FK8 vs FL5 interesting result

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
No sour grapes from me. just what the dealers charge this time around

the fl5 is so different in appearance, it may as well be a whole other car.

You just cant go wild to mild without anyone saying anything.

Anyways go to the ai image generator and put in type R. 😆
Sponsored

OP
OP
FK8CW2019

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Everyone has their opinion and I myself already owned type R so doesn't make sense to buy another one. For 70k I can think of so many options out there right now

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Everyone has their opinion and I myself already owned type R so doesn't make sense to buy another one. For 70k I can think of so many options out there right now
This.

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
The most crushing thing about it is that Honda didn't even go for a last hurrah as far as ICE goes. Not that there was much to improve on but it's sad that on paper the last non electric type r will go down as an accord with wider tires and a better headunit going for $20k more than the previous gen.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
It's called an RS3 lol
nahhh… that’s 600hp rated at 400hp on a hamster sprint wheel :) I had a deposit on a white RS3 2023 but got an S5 instead. Already doing 0 60 in 3.2 seconds and the quarter in 11.5s @ 117 with just a jb4 map 6 custom on E30 …. No Strap-on’s! :) Later I’ll do a TTE710 turbo upgrade and tune …

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Hearing them talk about how ugly and immature the FK8 looks does get old quick and is annoying. That and some YouTubers saying the FL5 is so much better when it’s more like a minor upgrade unless you’re considering the exterior and interior which is subjective
to say the fl5 is better for me it had to brake the fk8 record on the real track the nurburgring ,it was tested and never could brake the record thats alot to say

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I think you misunderstood. I like the FK8. I'm saying Honda decided to tone things down yet added a tacked on looking spoiler. Honda is weird. Lol
I believe Honda did much more testing on the fk8 than on the fl5

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
My feeling is that Honda hasn't published the 'ring time because they're aiming to break the FWD record and beat the Megane. Simply beating the FK8 time is not worth the announcement for them. They know people are paying almost double the price without having to announce anything. Their previous FL5 testing was in camo, pre-prod cars. Now they're testing with the production cars in full reveal Championship White. If they're going to publish a record, it must be on one of those cars. The Fk8 record was recorded on a production CW car.

I feel that the FL5 has enough advantages over the FK8 that it should be able to readily beat its 'ring record. Some folks make a big deal out of the extra weight (66 lbs). Sometimes I have a 200+ lbs instructor riding in the passenger seat and all I could muster is may be a second faster without the passenger in the same track day. This has been a repeated experience.

Some of the advantages the FL5 has over the FK8 stock to stock:
  • 1" wider track. I feel this is the biggest advantage and makes a big difference in preventing body roll and handling higher G-forces
  • Longer wheelbase gives it more stability at higher speeds, especially on tracks like the 'ring
  • Lower center of gravity
  • Wider tires
  • Better cooling to keep the power at maximum for longer
  • A slightly more HP and TQ
  • 25% stiffer chassis and suspension bushings
In addition, I feel that the FL5 has a higher mod potential than the FK8. The extra spacing and room in the engine compartment means bigger turbos, radiators, intercoolers, etc. The wider track and room in the wheel wells means you can easily fit wider tires. On the FK8, you have to put spacers to get to 295. Even getting to 275 for me meant I had to roll the front fender and cut the rear fenders to avoid rubbing.

Despite all of that, it's not worth the upgrade for me. All of the above translates to sligh performance improvement that doesn't justify the big upgrade cost, especially if you're heavily invested in modding your FK8.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
My feeling is that Honda hasn't published the 'ring time because they're aiming to break the FWD record and beat the Megane. Simply beating the FK8 time is not worth the announcement for them. They know people are paying almost double the price without having to announce anything. Their previous FL5 testing was in camo, pre-prod cars. Now they're testing with the production cars in full reveal Championship White. If they're going to publish a record, it must be on one of those cars. The Fk8 record was recorded on a production CW car.

I feel that the FL5 has enough advantages over the FK8 that it should be able to readily beat its 'ring record. Some folks make a big deal out of the extra weight (66 lbs). Sometimes I have a 200+ lbs instructor riding in the passenger seat and all I could muster is may be a second faster without the passenger in the same track day. This has been a repeated experience.

Some of the advantages the FL5 has over the FK8 stock to stock:
  • 1" wider track. I feel this is the biggest advantage and makes a big difference in preventing body roll and handling higher G-forces
  • Longer wheelbase gives it more stability at higher speeds, especially on tracks like the 'ring
  • Lower center of gravity
  • Wider tires
  • Better cooling to keep the power at maximum for longer
  • A slightly more HP and TQ
  • 25% stiffer chassis and suspension bushings
In addition, I feel that the FL5 has a higher mod potential than the FK8. The extra spacing and room in the engine compartment means bigger turbos, radiators, intercoolers, etc. The wider track and room in the wheel wells means you can easily fit wider tires. On the FK8, you have to put spacers to get to 295. Even getting to 275 for me meant I had to roll the front fender and cut the rear fenders to avoid rubbing.

Despite all of that, it's not worth the upgrade for me. All of the above translates to sligh performance improvement that doesn't justify the big upgrade cost, especially if you're heavily invested in modding your FK8.
How is it going to beat the ring record, when beating said record is all about rolling speed bursts - since it's about that, and the FK8 beat the FL5 when they tested roll racing, I'm not sure how the car will magically beat any records tbh. Throttle house lined them up and it wasn't even close. You put that on a track and I think the FK8 will actually be quite a bit faster since it's faster where it counts and not just on the dyno.

Ron21

First Name
Rom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
10th gen have stronger internal/ last longer than 11th gen?

just found this videohttps://youtu.be/IwkfZYNzP0A

I guess even seeing the few seconds or a minute of video, you already know why.

edit: Just wanna share what I found

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
10th gen have stronger internal/ last longer than 11th gen?

just found this videohttps://youtu.be/IwkfZYNzP0A

I guess even seeing the few seconds or a minute of video, you already know why.

edit: Just wanna share what I found
That's not a Type R 2.0 liter bud so not really applicable to this discussion neat link though thanks for sharing.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
So wider tires and newer rubber makes the fl5 faster around a track.
There is a 0% chance that the FL5 is 1 second faster per lap than the FK8 in a meaningful comparison. Especially on a track with a sub-75 second lap time.

The FK8 in that video has worn-out OEM Continental tires, they said so right in the video. The OEMs aren't very good when new, they are junk when they get some miles on them. So there is no point in making any track time comparisons with such a tire disadvantage.

Put 245/30R20 P4S tires on the 10th gen and then run them back-to-back. That is the only comparison that would mean anything. And I bet the FK8 wins.

But slower in a straight line.
Lugging around 90 extra pounds is what slowed down the FL5, not the bigger tires.
tire and wheel swap, which is common on our platform negates fl5 advantages.
your basically paying for new looks and infotainment. Not worth the adm.
This I agree with.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Slower from a roll, not from the line.
The same thing as my above comment about track times applies to the drag race from a stop. The FK8 had worn-out OEM tires, which are not good when new. And really bad when worn out and the ambient temperature is low as it was when this video was recorded.

Unless the FK8 has a fair shot with tires that will even half work, the drag race comparison in this video is meaningless.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Fun, but not fair to compare a well broken in FK8 to a brand spanking new FL5. The roll race will be closer once the FL5 has some mileage on it.
Modern engines don't "break in" like older engines. The power on the FL5 is never going to improve no matter how many miles it has on it.
Sponsored