Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Modern engines don't "break in" like older engines. The power on the FL5 is never going to improve no matter how many miles it has on it.
In fact, there's an argument to be made that it'll decrease across time.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If both were true why does Honda recommend a break-in period and why does gas mileage improve by about 10 % over the first 3-5 k-miles?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
You guys all sound like you have your head in the sand. One review had a FK8 go faster. ONE.

Literally everyone else, including SavageGeese, indicated how the cars seem similar over short distances. It's after longer tracks, multiple laps, endurance, where the FL5 will start to gain seconds over the FK8.

Honda ain't stupid. They wouldn't make the FL5 slower.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You guys all sound like you have your head in the sand. One review had a FK8 go faster. ONE.

Literally everyone else, including SavageGeese, indicated how the cars seem similar over short distances. It's after longer tracks, multiple laps, endurance, where the FL5 will start to gain seconds over the FK8.

Honda ain't stupid. They wouldn't make the FL5 slower.
Hmm, they made the new Accord slower.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a matter of fact, they made the 11th gen Civic slower also. So where's your proof?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Buddy. Use 1% brain power here. The regular Civic's and Accord are used for putting around town. They aren't meant to be setting records. Come on man. If you drive them independently you wouldn't even notice a difference. The Accord is slower because it lost the 2.0....in favour of a new Hybrid system. The Si is marginally slower, but its dynamics have improved. Where is the Si mean't to be used? As a daily street car...again not setting records.

Last edited:

CharlieTangoRomeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 SGP CTR
Country flag
Modern engines don't "break in" like older engines. The power on the FL5 is never going to improve no matter how many miles it has on it.
It is quite common for a Honda to gain speed after thousands of miles are on the odo. Car and Driver and some of the other reviewers routinely state this and the trend can be seen in long term testing data. The same has been shown for the Hyundai products.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Throttle house lined them up and it wasn't even close. You put that on a track and I think the FK8 will actually be quite a bit faster since it's faster where it counts and not just on the dyno.
There are many cars that are faster than the FK8 in a roll race yet got beaten by the FK8 on the 'ring. The track has many considerations that factor heavily. In the same Throttle House episode where the FK8 beat the FL5 in a roll race, the FL5 beat the FK8 on the track. And the FL5 beat the FK8 LE at Suzuka. If you look at the finish line video frame, the FK8 isn't walking the FL5 by much, not by a car length.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 vs FL5 interesting result Fk8 FL5 Roll Race Thorttle House

Beating the Megane to regain the 'ring FWD record will be more difficult than beating the the FK8 record. But I believe that Honda is trying these days.

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
I think beating the Megane is just too far off when you consider all these safety regulations and pollution output that are changing every model generation. Maybe in the next Ev type r.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My feeling is that Honda hasn't published the 'ring time because they're aiming to break the FWD record and beat the Megane. Simply beating the FK8 time is not worth the announcement for them. They know people are paying almost double the price without having to announce anything. Their previous FL5 testing was in camo, pre-prod cars. Now they're testing with the production cars in full reveal Championship White. If they're going to publish a record, it must be on one of those cars. The Fk8 record was recorded on a production CW car.

I feel that the FL5 has enough advantages over the FK8 that it should be able to readily beat its 'ring record. Some folks make a big deal out of the extra weight (66 lbs). Sometimes I have a 200+ lbs instructor riding in the passenger seat and all I could muster is may be a second faster without the passenger in the same track day. This has been a repeated experience.

Some of the advantages the FL5 has over the FK8 stock to stock:
  • 1" wider track. I feel this is the biggest advantage and makes a big difference in preventing body roll and handling higher G-forces
  • Longer wheelbase gives it more stability at higher speeds, especially on tracks like the 'ring
  • Lower center of gravity
  • Wider tires
  • Better cooling to keep the power at maximum for longer
  • A slightly more HP and TQ
  • 25% stiffer chassis and suspension bushings
In addition, I feel that the FL5 has a higher mod potential than the FK8. The extra spacing and room in the engine compartment means bigger turbos, radiators, intercoolers, etc. The wider track and room in the wheel wells means you can easily fit wider tires. On the FK8, you have to put spacers to get to 295. Even getting to 275 for me meant I had to roll the front fender and cut the rear fenders to avoid rubbing.

Despite all of that, it's not worth the upgrade for me. All of the above translates to sligh performance improvement that doesn't justify the big upgrade cost, especially if you're heavily invested in modding your FK8.
What wheels would you use to get to a 295 width tire? According to the System Motorsports blog, they had fender clearance issues when they put a 18x10 +41 wheel with a 265/31 tire on:

https://www.systemmotorsports.blog/...ent-thread-system-motorsports-updated-8312022

Unless higher offset wheels become more available it looks like the FL5 is going to require more fender work for wider tires, not less.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
What wheels would you use to get to a 295 width tire? According to the System Motorsports blog, they had fender clearance issues when they put a 18x10 +41 wheel with a 265/31 tire on:

https://www.systemmotorsports.blog/...ent-thread-system-motorsports-updated-8312022

Unless higher offset wheels become more available it looks like the FL5 is going to require more fender work for wider tires, not less.
Thanks for sharing this link. I'm surprised it comes stock with 9.5 width wheel and 10 is causing tires to rub.