SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
I just got my daughter a 17 hatchback, 40,000mi. About a week ago.. Early graduation present that she chipped in on. No service records, but fluids, alignment and tire pressure are mint. Even new tires.

Her mpg display consistently reads about 30. She is a very conservative driver with no idle time to speak of. My 20-Si mpg display reads about 36.. lets just say I’m not conservative.
I know I should be tracking on paper. But I doesn’t seem normal. She should be getting better than me I would think.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
You have the service records from the first 40k miles? Could be that fluids/tires/alignment are due for service

OP
OP

SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
You have the service records from the first 40k miles? Could be that fluids/tires/alignment are due for service
[/. No service records, but fluids, alignment and tire pressure are mint. Even new tires

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
You said new tires? Were they still the same OEM tires that you got? New tires also can drop the mileage. Cause I myself notice a big drop from my mileage when I used wider and stickier tires.

DaiLo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does she do more stop and go traffic? Maybe she is more aggressive than you think when you're not around. I get about 30mpg too and while I don't beat it up, I am not a grandma behind the wheel either. Mostly stop and go with short or infrequent highway travel for me.

OP
OP

SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
You said new tires? Were they still the same OEM tires that you got? New tires also can drop the mileage. Cause I myself notice a big drop from my mileage when I used wider and stickier tires.
mileage was about the same with the aftermarket 18s with General HP tires.. we switched back to stock about 4 days ago.
Not OEM, but Michelins that are supposed to have really good rolling resistance. Cross climate+

Honda Civic 10th gen Low gas mileage? 454356A8-232C-4F5D-8BEB-BEFE8630B882

OP
OP

SiLee207

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Does she do more stop and go traffic? Maybe she is more aggressive than you think when you're not around. I get about 30mpg too and while I don't beat it up, I am not a grandma behind the wheel either. Mostly stop and go with short or infrequent highway travel for me.
She does do a lot of stop and go.. she drives pretty reasonable. Her mom and step dad track her with an app almost obsessively.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
mileage was about the same with the aftermarket 18s with General HP tires.. we switched back to stock about 4 days ago.
Not OEM, but Michelins that are supposed to have really good rolling resistance. Cross climate+
That is what I noticed with the stock Continental Contipro Contact which is classified as a “grand touring” tire since it was able to give me a 40 mpg the highest. Ever since when I went wider from 235 to 245 and I used “high performance all season” Michelin A/S 3+ tires, I couldn’t even hit at least 33-34 mpg anymore.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
She does do a lot of stop and go..
I think there's your answer. These cars have great mpgs on the highway. But in city stop and go where you are constantly on and off boost, mileage plummets.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Just pull & replace the horn fuse to reset the mpg reading, take it for a long drive, get it up around 40mpg and give it back to her. If it drops fast, it's probably just her driving style.

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just pull & replace the horn fuse & reset the mpg reading, take it for a long drive, get it up around 40mpg and give it back to her. If it drops fast, it's probably just her driving style.
Does this really work? Just curious.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just pull & replace the horn fuse & reset the mpg reading, take it for a long drive, get it up around 40mpg and give it back to her. If it drops fast, it's probably just her driving style.
Can't you just reset one of the trip odometers?

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Does this really work? Just curious.
It just resets the ECU mpg back to 0. Then your next drive will set the initial mpg and every drive after that will adjust from that #. Like, when I accidentally done it the 1st time it was 42mpg and 3 days to weeks of driving brought it down to like 38mpg. Another time I pulled it I didn't drive too long and got a 30mpg base and seemed like forever getting it up to like 34+mpg (but still slowly rises) again even tho I drive the same time/distance on the same roads. Reset the mpg and took it to 40mpg+, stays near 38mpg after weeks of driving..

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It just resets the ECU mpg back to 0. Then your next drive will set the initial mpg and every drive after that will adjust from that #. Like, when I accidentally done it the 1st time it was 42mpg and 3 weeks of driving brought it down to like 38mpg. Another time I pulled it I didn't drive too long and got a 30mpg base and seemed like forever getting it up to like 34+mpg (but still slowly rises) again even tho I drive the same time/distance on the same roads. Reset the mpg and took it to 40mpg+, stays near 38mpg after weeks of driving..
Thanks. I’ll give it a try.

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
some drivers think there are only 2 ways when driving a car: press gas or brake and don't realize many times you don't need to press any pedal to drive the car. these cars are light and coast pretty well.
Sponsored