Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
HEH now! Some of us "older crowd"(72yo here) love the FK8 styling and think the FL5 is taxi cab style with a Boi Racer wing hung on the back.
I think you misunderstood. I like the FK8. I'm saying Honda decided to tone things down yet added a tacked on looking spoiler. Honda is weird. Lol
Sponsored

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I just don't understand why we should even indulge the negativity or argue an FL5 enthusiast about a car we don't care about. This whole FL5 vs FK8 thing is stupid.

1 . We love Honda right, we want the cars to be successful

I think this animosity is coming from the Gall of not enough numbers produced the higher pricetag, and the dealer greed which is angering some of us towards arguing down the enthusiasts who want an FL5 and think it's great.

Lets be honest with ourselves...If the FL5 was more available and no markup half of you'll in your FK8's would be ready to trade in.

I'm sick and tired of this shit......If we don't like the FL5 ignore it. Regardless we want the damn platform to succeed. We should be cheering on Honda

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I'm sick and tired of this shit......If we don't like the FL5 ignore it. Regardless we want the damn platform to succeed. We should be cheering on Honda
Agree. To be frank it sounds like a lot of people don't want to admit their Type R isn't the mythical best Type R in North America anymore.

r712

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R (FK8) | 2017 Fit (GK5)
Country flag
Lol this is probably the only place on the internet I've seen where the FK8 styling is preferred over the new FL5 (as is expected) and the majority of people that prefer the FK8's styling actually own FK8s (again, which is expected).

At the end of the day, the only reason the FL5 will flop is due to markups and limited availability. Otherwise, it's still a hit.

The fact that the FL5 is a side-grade and visually different enough from our cars is a win for everyone. People that don't want a gundam with wheels can experience type R performance and FK8 owners won't feel the need to throw money at the newest shiny toy. I'm just happy that the FL5 uses a lot of compatible parts with the FK8 like power plant/wheels/brakes/etc, meaning that we'll have more years of aftermarket development for our cars.

...All seriousness aside, the only downside in my eyes is that as a civic type R FWD heritage purist, I have to sit here for another generation and filter through posts asking about why Honda doesn't stick AWD in the civic. SMH.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I think you misunderstood. I like the FK8. I'm saying Honda decided to tone things down yet added a tacked on looking spoiler. Honda is weird. Lol
No I totally understood and was just poking fun at the age reference. I agree with your assessment. It's all good.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just don't understand why we should even indulge the negativity or argue an FL5 enthusiast about a car we don't care about. This whole FL5 vs FK8 thing is stupid.

I think this animosity is coming from the Gall of not enough numbers produced the higher pricetag, and the dealer greed which is angering some of us towards arguing down the enthusiasts who want an FL5 and think it's great.

Lets be honest with ourselves...If the FL5 was more available and no markup half of you'll in your FK8's would be ready to trade in.

The only thing is --- this is a discussion forum. It's not like your mom saying "kids, if you don't have something nice to say about something, don't say anything". Just saying.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The only thing is --- this is a discussion forum. It's not like your mom saying "kids, if you don't have something nice to say about something, don't say anything". Just saying.
No i get it.....I'm not trying to silence I'm just saying It's ridiculous that we have to be at odds about the platform.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I like the FL5. I think it's amazing overall. :thumbsup: Just not a fan of the wing and insane ADM.

Byron - look, we all know that car enthusiasts are passionate. And every new generation we tend to nitpick. It's just how it is.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Meh I think people are more disappointed by the performance jump. Kind of like how the EP3 to FN2 was. Updated car with same internals and negligible performance increase. At the end of the day the FN2 is still an R, but a disappointment from the previous gen. The jump from FK2 to FK8 was more substantial performance wise where the FK8 to FL5 seems less so.
Actually the true successor to the EP3 was the FD2. The FN2 was more of a Euro thing, although technically a type R (and it did eventually get sold in Japan in small numbers as a type R Euro).

FK7_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 Acura MDX Elite
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually the true successor to the EP3 was the FD2. The FN2 was more of a Euro thing, although technically a type R (and it did eventually get sold in Japan in small numbers as a type R Euro).
The FN2 was the Type R for everywhere but Japan and Malaysia. So no it actually wasn’t. Like the EP3 the FN2 was made in the swindon assembly plant and was considered the international Civic Type R unlike the FD2.

r712

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R (FK8) | 2017 Fit (GK5)
Country flag
I've said this in another thread, but FL5 styling-wise, I do miss the dedicated fog lights and sidemarkers. The wing would look less tacked-on/ebay-special if it was paint matched, but I did see a picture somewhere (can't remember where) of an FL5 with a GT-style wing, and it singlehandedly brought back a lot of the aggressiveness that I like.

Performance-wise, I'm hesitant to draw conclusions unless tested on the same tires. But as far as suspension goes, I already think my 2017 FK8 with spoon springs on +R mode was on the sweet spot of stiffness for performance and daily driving. Can't imagine I'd enjoy the added stiffness more unless I spent significant time at the track.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Today I saw a CW FL5 up close in the parking lot of the service center at my local dealer. Looks nice and clean. I've always liked the looks and pose of the FL5 since it was revealed in camo.

But... seeing it upclose in person, I feel that for a Type R, it looks a bit bland and boxy upfront. Too horizontal hood and vertical facia. We'll have to see how aftermarket body mods by JDM companies will do to its looks.

A guy at my dealer is telling me people are paying $70K before tax and license. This is Southern CA, so I'm not surprised.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Byron,
I am just glad to see Honda come out with another manual, ICE Type R. I am glad that it is appealing enough so that they will sell quickly and send the message to Honda and others that there is still a strong market for enthusiast cars, especially ones that work well as daily drivers.

I am glad they addressed the cooling, and made some other tweaks.

That said:

I doubt that most FK8 owners who offer their critiques of the FL5 are just sour grapes posters who would get one if they could.
I have not test driven an FL5 yet, let alone tracked it, so I am withholding judgment on that aspect.
From what I have seen, for me the FK8 styling works better. But then I am just 67, so what do you expect?
Even Jakob and Yuri of Straight Pipes split on the styling of FL5 vs FK8. So now Type R lovers have a styling choice. Given the cost of a new FL5 with ADM, a preowned FK8 may work better for many.

We support Honda by having passion and appreciation for the amazing cars they build. Not by rubber stamping every decision with our collective approval. Heck, if nobody criticized, you would still be adjusting volume on your FL5 with a virtual slider, have no individual modes, and watch your Type R suffer heat soak after only a few hot laps.
We support Honda in the way that really matters - we buy their products, especially the fun ones.
We are friends of Honda. You have to be honest with your friends. Tough love, but love all the same.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People will really not buy this car because its a few tenths of a second slower in a roll race and 1/4 mile? ROFL. I dont live my life a 1/4 mile at a time.. I couldnt care less that the new R is a little slower than the current R. Ill buy one if I can find one at MSRP in a year or two - I am not in a rush, but I also wont write it off because its not faster in a straight line. If that really mattered to me I would go buy a Mustang GT.
You must be the only person who's willing to spend more for a slower new car.
Sponsored