First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just don't buy into 10k or so for oil changes. And this is going back for years when BMW started it. Do ask you feel, but I'm not going past 6k regardless of MM. funny thing is, my old car a venza, they went from 5w20 to 0w20 following year and somehow, they went from every 5k to 10k? same engine, just different oil (blend to full synth).
I agree that when BMW started the 10k and then 15k interval for a bit, they were stretching it, so I understand the skepticism. Especially since their drivers aren't always easy on the car lol. Ford did the same thing a few years back, increased the recommended interval to 7.5k vs. 5k. Cars didn't change, but internal testing saw no increased wear. Granted I do 80% highway driving in a somewhat rural area, so 10k has worked for me. But if you're doing a mix on 495/66/295/395 etc., the MM isn't gonna trigger at 10k.
Sponsored

nra4usa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic and 2016 Tacoma
Country flag
Honda dealers do not want your car to breakdown early. Do you know what that would do to the brand?

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
regardless of MM, I'm doing oil change no later than 6k. in my mind, Honda and dealers don't want your car to last a long time (over 6 years) so they say 6-13k. Even wiith cars that go 10k, I still changed oil around 6-7k.

now my question is: doesn't this car use synthetic? why would one use blend? 0w-20 isn't a blend. or whyw ould anyone use conventional oil?
Several comments.

One see lots of very vintage Hondas still out and about. The body on many of them looks very suspect. But they still run and aren't belching blue smoke. Honda has a very good history of engine durability. If only their body and trim, and, for some models, transmissions, lasted that long. Permit me to doubt all or even most of these high time Hondas have always had their oil changed more often than, or even as often as, Honda recommends. Rare is the dead Honda that went to its grave from lubrication related engine failure.

The standard Honda 0W-20 is a synthetic blend. I'm pretty sure the only Honda-branded 0W-20s are blend and full synthetic. The only reason people would use conventional is to save a couple of nickels.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Had first oil change at dealership. Had 7500 miles and 15% oil on reminder. I cost $89 + tax.
PS. Initially wanted to go with full synthetics oil, but changed my mind. Will do it later

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
New Civic is at 800 miles and oil life at 90%. Finance guy at dealer told me that, in his opinion, you break about even with the prepaid maintenance plan -- it's just that some folks like to pay in advance (I declined).

Just checked oil-change price at my dealer. Current special $17 for 5w20 ($10 more full synthetic blend) reg. price $37, filter included. Don't know cost of full synthetic, nor what "full synthetic blend" means. Was told at new owners clinic that dealer buys oil in very large quantities and can keep price down. I get first change free (as new owner) plus coupon given at clinic for another free change and tire rotation.

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
There's no such thing as a "full synthetic blend" is either full synthetic, or synthetic blend. For the 2.0s the blend will work fine, but for the turbo 1.5s everyone should be running full synthetic due to turbo temperatures and the direct injection carbon issues, you want to use the best oil within you're price range. Synthetic is always the best way to go imo. I've used it from day 1 and I am relentless on my engines and I've never had any engine oil related issues with synthetic.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
What is the best full synthetic I can use, in your opinion?

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
For normal synthetic I prefer Pennzoil, Mobil1, or Castrol Syntec. For ultimate; cost is no issue oil: AMSOIL

Specvspeedfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MS3, 2016 Civic Sedan EX-L
Country flag
All I gotta say is Honda does not need tighten the fuck out of the oil filter!.. will need to buy a wrench type remover, thank you lol

sngx1275

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic LX, 2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
I had my first oil change done at the dealer because first change was free. This was done at 7466 miles, and iirc I had 40% oil life remaining. I got it changed because I was planning a long trip and happened to be in the same town as the dealer I bought it from (it is an hour drive to nearest Honda dealer for me).

I just did the second oil change this afternoon and thought I need to be logging all this stuff for warranty purposes, so I dug out my receipt from the first change. The paperwork indicates the Honda dealer put in a synth blend, or as they called it a "semi-synthetic oil". They did also indicate they changed the filter and crush washer.

