Gas Mileage

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
You are in NY City so I guess that you will have a hard time topping 30mpg even if you hypermiled. Low 20's is what I would expect in that kind of driving, anything that is not full hybrid or electric will never top that by much. If you get out of the city or drive around late at night with no traffic you will be astonished by the difference. In my opinion everyone in a city area should be driving a hybrid. My 7 passenger Toyota Highlander Hybrid will easily get better mileage than even this Civic in gridlock.
Yea NY city day traffic is brutal.
Sponsored

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
New to the forum so I apologize in advance if it has already been answered...Anyone get above or near 25mpg in city driving or stop and go traffic? Just curious cuz I've been stuck at 20.9 mpg for the longest. Dont want to piss off other drivers by going too slow either when driving so i keep up with other traffic.

Other than coasting when i can (my cvt loves to coast in eco mode which is all i use) any other tips?

I do almost no highway driving. Just going to and from work.
I drive 10 miles to work and 10 back like a mad man in sport mode in stop and go traffic and I average 24mpg in a sedan. 21mpg in eco mode sounds low.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Shorter trips or more stop and less go will easily reduce the mileage.

Squirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
New to the forum so I apologize in advance if it has already been answered...Anyone get above or near 25mpg in city driving or stop and go traffic? Just curious cuz I've been stuck at 20.9 mpg for the longest. Dont want to piss off other drivers by going too slow either when driving so i keep up with other traffic.

Other than coasting when i can (my cvt loves to coast in eco mode which is all i use) any other tips?

I do almost no highway driving. Just going to and from work.
Just got a new 2016 LX automatic. I drive in eco mode all the time. I sit in bumper to bumper each morning and night (almost an hour in the morning, 45 minutes going home). So far in the couple days I've had the car, I'm averaging 28-29.5 mpg in the traffic. I haven't even really had the chance to take it out on any long stretch of road yet to test the mpg, 29.5 is the best I've got so far.

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
My lifetime mpg so far is currently 44.8 mpg after 5k miles with most trips still 50+ these days.

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
How are you doing that? I'm getting about 35-40.
Under 45 mph, very light acceleration, usually driving with load for hills (meaning I gradually slow down up hills to maintain throttle/gph flow), no jack rabbit starts, coasting up to red lights, rpm never over 2k. Usually cruise control mixed with ECO mode.

Most of my trips are 50-60 mpg these days, except for FL highways that are 70 mph which results in high 40's.

Getting mid 60's is more focused on slower speed while maximizing momentum and minimizing drag. Such as 35-45 mph. I usually prefer to avoid highways since they are all 70+ and that's awful for fuel efficiency. I prefer city driving on back roads. Usually I can avoid stopping at red lights since by the time I coast up those people who race to wait at a stopped light triggered it for me

opegas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None ☹
I'm not super happy with the mileage I'm getting in my EX-T. I've driven about 1400 miles and I'm getting 27.5 average in mostly city driving w/ eco mode on. I drive like a granny trying to coast as much as possible, no hard driving at all. Typical short trips from 5-12 miles at a time. I live in the foothills so I go up toward the mountains and can coast down equally. I was really hoping to get better.

Honda Civic 10th gen Gas Mileage IMG_2304.JPG

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I'm not super happy with the mileage I'm getting in my EX-T. I've driven about 1400 miles and I'm getting 27.5 average in mostly city driving w/ eco mode on. I drive like a granny trying to coast as much as possible, no hard driving at all. Typical short trips from 5-12 miles at a time. I live in the foothills so I go up toward the mountains and can coast down equally. I was really hoping to get better.

IMG_2304.JPG
Short trips mixed with engine not being warmed up plus elevation must be the issue. I'm in flat Florida and my lifetime average across 5300 miles is currently 44.8 mpg in my EX-T. I never go over 2k rpm though.

