Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
My understanding was IAT was the air coming into the air box, IAT2 is the air after the intercooler. It can climb because the engine starts to become heat soaked.

My IAT temps drop if I suck in a lot of air super quickly My IAT2 temps only drop if I am cruising for a while after I am heat soaked.
Your temps post intercooler will vary based on throttle input + ambient temp + speed. Your temps at the MAF shouldn't change nearly as much as the temps at the MAP.

Let's say you're cruising at 65 MPH and your IAT is 20F above ambient, once you add initial throttle, you will see this temperature drop because you have more air traveling through the intercooler core. Temps will then start to rise for prolonged WOT pulls dependent on the cooling efficiency of your intercooler.
Sponsored

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your temps post intercooler will vary based on throttle input + ambient temp + speed. Your temps at the MAF shouldn't change nearly as much as the temps at the MAP.

Let's say you're cruising at 65 MPH and your IAT is 20F above ambient, once you add initial throttle, you will see this temperature drop because you have more air traveling through the intercooler core. Temps will then start to rise for prolonged WOT pulls dependent on the cooling efficiency of your intercooler.

This is making me rethink things.... so IAT is not pre intercooler...?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I'm not sure if Hondata is different, but on KTuner IAT 2 is at the MAF and IAT is at the MAP (post IC)

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not sure if Hondata is different, but on KTuner IAT 2 is at the MAF and IAT is at the MAP (post IC)

I am pretty sure that on Hondata IAT is the MAF and IAT2 is the MAP.

My IAT dramatically reduce to ambient temps when I start to spool up and IAT2 temps are the ones that are super consistent. Even after getting heat soaked my IAT temps are lower than IAT2

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
My understanding was IAT was the air coming into the air box, IAT2 is the air after the intercooler. It can climb because the engine starts to become heat soaked.

My IAT temps drop if I suck in a lot of air super quickly My IAT2 temps only drop if I am cruising for a while after I am heat soaked.
thats is how intercoolers work. Intercoolers can’t cool down rapidly like sucking air past a sensor. Air unpressurized cools sensors faster. Don’t worry iat is intake. My logs all verify it anyway. You can’t make an intercooler charge temp lower than intake box after it’s hot.
You are right intercoolers can’t cool down rapidly.
eveyone seems to forget the air after the MAF goes through a hot turbo hot intercooler piping and a hot manifold. You can’t cool alll that down rapidly. It takes a much larger drop inside the intercooler to get cool air passed though parts at a lower temp. With the air box all it has to do is travel under 12 inches and an air box does t generate heat by itself so air rapidly cools it going through. Hondata put it reversed. I mentioned also I am a diagnostic tech and after 21 years I have never seen it backwards like that. I’m not suprused cause stock the intercooler was so bad any cool air cooled everything down.

OP
OP

Cano-FK8

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic TypeR
Country flag
Good Morning guys,
I wrap the inlet pipe,hose for the inlet pipes with that yellow tape and help a lot. I drive my car daily in Pembroke Pines area so is a red light every 10 seconds. I really dont know is that ptp downpipe cover help in somethig or is better take out and install the oem cover back? I think so I am better now but the cooler we can go the better no?
I will keep you posted.
Thanks so much!

FK8REY

First Name
Rey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I asked Ktuner yesterday which was which and this is their exact answer.

“For whatever reason they put the Type-R IATs backwards from the other CivicX applications in the datalogging protocol, so IAT1 should be post.”

Now, based on my experience I do believe as others have mentioned. At WOT IAT drops quickly and by several degrees. Which could only be possible at MAF due to the increased velocity of “atmospheric“ air past the sensor. I’m beginning to believe Ktuner‘s answer is incorrect.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good Morning guys,
I wrap the inlet pipe,hose for the inlet pipes with that yellow tape and help a lot. I drive my car daily in Pembroke Pines area so is a red light every 10 seconds. I really dont know is that ptp downpipe cover help in somethig or is better take out and install the oem cover back? I think so I am better now but the cooler we can go the better no?
I will keep you posted.
Thanks so much!

Based on this latest info, I wager your temps are just fine :) This is normal.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Hondata IAT temps at Map ( after intercooler )
IAT2 temps at Maf ( intake temps )

OP
OP

Cano-FK8

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic TypeR
Country flag
Based on this latest info, I wager your temps are just fine :) This is normal.
I was thinking will be a lot better after PRL Intercooler, PRL inercooler pipes and that inlet pipe but not too much... Let’s see after Resstar In PR tune it... I think I saw your car in Pembroke a couple weeks ago.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Some great info sharing going on here. Thank you for all the data, thoughts, and points, Good stuff!

GotBoost?

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan, 1992 Chevy Blazer
Country flag
Thanks, I did it yesterday wrap the inlet pipe and hose I will try it today becase is like driving 2 different cars between 100F and 120 F that 20 F change like 50whp I think. I let you know guys .
Thanks!
Hey OP I read thru the thread but could not see if you determined that wrapping the inlet pipe helped ? I'm deciding between a $170 PTP heat blanket or $20 PTP wrap. I do plan to buy the PTP turbo blanket but wanted to save a bit on the inlet pipe wrap if possible

'19 Si, PRL cobra CAI, TSP stage 1 map3... No other go fast bolt ons, 8k miles
Sponsored