Today I put in Pennzoil Platnium 0W-20 and changed the filter, for the filter I used a Fram Ultra Synthetic (XG7317). Also replaced crush washer. The oil change went smooth as expected. The placement of the filter is quite a bit nicer than the placement on my 2002, however it is just as messy to remove. I've got a circular catch pan and there is no way I'd be able to have the plug and oil filter out and catch drips from both. So I drained the oil, then replugged it, then removed the filter, installed new filter, then drained some more oil before replacing the plug/crush washer and putting the new oil in.

I had 10,182 miles on that oil.. My Maintenance Minder said the oil life was at 20% but I figured I'd do it now because of the mileage and I'm not sure when I'll have as nice of weather as I did today to change it. I'm a bit disappointed in the dealer in putting in a synth blend, but most people here seem to say changing oil based on the MM is adequate so I guess I'm ok. I'm recording all of this in a spreadsheet and I took photos so I think I'm covered for warranty.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
I have had the MM on my previous 2006 and 2008 civics and i always changed my oil at 5000 miles,no exceptions

I am going to do the same with my 2017 regardless of what the MM says.

5000 miles is 5000 miles doesnt matter if its hwy/city,whatever,thats the max amount of miles im willing to go.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had the MM on my previous 2006 and 2008 civics and i always changed my oil at 5000 miles,no exceptions

I am going to do the same with my 2017 regardless of what the MM says.

5000 miles is 5000 miles doesnt matter if its hwy/city,whatever,thats the max amount of miles im willing to go.
You might want to go a little further, for the factory oil break in, if has special properties in it. I did mine at 30% left.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I had my first oil change done at the dealer because first change was free. This was done at 7466 miles, and iirc I had 40% oil life remaining. I got it changed because I was planning a long trip and happened to be in the same town as the dealer I bought it from (it is an hour drive to nearest Honda dealer for me).

I just did the second oil change this afternoon and thought I need to be logging all this stuff for warranty purposes, so I dug out my receipt from the first change. The paperwork indicates the Honda dealer put in a synth blend, or as they called it a "semi-synthetic oil". They did also indicate they changed the filter and crush washer.

Today I put in Pennzoil Platnium 0W-20 and changed the filter, for the filter I used a Fram Ultra Synthetic (XG7317). Also replaced crush washer. The oil change went smooth as expected. The placement of the filter is quite a bit nicer than the placement on my 2002, however it is just as messy to remove. I've got a circular catch pan and there is no way I'd be able to have the plug and oil filter out and catch drips from both. So I drained the oil, then replugged it, then removed the filter, installed new filter, then drained some more oil before replacing the plug/crush washer and putting the new oil in.

I had 10,182 miles on that oil.. My Maintenance Minder said the oil life was at 20% but I figured I'd do it now because of the mileage and I'm not sure when I'll have as nice of weather as I did today to change it. I'm a bit disappointed in the dealer in putting in a synth blend, but most people here seem to say changing oil based on the MM is adequate so I guess I'm ok. I'm recording all of this in a spreadsheet and I took photos so I think I'm covered for warranty.
Wow so you went 2500 miles and it was at 20% from the syn blend, smh at youre dealer.. good on ya changing it yourself with quality stuff :bow:

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Had first oil change at dealership. Had 7500 miles and 15% oil on reminder. I cost $89 + tax.
PS. Initially wanted to go with full synthetics oil, but changed my mind. Will do it later
I am assuming it is $89 + tax USD since you wrote miles...Is it really that much at the stealership? :eek:

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
When did you guys get your first oil change?
I'm at 4577km/2844mi and my maintenance minder says my oil life is at 60%.
I haven't changed the oil since picking up the car.
I haven't kept track exactly, but have bought about 20 new cars over the last 40 years. I always change the oil the first time between 600-800 miles. I know the oil itself isn't in need of replacement, but I just want to get all the small particles left over from the break in out of the engine. I do it again between 2500-3000. Same reason. Just my $.02
Sponsored