda could come up with not by a long shot but every company now is pushing for lower emission and higher MPG.
This opinion, that Honda could have done better is based on what? Can you disclose any specific ideas, even vague ideas, about what a better engine could have been and what kind of technologies would it employ to take the place of these L15's during the 2016 - present?
Are you saying that your admiration and trust in Honda is so great, that even if you don't know exactly what and how, you just believe they can always do miracles? :bow:

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This opinion, that Honda could have done better is based on what? Can you disclose any specific ideas, even vague ideas, about what a better engine could have been and what kind of technologies would it employ to take the place of these L15's during the 2016 - present?
Are you saying that your admiration and trust in Honda is so great, that even if you don't know exactly what and how, you just believe they can always do miracles? :bow:
No just an opinion But hey I’m not a 1.5 T hater I bought one

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
The 1.0 Turbo P10A2 3 cylinder engine for the European and Asian Civic does have VTEC. Only the intake cam has the VTEC profile. The engine has only a small displacement of 1 liter and with the intake VTEC, the turbo lag isn't a problem anymore. Funny enough, it is equipped with a single mass flywheel instead of the dual mass flywheel setup of the 1.5T.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
I only drove the 1.5T for about a year and a half before upgrading, but I will say it was the most fun I'd had with a small car since my 2005 GTI 1.8T. I never experienced the "vtec, YO!" as I've joined the Honda family late in the game, but on its own my 2018 Si was a superbly balanced and fun car to drive.

Marrk

First Name
Marrk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
Country flag
I have never owned a car with forced induction. I always saw the downside as being 1) complexity and 2) heat.

I've owned two Fits and an S2000. Three cars that made me smile every time I drove them. I think it's the VTEC. :thumbsup:

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
As a previous owner of a FG2 and FA5. The high revving was pretty cool. The sound the top end feeling, instant response. It was Honda's biggest pride.

Right now I drive a car that pulls really hard but it doesn't sound the same as a K20Z3 engine revving to 8600 with I/H/E.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I do not think they are the best Honda could come up with not by a long shot but every company now is pushing for lower emission and higher MPG.
The best they could come up with would become the new ILX and cost a lot more than a Civic badge! LOL!

thetracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic FK6 1.0T
Country flag
I always thought Honda should have kept making NA engines because it's in their DNA. I considered Mazda's approach with the Skyactive-G better. But after I tested the 1.0t 126hp vs. 2.0 120hp I changed my mind. Mazda's 2.0 has way better response at lower revs, but it didn't like to rev and the gearing on the MT was interstellar. Driving experience was similar to a diesel; good up to 5/10 driving. Honda's 1.0t is laggy and a bit shaky bellow 2000rpm but has a linear pull to the redline, short gearing and it sounds much better doing so. I ended up buying the Civic so I guess going turbo won Honda at least one new customer :)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I was guessing it felt more like 158hp. :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen Should Honda have kept VTEC engines in Civics or is the 1.5T a welcome change? Screenshot_20200924-213013-02

Last edited:

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
son drives a 1993 del sol D16Z6.when he drives mommas 2018 2.0 CVT coupe he is wowed by the power.i havent let him drive my camaro.
Sponsored