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T

IMG_2304.JPG
It might sound counterproductive, but I feel it's better to turn Econ mode off and not to be afraid to throttle up to get up hills. The algorithms that govern it seem to be designed for flat straightaways only and actually end up less efficient for situations where you actually need more acceleration to reach coasting speeds faster. I actually saw a 2-3mpg improvement (lifetime average 34mpg after 2000 miles) when I stopped using Econ mode and watching the gas consumption gauge in my commute.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag

IMG_2304.JPG
I don't even see how that is possible unless you are sitting in a ton of gridlock or using the remote start for several minutes before getting in your car. I got around 35mpg going up into the mountains in Vermont and about 90mpg coming down, and this was with a fully loaded car. When I drive Uber I am doing the worst possible cycle that I can imagine and my tanks end up in the high 30's with really bad trips in the high 20's.

Rutgers-05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I live in central suburban NJ and average around 25.6 and 26 if I take Route 1 ( local highway with some traffic and traffic lights). Bought the car in August and have 500 miles on it so far. I'd like to share my driving habits and see if any of you guys would be nice enough to give me any additional pointers on how to reach your 40-60 average MPG numbers. I'm hoping it's not an engine problem.

1. ECON mode is on. My trips are usually short and on local town roads with lots of traffic lights. Maybe once in a blue moon, I would take it on a local highway but have never sat in the car and drove for more than an hour. I'm debating on driving my car to work which will require me to drive on the NJ Turnpike for over 40-50 minutes towards NYC. Will that improve my MPG?

2. My AC is usually on. It's freezing here now but I'm reading that MPG improves if it's turned off. Is it okay to just leave the fan on?

3. That green / light green / white light indicator, is it okay to have it on white for just a few seconds on acceleration or should it ALWAYS be green?

4. What's the recommended time to let my car warm up before driving?

I'd also like to know when would the low MPG be considered a mechanical problem and not a driving style/habit issue? Let me know your thoughts!

quadna71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring sedan
Country flag
Last night we finished a round trip drive between Delaware and South Carolina - 42mpg on the way down and 41mpg on the way back up. Econ mode, a/c on the whole time, and at least a combined total of 1 hour sitting in traffic or in lines for parking at the port in Charleston. Not bad considering the Insight we traded in for the Civic had a lifetime average of 48.6mpg at the time of trade-in (at 110,000 miles). Our Civic now has around 9000 miles on it after owning it just shy of 3 months and we regularly get around 39-42mpg back and forth to work.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I live in central suburban NJ and average around 25.6 and 26 if I take Route 1 ( local highway with some traffic and traffic lights). Bought the car in August and have 500 miles on it so far. I'd like to share my driving habits and see if any of you guys would be nice enough to give me any additional pointers on how to reach your 40-60 average MPG numbers. I'm hoping it's not an engine problem.

1. ECON mode is on. My trips are usually short and on local town roads with lots of traffic lights. Maybe once in a blue moon, I would take it on a local highway but have never sat in the car and drove for more than an hour. I'm debating on driving my car to work which will require me to drive on the NJ Turnpike for over 40-50 minutes towards NYC. Will that improve my MPG?

2. My AC is usually on. It's freezing here now but I'm reading that MPG improves if it's turned off. Is it okay to just leave the fan on?

3. That green / light green / white light indicator, is it okay to have it on white for just a few seconds on acceleration or should it ALWAYS be green?

4. What's the recommended time to let my car warm up before driving?

I'd also like to know when would the low MPG be considered a mechanical problem and not a driving style/habit issue? Let me know your thoughts!
It sounds like you have a pretty bad scenario for mileage due to the short commute in town with heavy traffic. Still, I imagine that you should be able to achieve the 31mpg on the sticker without trying too hard, and possibly far better if you are willing to alter your habits more dramatically.

1. Driving on the turnpike unless it is pure gridlock will certainly improve your mileage.

2. I only use the AC on the highway over 55mph, under that I crack a window as I prefer the fresh air anyway. That might not be ideal in Jersey, but the A/C in my experience sucks down close to 10mpg in the city, but only a couple on the highway.

3. While light acceleration can save a little bit of gas it is not one of the main factors in getting good mileage. You can floor it any time that you think you can maintain that speed and still get good mileage, but flooring it just to slam on the breaks at the next light is 100% a waste. I give it hard gas on on-ramps and to make some yellow lights all the time, but if I know that I will just have to stop at the next light I accelerate slowly.

4. Modern cars require zero warm up time, you can just get in the car and go. Anything else is a waste of gas unless you have to defrost or something.
Sponsored