First Oil Change? Mileage?

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
New car 2018 Civic Hatchback. Miles 5,200 and the screen say 50%. I hear you should wait until it says 15%? What was your milage for the first oil change? Just go off the screen based on driving? Still in break in period?

Thanks
Sponsored

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I agree, at least annually. My Civic was built in December 18, did first OC at 5k as is my usual practice. MM was at 40%. Blackstone UOA showed usual metals for first OC, oil dilution was at 1%. Admittedly, I'm a bit fussy about oil, changed to M1 0W-20 EP from the AFE I had been using, been using Mobil1 oil & filters for many years now with good results. I plan to keep this car at least 5-7 years. Honestly, I could easily use the Honda Full-Synthetic and the Honda filters and probably not see much difference, but the 5k changes with a product I've used and had good results with increase my comfort level. I could comfortably go to 7500mi intervals with the EP, however the 5k intervals sync with other scheduled services and I like tire rotations and having the car get a multi-point inspection every 5k or 6 months. The $35 that the oil & filter cost is, I think, a reasonable expense for the peace of mind.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I'll wait MM or 10-15% . Keep original breaking oil more than less.

Next oil changes, once a year at least
Sponsored